Restore after using Jailbreak

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Corduroy

Jul 19, 2007
San Diego, CA
Who has done it?

Man did I just have a scary moment. I had successfuly used jailbreak and copied over the large and small battery png files. Everything worked perfectly.

Well then I started reading the thread about a problem with magnetic cases and bricked phones. I just got my iQase side today and decided I better Restore the phone back to the mfg settings and try the phone in the case for a week. If the phone bricks either Apple will exchange it or iQase has a BIG problem and will be getting sued. But I wanted the phone back at default just in case...

So I went into iTunes and hit restore. It downloaded the firmware and began installing. Then it popped up an error ..cannot restore iPhone or something. The iPhone had the yellow triangle "connect to iTunes" text. I Un dock phone, power down, power up. The iPhone had the yellow triangle "connect to iTunes" text.! :(

So I closed iTunes, fired iTunes back up and tried restore again, same error. Then I close iTunes, rebooted the phone (power button 5 sec) and turned the phone on...The iPhone has the yellow triangle "connect to iTunes" text.! Connect to iTunes, same error :( At this point I begin to sweat!

Next I did the power button + home procedure for 25 sec. Fired up iTunes and FINALLY THANK GOD the firmware started loading. Now I am waiting for everything to sync and drinking a couple beers!

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
that was a close one lol glad to hear everything pulled through for ya. post link for that case, how do you like it so far?

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I would have literally gone crazy If i was in your situation lol i lose my cool pretty quick.. glad you got everything working though .. good luck.. good thing u did that restore because the case .. they will cover you if anything... if they saw all the mods they would have told you get lost...

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Yeah, iQase. I got the swift case. The belt clip is fixed, the case no longer will hold the iPhone within when the case is flipped upside down. Rather poor design for $35. Which iQase did you get?

Corduroy

Jul 19, 2007
San Diego, CA
Yeah, iQase. I got the swift case. The belt clip is fixed, the case no longer will hold the iPhone within when the case is flipped upside down. Rather poor design for $35. Which iQase did you get?
I got the iQase Side

The Swift has a completely open top, why would you want the case to flip up side down? That case is designed to hold the phone in only one orientation and to easily remove the phone from the case.

vansouza

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Las Vegas, NV USA
www.usheroes.us
your restore

Wow the Sync is pretty amazing everything is back just as it was! The only thing I had to re-enter was my WEP password for my wireless router!

Here is the iQase I got:

http://www.iqase.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1

I also got the film to go with it.

I seriously doubt a magnetic closure case would brick a phone but I will test it out and let you know.
Sounds like your restore was from brain dead status to everything is back to normal. Your contacts were all there and all? On another forum a poster said that after a restore everything was gone; so I was wondering about backup possibilities... thanks..

scrowner

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I got the iQase Side

The Swift has a completely open top, why would you want the case to flip up side down? That case is designed to hold the phone in only one orientation and to easily remove the phone from the case.
Yep, but their video showed it would be held. I am more worried about accidental escape from the case rather than normal use. I am using the swift but I will be changing it to maybe Sena. I talked to the iQase guys and they are planning to change the belt clips to a rotator type - so then keeping the phone in the holster will be more important.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
can someone help me out please? I wanna know the steps to restore after a jailbreak. Do I restore to the custom ipsw that I used the first time? Do I use Winpwn again?

DJ TATZ

Feb 4, 2010
Reversing your Jailbroken iPhone 3GS

I have seen a lot of methods to this and some may work but in my case they didn’t. So after 12 hours and a lot of head ache I discovered how. If your case is like mine and you tried to do what a lot say is simple and just update in iTunes that’s bull**** because a lot of people haven’t been able to. Here are the steps you need to take:

So your looking at your beautiful iPhone right now furiously staring at the stupid recovery screen of death if it is plugged into your pc I want you to remove it first before you proceed.

1. Go to control panel, then add and remove programs and get rid of everything that says Apple, iTunes, bonjour, quicktime.

2. Go to my computer, double click the c:\ drive and then go to documents and settings\ and you will see all the user folders for your user names on your computer computer go into every folder in documents and settings and check if there is a folder named application data, for every single user folder that has an application data folder you need to go in it and delete any folders that say Apple computer or Apple.

3.Now this is probably sounding similar to what you have tried but im not done yet,

4.Reboot your computer

5.Next Download the newest version of iTunes off the Apple website

6.Install the newest version

7.Next we are going to to navigate through the big scary windows folder. So go to my computer , double click the c:\ drive, double click Windows folder if it says show contents of this folder go a head and click that,

now in some cases the system 32 folder maybe hidden,
so lets go up to the task bar and click tools, then folder options, click the view tab, then look through the list and you will see hidden files and folders and you want to click show hidden files and folders and then click ok,

next we want to find the system32 folder once you do double click it and look for a folder named “drivers” double click that and you’ll see a folder that says “ETC” double click that

Now inside this folder there is a file named “Hosts”

I want you to first right click the hosts file and and click properties then I want you to uncheck the read only and then click ok.

