Restored iPhone 4S and forgot network password?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dobymax

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
I just restored my iPhone 4s and have forgotten my network password. Is there any way to find out what it is or get around this step? I can't complete the restore without it. TIA.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
oooooh.. I imagine you're referring to your WIFI password? (for future reference, write it on a piece of tape on the bottom of the router in case you forget). You have a couple options though. If you can access the router, you can reset the password. In a worst case scenario, you can always do a hard reset of the router as well. You MIGHT be able to see the password IN the router though most times they're obscured by *****

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
It's usually not too hard. Depending on the brand of router. Access if from a computer. It's usually like enter a IP address of 192.168.1.1 then enter the default user name, usually "admin" without the quotes. The default password is usually "admin" or "password" or even blank. If you know what your computers IP is on your home network, you will know what the IP of the router is. Example: if your computer IP is 192.168.2.100. then 192.168.2.1 would most likely be the routers IP address.

Sep 20, 2008
Vestal NY
My Airport Extreme has a reset button as well as my cable modem.

I reset everything last week as my wifi slowed to an unbearable crawl. Doing a hard reset using the reset button on the back, allowed my speeds back. With that I also had to reset all passwords and names.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Some have a pin size hole that you can use a tack or paper clip to reset. I use a Netgear router & never used the discs just set up everything with the default web address.

dobymax

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
I found out that it has to be 8 digit character on the iPhone to give me the option to join. I tried password and it didn't work. I turned off and reset the router and that didn't work either. Still lost.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
Password is the default password & admin is the default login for the router itself for Netgear. You will probably have to re-set it up or if you can get into your wifi settings it will show the password.

Kriss

Zealot
Silver
Jun 8, 2008
Cape Cod
voyager01.deviantart.com
Resetting the router is the last step. I wouldn't do that until I've exhausted the options of getting inside and looking around for the password for the Wifi. Mainly, because resetting the router will wipe out ALL your settings and sometimes you don't want to do that unless you know what you need to re-enter once you're in. Does your laptop connect to it? It may also be saved in the Laptop under wireless network settings. But to answer your question about where to enter that IP address. Open up Safari, Chrome, or Internet Explorer. Instead of entering www.something... just enter the 192.168.2.1 A box should pop up asking your user name and password if you're using the right address.

Sep 20, 2008
Vestal NY
I just restored my iPhone 4s and have forgotten my network password. Is there any way to find out what it is or get around this step? I can't complete the restore without it. TIA.

Why do you need to change the network password to complete an iOS restore ?

Perhaps we are talking about the phone password?

dobymax

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
I've tried using the phone password and it doesn't work. Thats where I am on the iPhone. It asks me to choose a network, I do. Then asks me for the password.

dobymax

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
Not yet. Not sure where and how to get into it. I type in the IP address and it ask for User Name and Password.