Restarting iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rootntootn, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Hi. I searched and didn't find an answer, so I will ask you guys. In another thread, a user said that he likes to restart his iPhone every day. Helps with battery life he said.

do you find a problem with the forced reboot? I mean the one where you keep pressing down both buttons until the iPhone just stops. Ever had a problem with crashes or data loss after that? Thanks for your experience!

2. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

A hard reset (holding both buttons until the Apple logo appears) can be beneficial. Not sure if it helps with battery life but it's not going to hurt anything :)

3. Rootntootn

Rootntootn Member
    Bronze

Thanks, Kadelic!

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

You're welcome. A hard reset is usually the first thing I try when experience any sort of problem or strange behavior on my iDevice.

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

It's a little sudden and doesn't give the phone a chance to gracefully shut down, which can leave some files in an ambiguous state that it needs to repair when it boots back up. It is a journaled file system, though, so you won't particularly lose data, it just may start up a little stuttery while it works to correct whatever may have happened while it was in limbo.

I feel more comfortable doing the slide to power off and then starting from there, and only moving to the hard way if it is not responding to the slider.

6. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

Good point fury, I've never personally experienced any issues after a hard reboot. Even though my phone is not jailbroken, there are times that some apps would hang and even power/home buttons don't respond quickly, I would use it.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I reboot daily and do hard resets about once a week. It's never caused a problem.

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I do a hard reset every day prior to putting my baby on the charger every night. I think it helps with the "snappiness" of the phone. I close all apps in the task manager prior to doing the reset.