Resetting the Triple-Home-Click "Accessibility Shortcut" to "Off"

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Rafagon, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I was checking out something that required a bit of experimenting so I went to:

Settings > General > Accessibility > I scrolled all the way down to “Accessibility Shortcut” where I saw that it was set to "Off".

Like this:

(This is not my screenshot)

off.png

My testing required that I go into Accessibility Shortcut and set it to "Invert Colors".

After I was done with my testing, I wanted to turn set it back to "Off", but, try as I may, I was unable to do so.

Is there a way to turn the Accessbility Shortcut back to off? Or did Apple neglect to provide a way to do so? It's not a big issue if I have to let it stay that way, but if I can turn it back off, I would prefer to do so.

2. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

If you are unable to turn it on through Settings -> General -> Accessibility, I would try through iTunes.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT5018

I wasn't even aware of enabling/disabling Accessibility features this way.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you for the reply... I tried it, but the options offered via iTunes are a very small subset of everything you can enable or disable as far as Accessibility settings via the iPhone itself.

I don't see anywhere on the phone where I can set the setting I mentioned back to "Off"... I guess I can just wait for the next time I need to "Reset All Settings"... This Accessibility Shortcut issue alone isn't worth resorting to that.

4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

It can be done through settings as you might expect. I tried out the option/trick as well. It took more than a couple of "click-runs" to finally set accessibility off again. I seem to recall it was the speed of the clicks of the home button that made the difference for me to finally "fix" it.
    YMMV

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I'm sorry, but we might not be on the same page. Are you saying that you were able to set Accessibility Shortcut back to the original "Off" setting... by repeatedly clicking on the Home button (at a particular speed of clicks) to turn it back to off?

off.jpg (this is not my screenshot; I added the magenta oval)

I set it to "Invert Colors" during the experimenting I mentioned in the first post (where I created this thread), and while it offers me the chance to set it to one of the other functions (see below), it does not offer me a chance to turn it back to "Off":

invert.PNG

(This one immediately above is my screenshot. I can select any of those six functions for the Triple-Home-Click but I cannot seem to be able to turn it back to "Off".)

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

So before your test, if you tripple clicked the home button, nothing happened? But now one of the options listed in your screenshot occurs? And you can't turn it back to Off where nothing happens when you tripple click your home button? Wow! My research got nothing. Everything I found on that only wants to show how to turn it on and use the options.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You got it! That's exactly what is happening. I can live with it doing the Inverted Colors thing for home button triple-click—it's not like I'm accidentally triple-clicking the home button 24/7 or anything like that... It's just that it would be nice to have it on "Off" if I don't need any of the special functions to fire when I triple click—which I don't (knock on wood). It's just an OCD/anal thing... whatever you wanna call it :)

It would be nice if Apple let you assign anything you want to that triple-click... like calling a specific VIP, or automatically launching Safari and loading a web page of my choosing... but I currently have no use for any of the six features that they do allow you to choose from.

8. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Sorry, I currently have no need/use for the triple click toggle. That's what I was able to turn off eventually.

9. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I see. There is no obvious solution other than a "Reset All Settings". Not very elegant, if you ask me. Why would Apple allow you to set something, and then not allow you to undo it? I thought Mr. Ive had things under control.

I am doing some preliminary research and stumbled upon this:

Watch Out! iOS 8 ‘Reset All Settings’ Bug Could Wipe your iCloud Files

So I'll have to exercise caution if I decide to go that route.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That bug was fixed a couple months ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List