Rest Finger to Open

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by Rafagon, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Is there some trick to get this option to actually work?

IMG_0021.JPG

No amount of resting my finger on the Home Button is waking my iPhone, let alone unlocking it.

I have to press the Home Button if I want to wake or unlock my iPhone.

Any suggestions?

2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Works fine for me. I basically press the home button once with a fingerprint-registered finger and the phone unlocks.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Peculiar. I'm doing exactly what you just described but no luck. Oh well. Not the end of the world I guess. One of these days I'll invest more time researching this. Thanks for your reply!

4. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@Rafagon Do you have your iPhone Unlock enabled under Touch ID & Passcode under Settings?

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Yup, sure do! I have Touch ID enabled for all three actions on that screen—iPhone Unlock, Apple Pay, and iTunes & App Store.

I’ve tried varying degrees of pressure and various finger orientations to no avail.

So far I’ve only tried programming one finger, but I did double-train that finger for better/quicker recognition (although that practice is probably no longer necessary).

I just noticed that—interestingly—at the bottom of the lock screen, it says “Press home to unlock” (press being the operative word). Do you guys (those of you successfully using Rest Finger to Open) see “Press home to unlock” as well? Or do you see different verbiage, perhaps something like “Rest finger on home to unlock”?

#5 Rafagon, Jan 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

@Rafagon Yes, mine says Press home to unlock! I think that's your issue. Pressing instead of Resting the finger on the home button. It'll work and it works well.

7. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

But I am resting the finger. No pressing whatsoever. Nothing happens; screen stays black.

If I raise the phone before resting the finger on the Home Button, then “Raise to Wake” kicks in and wakes up the phone, and then, and only then, resting my finger on the home button successfully unlocks the iPhone.

But if the phone is sitting there, locked, then simply resting my finger on the home button does nothing.

Is “Rest Finger to Open” only meant to work after the phone has been awoken, such as via “Raise to Wake”?

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I'm sorry :( miss typed.....Your issue is Resting instead of Pressing. :sick:

I also have a setting of need password immediately so I never have an option of resting finger on home button. I've never seen Rest Finger on Home button, but......after waking my iPhone up, when it goes off again, if i rest my finger lightly on the home button it wakes. It does prompt me to Press the home button though, but I do have it on a light setting.

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

It works for me. When it's asleep and I wake it by pressing the power button, then I rest my finger on the home button and it opens. This feature was intended for use with "Raise to wake" mostly. So when you raise to wake and read the notifications, you can just rest the finger to open.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Okay, so you’re saying two full actions are necessary: first, the awakening of the iPhone either via “Raise to Wake” or a press of the power or the home button, and second, the unlocking of the iPhone by resting an authorized finger on the home button. That wasn’t made crystal clear on the screen I posted in the original post. It says “Rest Finger to Open,” but it doesn’t explicitly say that the phone must be fully on (as in, not in standby mode) before resting the finger unlocks it.

If they made the entire body of the iPhone capable of scanning fingerprints, then both actions could be consolidated into one: Raising the iPhone would both wake it and authenticate you as an authorized user.

Sure, that would make the phone immensely expensive, but, nonetheless, food for thought, Apple, food for thought!

#10 Rafagon, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  11. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I don't see how this is difficult at all. Without using Raise to Wake, I can unlock and open the phone with one press of the home button. The Touch ID is that sensitive.

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

You’re right. It’s as easy and flawless as can be currently realistically expected.

The wording on that phrase, though: still not 100% specific, as it left some room for interpretation. “Rest Finger to Open.” I could see more than one person thinking that “open” also included “wake up the phone.” Hence the existence of this thread. :D

But now I understand Apple’s terminology: “Wake” means “take the phone off standby and turn on the screen” and “open” means “unlock.”

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I thought it was pretty clear.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I use it each morning when I wake. I like to read the weather and see notifications on my lock screen. So I raise it to wake it and view the lock screen. Then if I want to unlock to the home screen, I rest my finger on the home button. This came about because of complaints about how when you push the home button, it bypasses the lock screen. It worked too good. Folks wanted to see the lock screen. Raise to wake fixed that. Before that, I was pushing the power button to see the lock screen.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List