Restore iPhone 6 - New Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by iprncess, Oct 19, 2014.

1. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

So, I visited the Genius Bar today because my iPhone 6 randomly gets really hot and it's not when it's plugged in. In addition to that, there have been several occasions when my phone rings but I can't swipe it to answer. The screen just will not react to my touch.

They did a diagnosis and said I have lots of memory issues (backboard and springboard I think) from never restoring my phone as new. That basically I have a lot of junk that has piled on over the years and my phone is slowly buckling under the weight. He also said that at any moment it could just go black and never come back on.

The one thing I love about the iPhone is that I've never lost any information when getting a new phone. The idea of restoring as new kinda terrifies me. LOL My main question is what will I have to redo? Will I keep anything? How should I prepare to do this?

I'm also wondering if anyone has heard of this? I've never heard such doom and gloom from the Genius bar BUT I have read a lot of people say they were told the solution to a problem they had was to restore as new. Is that just the default answer when you don't know what to do or does never restoring as new really cause that many issues?

2. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Yes this is a common problem with a simple resolution. Every year I always always setup as new you don't want to bog down a new device with last years garbage you know what I mean? In your case it's several years of garbage. Just transfer all your pictures to your computer, your apps you can simply re download, etc your contacts should all be stored in your iCloud account.

3. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

But I will lose my iMessage and text message history right?

4. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

Yes

5. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

That's what I was afraid of.

6. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I do the very same thing... I know others who don't. But I think it really helps to keep the OS as pristine as possible. Also years of iMessages and other stuff can't be good for your new Hardware. I think there are a lot of us who start over every year. Plus it doesn't take that long to set things back up and I kind of like the process.

7. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

Unfortunately saving ANYTHING that may be important later is my personality. I have every Franklin Covey planner I've used for the past several years in binders neatly shelved in my study. Believe it or not, I actually go back and reference things often. LOL

I guess I just assumed that Apple "cleaned" the device to some degree even if you restore from a backup. Since they are basically one of the only companies that allow you to set up your new phone EXACTLY like your old phone. I don't think they expect people to wipe it totally clean with each new device or the ability to restore wouldn't be an option.

On the other hand, I see how to many years of "old data" is probably not a great thing. I deleted lots of old imessages a few months ago but I still have several important conversations dating back to 2011. I guess I can screen shot the important stuff and try a fresh restore when 8.1 comes out today.

8. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

See, I was afraid of this!! I always knew this was the solution to many of my past iPhone issues! I don't want to loose any of my old iMessage text messages so I never start my iPhone as new. I always restore from backup. When my iPhone lags or acts up I do a hard reset and it appears to help the issue. However, in the back of my mind I know that old data from 2008 is killing my iPhone and I know I should start FRESH! I think it's time I put my big girl pants on and just give my glorious 6 Plus the royal treatment and start a fresh so these same little issues that I've been having can go away for good.

All my photos are on my computer anyway. I'll just have to figure out what to do about the text messages. I think I'll take photos of all of them and store them away in a folder in iPhoto.

This seems to be the best thing to do for your iPhone. The 6 Plus deserves a fresh start. I do to.

Yup, I'm actually going to do it!

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Do you have a Macbook Pro? Losing text messages on the iPhone will be alright as they will still be on the messages app if you have a Mac.

10. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I have an iMac, but all my messages are not on the iMac. I checked that out already. It's not even accurate in storing the current ones. If there is a way to get them all on to the iMac's iMessage then I need to learn what that is. Currently my iMessage on my iMac is in shambles. I barely use it on the iMac. It creates a different category that is not translated to my iPhone. Like I said it's in shambles. Apple should work on integrating it better than it is. I wish it were seamless then we could save these messages with no issues.

#10 Sharunda, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  11. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

I think I may also and I am freaking out just a little. LOL

12. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

Didn't think about my iMac/Macbook. I wonder if after the 8.1 update today will my old SMS also appear in the messaging app. Or is that only new SMS?

13. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Don't take my word on it but I would assume only new SMS. Once you get or receive them, it gets relaid from iPhone to Mac, in a sense.

14. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

Well I did it. Pretty painless so far and no symptoms of withdrawal LOL

15. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I never restore new iPhones from a backup that was made on an older iPhone. There is a potential for problems and I like to start fresh once a year, so I set up all of my new devices from scratch. It's not that bad since it's just once a year. It takes a couple hours, but most of that time is putting in my settings for each individual app. My apps, music and videos all sync through iTunes. My contacts, notes, bookmarks and data from certain apps all syncs through iCloud (I DO NOT apply an iCloud backup - I just sync that stuff over the air). The only thing I really lose is my text messages, but I don't want or need messages that are several years old on my new phone anyway. I restore from backup throughout the year if needed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  16. chazm

chazm Contributor
    Silver

I've always restored from backup since 2007 soooooo I'm guessing when my 6+ comes in I'll finally start as new.

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Agreed. Your old backup won't fit the new screens.

18. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

I had text messages from 2009. Crazy...

I'd really like to go back to the Apple Store and let them run another diagnostic without telling them I restored as new and see if they give me the same advice. :cautious:

19. Cjvdh

Cjvdh Zealot
    Gold

I mean you could but I bet this will solve 99% of your problems. Trust me I was the same way up until about the iPhone 4 from the original iPhone that I had back in 2007 until the iPhone 4 I always restored from a backup and the problems just kept getting worse until I finally just started fresh and kept things that way ever since and it's been easy and painless. Goodluck

20. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Whenever I get a new model iPhone I set up as new. Sure, it takes longer, but I avoid a host of inherited bugs and problems from the old backup.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List