Restore and SMS texts and Notes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RyanP, Apr 29, 2008.

1. RyanP

RyanP Member
    Bronze

I did attempt to search for this answer but couldn't find it. I'm about to do my first Restore through iTunes. Will I lose all my SMS text chats? What about Notes? I assume that I will lose both...if so, any way to get those off the phone before the Restore? Thanks!
    Ryan

2. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Are you jailbroken? If so, there's a very cool app called TimeCapsule that will backup both of those (and tons of other good stuff) and you can email yourself the files and restore them easily after you do your iTunes restore (as long as you jailbreak again and install TimeCapsule) ...

3. RyanP

RyanP Member
    Bronze

I'm not jail broken--was always too scared to try it. I think it might be time though. Thanks for the tip! I'll go search the forum, as I'm sure there are some good jail breaking strings here, but if you know of another resource with instructions on it, let me know. Thanks again!
    Ryan

4. 767200

767200 New Member

You will not loose any info on notes or sms as long as you restore it from a previous back up.

5. RyanP

RyanP Member
    Bronze

I'm having a problem with my button (it takes like 7 or 8 pushes sometimes to register). The Apple support guy told me to restore, and I think he said to then set up as a new phone to see if I still have the problem. If I do that to test it, can I later go back and restore from a backup (to get my notes and texts back)?

6. 767200

767200 New Member

I believe you can't as your computer will "register" the device as a "different" one after restoring it as a new one. Does it make sense? :confused:

7. RyanP

RyanP Member
    Bronze

Thanks, 767200--so are you saying this might not work: I was thinking of using a different computer to do a "restore as new," and then if that doesn't solve my issue, I would go back to my computer and restore from backup to get all my SMS and Notes back. Does anybody know if that will work?

What if I have to get a new phone to solve my problem--are they able to transfer SMS and Notes from one phone to another at the Apple store (as part of the warranty)?

8. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

I haven't heard about an Apple tech transferring SMS or Notes from one phone to another. I don't even know if there's a way of doing that. I could be mistaken.

9. RyanP

RyanP Member
    Bronze

So they basically give you a new phone, and whatever syncs from your iTunes (mail settings, contacts, music, etc.) will be okay, but everything else is lost?

10. Youngbinks

Youngbinks Zealot
    Gold

Yup. As long as your contacts and other important info and songs are still on the computer you can sync them right back up.

11. kyussmondo

kyussmondo New Member

All you need to do is plug in the iPhone to your computer and let it sync. The sync will update all the back-up to the most recent information.

When you then plug a freshly restored iPhone back in iTunes will prompt you that there is a previously backed up iPhone and would you like to restore it. Doing so will bring back all of your SMS, customised homescreen, YouTube bookmarks, favourite contacts etc.

Make sure you sync the iPhone before you restore though to make sure it is the most up-to-date! This does NOT require a jailbreak and is a feature built in by Apple, so it is safe :D

12. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, you'll get SMS and all that back. The only thing that will be cleared out is possibly downloaded emails, maybe voicemail password (if you didn't set one up, you have to dial it by holding 1 on the keypad and set it up)

Just make sure iTunes is up to date. Some old versions did not restore SMS and recent call logs, in my experience.

13. Maddento

Maddento New Member

It is not that difficult for you to restore SMS texts and Notes now. And I know there are two methods for you: directly recover them from iPhone with some 3rd tool or retrieve them from iTunes.

14. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

This thread is almost 6 years old.

15. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Someone trying to get post count up to spam.

Sent from my iPhone using My fingers.

16. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Please just report spammers. Don't comment on them or to them. Thanks.