Restore help... Phone in limbo...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zeeex, Oct 21, 2011.

1. zeeex

zeeex New Member

I had a jailbroken iPhone 4 that was running 4.?.?. I wanted to update to ios 5 so I tried a restore which froze up. Now my phone is in limbo. I have tried all the tricks suggested in forums (it will not enter DFU mode, I commented out the 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com line in my host file which elimintated my iTunes errors but still no restore, I tried tinyumbrella a little bit, etc.) I'm not looking forward to buying a new phone. Can anyone help me?

2. fijiman

fijiman Contributor
    Silver

Are you running the latest iTunes....? Try using the latest redsn0w or iReb to assist you getting into DFU mode

3. zeeex

zeeex New Member

iTunes is 10.5... I'm not sure how to use redsnow to get into DFU mode. thanks for the reply.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I realize you said it will not enter DFU mode, but maybe you didn't do it right? Try holding down the power button and then the home button, until your phone turns off all the way, then let go only of the power button, continue holding the home button.

Make sure you have iTunes open while doing this. Your iTunes should then recognize it in "Restore Mode" where you can then fully restore successfuly. Make sure your iPhone is also plugged into your computer.

5. zeeex

zeeex New Member

Thank you for the reply... It really would not enter DFU mode, it was stuck in recovery mode. I used another computer and it worked. I ran across an interesting thread while researching this. One lady had installed wifi sync via cydia which requires an install on your desktop. That program had to be removed from her desktop for her to successfuly restore and upgrade. I had this program installed too, but I could not locate the application to remove it. That may have been what was causing my issue too. Maybe this will help somebody else... If your phone will not restore or you can not successfuly upgrade your firmware, try another computer before spending hours troubleshooting.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That's insane. I never have used that application before. Usually when it shows you're in Recovery Mode, it will force you to restore your phone. Did it not let you do that? The iPhone 4 iOS 5 now has a wifi sync where you don't have to plug your phone in, but you have to have iTunes open to wirelessly sync.

Hope all worked well for you and you can now successfuly restore.

7. zeeex

zeeex New Member

By the way I love ios 5... Definitely worth losing the jailbreak. I had fun with my tweaks and hacks but this is so much more stable and fast... Plus Apple has stolen most of the really good ideas that cydia developers have engineered anyway. lol. Honestly, the volume button for the camera -- cydia tweak; the enhanced lockscreen utility -- cydia tweak; the notification center kinda functions like SBsettings.

8. offroadhunter

offroadhunter Member
    Silver

If you're on the iPhone 4 you can j/b but it's tethered on ios 5.0 .. Mine iPhone 4 is JB and running fine.

9. zeeex

zeeex New Member

Yeah, it was forcing me to restore, but the restore would not execute. So I thought I was bricked or at best going to be making a trip to the Apple store which is like 200 miles from me unless I want to cross into Canada... But yeah, it all worked out. Thanks... Nice dog :).

10. zeeex

zeeex New Member

I'm just a little hesitant after my restore issues. I'm not really good at all of this jailbreaking stuff. I just used jailbreakme.com. Does that still work for ios 5?

11. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

As of right now, jailbreakme.com does not work for iOS 5. Not sure about any other iOS. I haven't seen it used in a very long time. If you need help doing the tethered JB, let us know here.