Restored iPhone 4S and forgot network password?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by dobymax, Sep 19, 2012.

1. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

I just restored my iPhone 4s and have forgotten my network password. Is there any way to find out what it is or get around this step? I can't complete the restore without it. TIA.

2. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

oooooh.. I imagine you're referring to your WIFI password? (for future reference, write it on a piece of tape on the bottom of the router in case you forget). You have a couple options though. If you can access the router, you can reset the password. In a worst case scenario, you can always do a hard reset of the router as well. You MIGHT be able to see the password IN the router though most times they're obscured by *****

3. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Thanks Kriss. How would I go about accessing the router or doing a hard reset on the router?

4. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

It's usually not too hard. Depending on the brand of router. Access if from a computer. It's usually like enter a IP address of 192.168.1.1 then enter the default user name, usually "admin" without the quotes. The default password is usually "admin" or "password" or even blank. If you know what your computers IP is on your home network, you will know what the IP of the router is. Example: if your computer IP is 192.168.2.100. then 192.168.2.1 would most likely be the routers IP address.

5. BCCSuperSizeIt

Bronze

My Airport Extreme has a reset button as well as my cable modem.

I reset everything last week as my wifi slowed to an unbearable crawl. Doing a hard reset using the reset button on the back, allowed my speeds back. With that I also had to reset all passwords and names.

6. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Some have a pin size hole that you can use a tack or paper clip to reset. I use a Netgear router & never used the discs just set up everything with the default web address.

7. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Where do I enter the above address? I'm on a laptop. Sorry for the dumb questions.

8. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

I found out that it has to be 8 digit character on the iPhone to give me the option to join. I tried password and it didn't work. I turned off and reset the router and that didn't work either. Still lost.

9. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

Password is the default password & admin is the default login for the router itself for Netgear. You will probably have to re-set it up or if you can get into your wifi settings it will show the password.

10. BCCSuperSizeIt

Bronze

No such thing as a dumb question, we were all there.

Open your web browser on your laptop, like Safari, Firefox, Chrome, IE or other web browsers and enter the address. Just like you enter everythingicafe.com

11. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

How do I get into it on my laptop? Is there somewhere I need to go to?

12. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Resetting the router is the last step. I wouldn't do that until I've exhausted the options of getting inside and looking around for the password for the Wifi. Mainly, because resetting the router will wipe out ALL your settings and sometimes you don't want to do that unless you know what you need to re-enter once you're in. Does your laptop connect to it? It may also be saved in the Laptop under wireless network settings. But to answer your question about where to enter that IP address. Open up Safari, Chrome, or Internet Explorer. Instead of entering www.something... just enter the 192.168.2.1 A box should pop up asking your user name and password if you're using the right address.

13. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Ok. I did that and it won't take. Says its looking for a password and the site is NETGEAR WNR2000.

14. BCCSuperSizeIt

Bronze

Why do you need to change the network password to complete an iOS restore ?

Perhaps we are talking about the phone password?

15. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

I've tried using the phone password and it doesn't work. Thats where I am on the iPhone. It asks me to choose a network, I do. Then asks me for the password.

16. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Ok. We need to backup a little.. So you have a Netgear router. Are you using Windows or a Mac?

17. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Windows and using Firefox.

18. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Ok. Well, have you actually gotten into the Netgear setup page yet? Or can't access it?

19. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

Not yet. Not sure where and how to get into it. I type in the IP address and it ask for User Name and Password.

20. dobymax

dobymax Member
    Bronze

I type in 182.168.1.1 and it asks for the User Name and Password.