Now right click the “hosts” file again and click open, it will say choose a program to open it with we are going to choose note pad and click ok.

So we get a bunch of typing and numbers doesn’t matter because what your going to do is scroll all the way down and go to the end of the very last word and click just after it so your cursor is blinking after the last word and hit enter so you are on a new blank line just underneath everything,
now you are going to copy and paste the following into the new blank line:
74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

now that you have done that click the X in the corner to close it and it will say save changes and click yes. What i assume this is going to do is a temporary by pass for Apple that keeps rejecting your updates.

8.Now its ok for you to plug your phone into your computer and it will say found new hardware just give it a sec to install all that.

9.Now open iTunes if it says register and all that just say register later because you will after drum roll please the update works,

10.So it will say iTunes detected a phone in recovery mode blah blah click ok

11.Now you want to just click restore and click ok if there is any prompts during the install

12.Let it all complete there is loading screens on the computer and there is a part where it is loading on
the iPhone with a little Apple and progress bar just let it do its thing don’t touch it until its all completed you may get a pop up in iTunes saying your provider has an update click ok to update,

13.Then right behind that popup there will be a screen to register as a new phone or existing something along those lines you can CLICK NEW PHONE IF YOU WANT TOO :) and click next to go through the steps and voila your phones fresh and new again back to normal 

14.Once all is said and done go back into the hosts file like we mentioned earlier and delete that line we pasted and save it and your done son!
:pie:

simba33

Silver
Oct 21, 2009
Kingsburg CA
www.ebwebcreations.com
I have seen a lot of methods to this and some may work but in my case they didn’t. So after 12 hours and a lot of head ache I discovered how. If your case is like mine and you tried to do what a lot say is simple and just update in iTunes that’s bull**** because a lot of people haven’t been able to. Here are the steps you need to take:

So your looking at your beautiful iPhone right now furiously staring at the stupid recovery screen of death if it is plugged into your pc I want you to remove it first before you proceed.

1. Go to control panel, then add and remove programs and get rid of everything that says Apple, iTunes, bonjour, quicktime.

2. Go to my computer, double click the c:\ drive and then go to documents and settings\ and you will see all the user folders for your user names on your computer computer go into every folder in documents and settings and check if there is a folder named application data, for every single user folder that has an application data folder you need to go in it and delete any folders that say Apple computer or Apple.

3.Now this is probably sounding similar to what you have tried but im not done yet,

4.Reboot your computer

5.Next Download the newest version of iTunes off the Apple website

6.Install the newest version

7.Next we are going to to navigate through the big scary windows folder. So go to my computer , double click the c:\ drive, double click Windows folder if it says show contents of this folder go a head and click that,

now in some cases the system 32 folder maybe hidden,
so lets go up to the task bar and click tools, then folder options, click the view tab, then look through the list and you will see hidden files and folders and you want to click show hidden files and folders and then click ok,

next we want to find the system32 folder once you do double click it and look for a folder named “drivers” double click that and you’ll see a folder that says “ETC” double click that

Now inside this folder there is a file named “Hosts”

I want you to first right click the hosts file and and click properties then I want you to uncheck the read only and then click ok.

Now right click the “hosts” file again and click open, it will say choose a program to open it with we are going to choose note pad and click ok.

So we get a bunch of typing and numbers doesn’t matter because what your going to do is scroll all the way down and go to the end of the very last word and click just after it so your cursor is blinking after the last word and hit enter so you are on a new blank line just underneath everything,
now you are going to copy and paste the following into the new blank line:
74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

now that you have done that click the X in the corner to close it and it will say save changes and click yes. What i assume this is going to do is a temporary by pass for Apple that keeps rejecting your updates.

8.Now its ok for you to plug your phone into your computer and it will say found new hardware just give it a sec to install all that.

9.Now open iTunes if it says register and all that just say register later because you will after drum roll please the update works,

10.So it will say iTunes detected a phone in recovery mode blah blah click ok

11.Now you want to just click restore and click ok if there is any prompts during the install

12.Let it all complete there is loading screens on the computer and there is a part where it is loading on
the iPhone with a little Apple and progress bar just let it do its thing don’t touch it until its all completed you may get a pop up in iTunes saying your provider has an update click ok to update,

13.Then right behind that popup there will be a screen to register as a new phone or existing something along those lines you can CLICK NEW PHONE IF YOU WANT TOO :) and click next to go through the steps and voila your phones fresh and new again back to normal 

14.Once all is said and done go back into the hosts file like we mentioned earlier and delete that line we pasted and save it and your done son!
:pie:
all good and great but you don't have to remove/uninstall anything in the beginning, nor do you have restart your computer, i simply went into the folder copied the hosts file to another location (as a backup) then added the line in the original in notepad and clicked save and i was done. just so people don't go erasing different files and delete something that cannot be replaced. and you already have this in a thread please stop spamming