Restoring didn't restore (totally)

hookitlow

Jan 4, 2008
So I was jailbroken on 1.1.2 and restored to 1.1.4 and broke with ZiPhone. But when I restored and was supposedly back to factory, my carrier was still the custom one I set with MakeitMine. What gives? Anyone see this?

Is the restore through iTunes not a real restore? How would you get everything off if you needed service, say? Through the ziPhone app?

Thanks

John

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
So I was jailbroken on 1.1.2 and restored to 1.1.4 and broke with ZiPhone. But when I restored and was supposedly back to factory, my carrier was still the custom one I set with MakeitMine. What gives? Anyone see this?

Is the restore through iTunes not a real restore? How would you get everything off if you needed service, say? Through the ziPhone app?

Thanks

John
Thats really strange. To my knowledge a restore should have taken care of that. All the changes you can make with a jailbroken phone should be restored to factory settings when you restore in iTunes.

jpetticrew

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Houston
When you restored the firmware then restored you setting from the backup, it saved your hacked carrier in the back up. So when you "restored" you really just put all your jailbreak settings back.

hookitlow

Jan 4, 2008
When you restored the firmware then restored you setting from the backup, it saved your hacked carrier in the back up. So when you "restored" you really just put all your jailbreak settings back.
So if I set it up as a new phone, it would be factory? ie if I wanted to bring it into Apple for something, I would click restore but not the restore from backup and then I could resync it?

I don't need to right now, just kinda wanted to know.

John

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I'm not sure about that. When i was on 1.1.3. I plugged my phone in and it synced with all my jailbroken settings. Then i restored and updated. When it asked if i wanted to create a new partnership i said no and used my back up (jailbroken backup) and none of the settings of the jailbreak had been saved...Then when i jailbroke it using ziPhone i still didn't have any of my past jailbroken mods on it.

themanofthedark

Gold
Jan 5, 2008
Boston
if you restore after using Make it Mine, your carrier name will be saved unless you set up as a new phone.

Good day.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
So if I set it up as a new phone, it would be factory? ie if I wanted to bring it into Apple for something, I would click restore but not the restore from backup and then I could resync it?

I don't need to right now, just kinda wanted to know.

John
Yes, that's what would happen. Just make sure you sync before you restore, then set up as a new phone. Your next sync, your contacts and calendar would be saved. You'd lose your notes, though, and your personal settings.