restoring....AGAIN.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well, I thought the third time would be the charm, but still have problems with 3 programs running after I exit them. Mobile Mail (the worse one), iPod, and Safari. Safari can be closed with the Free Memory app, but Mobile Mail and iPod remain running in the background and suck up my ram till there is 2-3 MB left. After that, performance is less than Sh!tty.
So, I am trying again to restore. I cannot understand that there is only a handful of users out there that are having this problem. And those that are on 3Gs phones aren't as affected by those on 3G like me.
When the 3.1 software comes out, I will wait a couple weeks before installing it to see if there are any complaints about the update. If it looks like the same problems persist, then I am going all the way back to 2.2.1- The best all around firmware so far.

I really don't get why suddenly there is a problem with the 3 "big" apps running in the background. It was never a problem - as far as I know- before, but I didn't always have free memory either, but I've had it since it came out and was free.
Right now, the 3.0.1 download from Apple (yes, starting with a fresh version) is taking it's very sweet @ss time downloading.
I'll update once everything has completed.
And this time around I am restoring my profile. next time I won't. i just hate losing everything because of crappy performance.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hawk - You're are not alone out there in the "iPhone jungle"! I have exactly the same problem on my 3G. I guess Apple forgot about the need of RAM when designing the 3G iPhone with 128MB!? The new 3GS with 256MB seems to working fine, and you don't need these "memory-releaser" like Free Memory etc...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
well, Apple seems to have gotten a little retarded then, since they are now making Free Memory and programs like it that free up memory to stop freeing memory at all.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, restore is done. Reset all settings on the phone as well. Problem still persists. After 4 restores, I'm convinced that this is an os problem.

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
The small amount of memory on the 1G/3G is a problem - I have to give my iPhone a "memory-shot" 2-3 times every day, and I restart the iPhone a couple of times every week.

I can't understand why the iPhone OS isn't releasing some RAM when leaving the application(s)? Sometimes when I have used a app, the RAM/Memory is showing 3MB left!....:)

SirDVV

Bronze
Jul 20, 2009
Using sbsettings I can close everything but not phone nor mail.
The max free memory I can have is about 46mg, and the least about 4, but I can tap "free memory" and I have about 20 which is enough to do anything,
If y close safari I'll have 40 again.
I don't know if it helps..

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
Using sbsettings I can close everything but not phone nor mail.
The max free memory I can have is about 46mg, and the least about 4, but I can tap "free memory" and I have about 20 which is enough to do anything,
If y close safari I'll have 40 again.
I don't know if it helps..
That's the work around, but the iPhone OS itself should do that job! ;)

SirDVV

Bronze
Jul 20, 2009
That's the work around, but the iPhone OS itself should do that job! ;)
other versions of firmware did it? I don't know cos I installed sbsettings using 3.0...

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
The problem is that if you open and use the mail app, finish and close it, and even lock your phone, then (we will assume that it's set to manual- no push) then when you open up your phone and look at system processes an HOUR later, mobile mail should not be running. it shouldn't be running 5 seconds after you exit the app. The same for Safari and iPod. Unfortunately, the OS is not releasing the memory from these apps, so they are running in the background. With all three running in the background, it will
A) drain my battery, and B) bring my phone to a crawl if I try to do anything with any other app, Apple app or not.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Any plans to upgrade to the 3GS Hawk?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Nope. sticking with my 3G till the next phone comes out. The phone has not had any problems except with OS 3.0+, so there is no need to upgrade for me.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Nope. sticking with my 3G till the next phone comes out. The phone has not had any problems except with OS 3.0+, so there is no need to upgrade for me.
Yikes. I cannot imagine going back to the 3G. Just using my brother's for a second makes me shudder. I'm soo spoiled with 256mb of ram.

You've used a 3GS, right hawk?

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
yes I have. for how I use it, there isn't much difference. And if the OS was performing like it did with 2.2.1, it would be even better.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
yes I have. for how I use it, there isn't much difference. And if the OS was performing like it did with 2.2.1, it would be even better.
Really? Even with mine being jailbroken, it's mind blowingly fast in comparison.

I do agree about the 2.2.1 point though. Heck, 1.1.4, that would be nice.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yikes. I cannot imagine going back to the 3G. Just using my brother's for a second makes me shudder. I'm soo spoiled with 256mb of ram.

You've used a 3GS, right hawk?
I know...it's a world of difference.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sorry, I just can't believe that. I have both and the difference is amazing.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
4x faster !
Here's another,