Resetting restrictions code

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bballrob, Jul 10, 2013.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Does anyone know if there is a way to reset the restrictions code in the general setting without resetting and restoring the whole phone?

I guess I'm getting older now and don't recall which of the many password I used to lock this thing and keep my kids from being able to change things I don't want them too. I've tried the 4 different 4-digit pass codes I've used commonly in the last, and made several other wild guesses based on how I set codes when I'm in a hurry sometimes. I'm up to about 16 failed attempts now And must wait one hour after each attempt before trying again.

If there's no way to reset it without having to totally reinstall everything, I may be forced to reveal part of how I have a tendency to pick passwords and then let people suggest what it may be and give an award to whoever gets it.

Sent using iCafe app

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

These directions are a couple years old so I'm not sure if it still works:

"1. Download iPhone Backup Extractor http://supercrazyawesome.com/ (This is for OSX, if you are using Windows there are other Backup Extractor programs although my iPhone syncs with a Mac so you will have to tweak these directions to work with the Windows program, here is one of the Windows programs I found: http://www.iPhonebackupextractor.com/)
    2. Extract the Zip file you downloaded, move the App to your Applications folder, then run the App
    3. Click on Read Backups, in the window that pops up click on the backup file of the device you need the lost pin for, then click Choose
    4. You will have a list of all the Apps on the phone. Scroll to the bottom of the list and click on iOS Files, then click on Extract. Choose a folder where you want the files to be extracted to.
    5. After it finishes extracting go to the folder where you extracted the files and follow this directory path: iOS Files --> Library --> Preferences
    6. In that folder find the file "com.apple.springboard.plist" and open it. (Read note below if on Windows)
    7. In Property List Editor look for the key titled "SBParentalControlsPin"
    8. Look to the right of that entry and you will see the 4 digit PIN. You can now remove/modify parental controls."

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Those directions may have been a godsend, however, I'm still at work and wouldn't have been able to try them til I got home tonight.

But on the 18th try, I guessed correctly -- 1111.

But thanks again for your expertise.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You're welcome. Glad you remembered it - that's easier. :)