Restoring apps on iPad 2 after iOS 5 upgrade

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tom Bebee, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Tom Bebee

Tom Bebee New Member

I heard the news that IOS 5 was available, so wanted to keep my iPad2 up-to-date. Hindsight being 20/20, should probably have waited, not only to prevent being on the bleeding edge of a new release, but also since this is my first Apple product, I am not steeped in the nuances of backing up/ restoring this device.

But I went ahead using the following steps:
    1) did a SYNC of my iPad before starting which was successful
    2) tried to upgrade the OS, but found that iTunes version needed to be upgraded
    3) upgraded iTunes successfuly
    4) upgraded iPad to IOS 5 successfuly

Then when restarting, found out that the applications were not left intact. So using the prompts, I attempted to restore the Apps via iTunes. Does not work. The only thing I can think of is that Apple does not maintain backward compatibility and my iTunes App backup is not recognized by the new version of iTunes which was needed for the IOS upgrade. If this is the case, this is extremely disappointing and I am really happy that I have not used this device to date for nothing more than casual use. However, I have purchased a few apps that I was using (Browser, iTap RDP client, etc.) and would like to get back if possible. If there are any suggestions for a Apple newbie, I would appreciate it. All I can think of is to try and install the previous version of iTunes. I don't think that the Apple store will let me download the apps I have purchased again, but maybe I am wrong. Will try to pursue some of these ideas, but if anyone has faced something similar, I would like to hear from you.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

2. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

what do you mean by "the applications were not left intact"? What do they do/not do?

I think I remember reading of some people with a similar problem earlier. An Apple tech told them to download any new app from the app store (a free one will work), and for some reason that restored all other apps' functionality.

And for future reference, you can re-download previously purchased apps any time for no charge.

3. aknightstale41

Gold

I can confirm what cosmichip said...I uninstalled one app, and redownloaded it from the app store, and was good to go

4. Tom Bebee

Tom Bebee New Member

I was not thinking clearly and just happened to check the App Store on my newly updated , naked :) iPad. That is what I needed to do, just download the ones I had installed (both free and purchased). A note to myself though, if in the future I decide to actually store any data that I want to keep, to make sure that I backup with the version of iTunes that I installed the OS update with. I still think that was my problem and thereforee any data I had (just some notes, pictures, etc.) are now gone since the Apps had to be re-installed from the store. The killer was that I was using the Calendar to track a whole boat-load of things and now I have to recreate all the entries. Live and learn. Thanks for the replies.

Tom

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Your iPad backup should have all of the app data saved in it. If you lost something while updating, I'd recommend restoring the iPad, and setting it up from the last backup you did before the update.

6. Tom Bebee

Tom Bebee New Member

Therein lies the my problem. I did take a backup with iTunes 10.4.x, then had to upgrade to iTunes 10.5.x to do the IOS 5 upgrade. When I went to restore the iPad after doing the IOS upgrade, iTunes encountered an error (think it suggested the backup was corrupt). My guess is the a backup with iTunes 10.4 cannot be used by 10.5. If that is the case then iTunes does not have backward compatibilty. Turned out not a big deal, just sort of surprising that one subrelease back would not work.

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Actually, the old backup should work on the new iTunes.

8. JoeyJ

JoeyJ New Member

Exactly - I did the same exact thing and all my apps music and photos are lost and when I went back to restore it didn't work! Can someone please please please help me get all my apps back? at least the Music and Photos I can kind of resync...

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

If they're not on your computer, you can redownload apps from the app store for no additional charge.

10. JoeyJ

JoeyJ New Member

yep found all my apps in the "purchased" section in the apps store... but took me an hour to redownload each one and then reset those apps to the page and subfolders. Does everyone have to do this or is this a big #@$@% by Apple? What a total waste of time!

11. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

no, we would usually just restore from a backup in iTunes.

12. LI Rock Star

LI Rock Star New Member

Help guys, I did the latest upgrade and the recorder app I had with about 150 memos critical to my businesss is gone, I have always backed it up so if I download the app again from my purchased list I doubt it will have the memos attached, any idea how to access those memos?

Thanks so much!

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Reinstall the app and check if they are there. If not, you'll need to use your backup. You don't need to restore the firmware, just apply the backup:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. LI Rock Star

LI Rock Star New Member

Thanks Europa! I actually did it in reverse but it worked, you rock!

15. Bdevil

Bdevil New Member

Recently, i upgraded my ipad 2 (WIFI) to IOS 6.0.1 , after the upgrade, all my apps were gone (nothing unusual)
    But when i tried to RESTORE FROM BACK UP! it restarts and i still can't find a single app. , i had over 100 apps downloaded, and it'll be a hard time redownloading them. So, any advice please? i'm in deep trouble! please help?

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are they still in iTunes on your computer? If so, just sync them on. Go to the Apps tab and select the "Install" button next to the apps you want to sync.

Screen Shot 2013-01-28 at 9.19.01 AM.png