Restore Questions

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Hi Guys,

Only jail-broke using Winpwn yesterday and need some advise, bear with me i have a few questions : ):

In iTunes if i click on Restore, it factory resets my iPhone, so it deletes everything from the phone, all contacts, apps etc, and removes the jailbroken firmware and sets me back to 2.0?

Also, if i do that, does this mean Apple could tell that i was running a jailbroken iPhone?

If i shift and click, it asks which firmware i want to restore to, so how do i make a back up?

When i sync my iPhone, it says backing up iPhone, but im guessing thats just contacts etc? If i restore to 2.0, which would unjailbreak me, can i then restore all contacts etc and apps?

I have some apps i installed through SSH, will these apps still work?

Finally, if i do a factory restore, does it delete all my iTunes content like apps etc? because the apps i installed through SSH wont work until i jailbreak will they? Or do i have to go through and delete all the hacked stuff from iTunes?

Thanks for sticking with me, hope you can help..

Croucher

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If you restore, it should automatically back-up which backs up EVERYTHING on the phone, and yes, everything you installed on your phone from being jailbroken or from SSH will be gone, and no it won't delete your apps. Also, Apple won't be able to tell you've jailbroken it before, and it should automatically start backing up when you click restore.

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
Old thread, new question, will a restore from a backup remove my jailbreak?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Yes, anytime you do a restore, you have to re-jailbreak again. One of the cons of jailbreaking.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
yes, even if you restore from a back up. Install Aptbackup from Cydia, create a backup and sync your phone. (it will create a list of all your apps installed from Cydia) So the next time you jailbreak, reinstall Aptbackup and restore. It will put all the apps back on your phone. That's probably the closest to a backup you can get for Cydia apps.

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
oh sorry sic I was wrong. Thanks to somebody with some sense for correcting me.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Keep in mind that any settings you have in the apps will not be saved. That's the downside. But it's better than nothing.

imme

Bronze
Aug 10, 2008
if you restore from a jailbroken back-up you don't have to re-jailbreak....

SikShift

Zealot
Gold
Jul 22, 2008
Bradenton, FL
if you restore from a jailbroken back-up you don't have to re-jailbreak....
Are you sure about that? After I had finished restoring from a backup I had made, the Installer and Cydia icons were both gone. I had to run QuickPwn to JB again.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
so how do u use aptbackup?
It's simple. Open up the app and hit backup. It crates a list of your apps. The next time you sync your phone, the list gets saved. After you restore and j/b, reinstall Aptbackup. Hit restore and it tells you it's downloading the apps. (it takes a few mins).

Sep 19, 2008
please answer me

I have jailbroken to 2.1 with quickpwng.I can now restore to my Apple firmware2.1 anytime now.But what will happen if my pc crashes.Is there a way to back up the firmware restore on a cd or something.Where is the firmware downloaded to the pc when we do an update.Give me an answer please