Resolution, resolution

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bishop

Mar 3, 2007
Finland
Why oh why is the resolution mediocre? I may have to buy the phone, but I don't have to like the resolution on the screen!

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4548

Even the Meizu M8 has better resolution, much much better! When i saw the m8 i thote its smaller, better res yup ill get it! That didn't last for long, only until I found out that it has (for reasons unknown) no Wi-Fi. So now I'm back on the waiting list for the iPhone, until someone makes a similar phone with better resolution :laugh2:

toss002

Mar 7, 2007
I know. BUT...

I agree to some extent. Like you, Bishop, I also wish iPhone can have more resolution like M8. (In addition, M8 is Windows CE based. And I have been a pocketPC user for years. And I know all about Windows CE.)

BUT you have to take all things in consideration, here are some:

The more resolution you have, the more battery drain you get.

M8 or Windows CE is a "Touch" NOT a "Multi-Touch."

M8 or Windows CE is nice, but not as smooth as the iPhone OS is.

M8 or Windows CE also somewhat unstable, iPhone OS is likely not.

iPhone has many new patented features such smooth scrolling (by finger flickering) and rotation sensor. Again, I have used Windows CE for years, its interface is nothing like iPhone's, which is not as pleasent.

Addition hidden details of iPhone features here:

iPhone has all iSupport...music, iTune, etc.

My point is that although iPhone has some disadvantages, SO does M8.

The key for the iPhone is user-friendly based.

Definitely, there are more things to consider.

So, Bishop, can you really wait? :laugh2:

Kabeyun

Silver
Jan 10, 2007
Northeast US
I tend to agree with toss002.
Also, I'm not so sure 328 x 480 @ 160 ppi should be considered "mediocre." My Treo 650's 320 x 320 screen is beautiful, even watching video.

-K

ebrunn

Silver
Feb 6, 2007
Minneapolis
Why oh why is the resolution mediocre? I may have to buy the phone, but I don't have to like the resolution on the screen!

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4548

Even the Meizu M8 has better resolution, much much better! When i saw the m8 i thote its smaller, better res yup ill get it! That didn't last for long, only until I found out that it has (for reasons unknown) no Wi-Fi. So now I'm back on the waiting list for the iPhone, until someone makes a similar phone with better resolution :laugh2:
When did you get the iPhone and check out the resolution? didn't know it was out yet.:confused: How can you say thats a horrible resolution without even holding it?

I love people that hate on this thing when the only time they have seen it is online.

AK911dog

Mar 11, 2007
Wow, to be honest i agree. How do you know if its not in your hand. To be honest i don't intend to be watching many videos on my iPhone, i mean its great that it has the capability and a big screen, but ill stick to my iPod Video 80 for videos. I don't want to waste all 8GB on a few movies. And for resolution being a factor, we have to remember this is a PDA/Smartphone (revolutionized no doubt), not a Plasma TV or LCD computer screen. I think it has perfect resolution for what it is built for.

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
Wow, to be honest i agree. How do you know if its not in your hand. To be honest i don't intend to be watching many videos on my iPhone, i mean its great that it has the capability and a big screen, but ill stick to my iPod Video 80 for videos. I don't want to waste all 8GB on a few movies. And for resolution being a factor, we have to remember this is a PDA/Smartphone (revolutionized no doubt), not a Plasma TV or LCD computer screen. I think it has perfect resolution for what it is built for.
Dude, I had a Blackjack, with a lower resolution than the iPhone, and it was BEAUTIFUL.

The iPhone will have a larger screen, but the resolution is higher, so that'll make up for it. I think it'll look damn good. Hell, it looks damn good even on the videos from the keynote. ;)

Mar 10, 2007
Steve Jobs said that the resolution on the iPhone is the highest they've ever shipped - so it has higher resolution than my Powerbook G4, right?

I am not an expert on the subject, but I'd imagine after a certain number of pixels per inch you wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. I'm guessing over 160 ppi would be overkill.