Restoring Factory Settings

Sep 1, 2008
I have been frustrated with the lag that occurs when I try to access my contact list (only 52 contacts). So, I had the bright idea to restore my 3g i phone to factory settings. I backed it up before doing the reset and now the lag is fixed. However, all of my songs have been deleted from the phone and i-tunes will not let me sync them again. It says "an iPhone has previously been synced with this computer". When I try to restore factory settings again it says it was done successfuly but still no luck with the music and itnes still says "an iPhone has previously been synced with this computer" instead of giving me an option to sync. The only option I haven't tried to yet is to set it up as a new phone and I'm am afraid of what mess I wil get myself into if I do that. can anyone help? Of course it is labor day and Apple is closed.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
If you set as a new phone it will delete all your text, call records, etc. I don't know what else to tell you but I don't know what the problem is, sorry.

Sep 1, 2008
If you set as a new phone it will delete all your text, call records, etc. I don't know what else to tell you but I don't know what the problem is, sorry.
I appreciate your response. The problem is iTunes won't restore my songs when I restore from the back up. My songs are still in my iTunes library but they just won't sync.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
When you connect the iPhone, make sure you go to the music tab and make sure that sync music is selected. Either playlists or the whole library, I know it has to be selected there first.

BaLLi5t1c

Bronze
Jul 3, 2008
I am having the SAME exact problem. I had to restore my phone for the 4th time today because it froze during the install/update on two or three different applications. I restored it and my phone is working fine. I have all of my apps and contacts and whatnot but no music or anything in the iPod. I can't sync because it only gives me the option to restore or set it up as a new phone. I don't mind losing contacts, call log, etc... but is there any other downfall to setting it up as a new phone? It's really my only option at this point. I even tried to Restore it again last night after running into this problem and it came back with the same result. I uninstalled and re-installed iTunes and I'm still stuck. So, back to my original question, will I be losing/risking anything other than Contacts and Call Log (organizer data basically)?

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
You won't be losing anything other than text message histories you might have if you sync your contacts they should be back when you set the phone as a new iPhone.

sheelz

Bronze
Jan 13, 2009
I don't know if this will help but when you connect your iPhone to iTunes try it with only 'manually manage files' or suchlike checked on the Summary page.

Miss M

Jan 3, 2009
I couldnt sync anything until i also clicked MANUALLY MANAGE FILES that usually allows you to drag and drop.

dfwgirl

Bronze
Jun 29, 2010
This is what iTunes is prompting me to do. Apparently it can no longer read the "contents of this iPhone." :( My main concern is that I have the app called "downloads." Within the files of this app I have a few song and 5 movies. Once I restore my phone, will the media files within this app be restored also? Its hard being a newbie sometimes. lol

dfwgirl

Bronze
Jun 29, 2010
Yay! Success! I found the answer in the software forum post from '07. :). If this happens to anyone else, you go to http://i-funbox.com. Then find iTunesdb within the site and delete it. This seems to cure all.

Casebrius

Bronze
Aug 18, 2009
Lafayette, La
Is it possible to restore a iPhone 4 to factory defaults without an internet connection? The only connection I have is my 3Gs which I tether from. Thanks.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm pretty sure that you need iTunes and an internet connection to restore iPhone firmware. There is an option to reset all settings and erase the phone in the Settings app; Settings> General> Reset. To restore iOS the device must "touch base" with a server to get the okay to restore said software.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
What happens if I connect 2 iPhones to computer at the same time? Does it freak iTunes out?
No it doesn't freak iTunes out. Unless, one of the iPhones doesn't belong/linked to that computer.

I would personally recommend staying away from reseting all data and content - it can go wrong. You may as well just hit the restore button in iTunes. When the phone restores set it up as new. Once you've done that, hit Settings-Store-Sign Out.

Casebrius

Bronze
Aug 18, 2009
Lafayette, La
I am only doing this in an effort to make visual voicemail work again. I have not been able to get it to work ( on iPhone 4) after restoring data from my 3Gs. If anyone has a better idea please chime in.

Casebrius

Bronze
Aug 18, 2009
Lafayette, La
Tried resetting them multiple times. Spent 4 hours in 5 calls to ATT. Spent another hour with Apple rep.. Went and talked ATT into giving me a new phone. As soon as I restored from 3GS backup, it nuts up. It won't show messages. 3Gs was tethered Benm style at one point and jailbroken at one point. Something is transferring that screws VVM up.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Yeah, the back ups are screwing it up, clearly.

Restore the phone again and set-up as new. I know it's a pain setting everything up again but would you rather have a fully working phone?