restore from backup after jailbreak

wbrod

Oct 25, 2007
Hello! right now i am on firmware 2.2 jailbroken, and i want to upgrade to 2.2.1 and then jailbreak it, my question is after i update to 2.2.1 and then jailbreak, can i restore my iPhone from backup because i have a lot of applications from the app store that i don't want to lose my setting on them, like password applications and stuff like that. i don't care about music and contacts because i know i can put those back. I heard they are people having problems after restoring from backup. Any comments? thanks in advance...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's recommended to start clean each time you jailbreak. This means restoring as a new device, doing the update, and then rejailbreaking and syncing your media and apps back on. If you do the update without restoring to factory settings, you leave traces of the jailbreak behind that could cause potential problems. You can sync your contacts with Google/Gmail or Outlook in iTunes before doing this.

I'm running 2.2 JB and I'm just going to wait for a bigger update before bothering.