Restoring from backup?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Valkyrith, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Valkyrith

Valkyrith New Member

Okay, I've just had my iPhone and jailbreak upgraded to 5.0.1 (which, thus far has been unproductive as hell...) and I was wondering if any harm will come if I were to restore from the backup before I had the update done. I've seen around the net that it's fine to restore from a back-up and that it will keep your jailbreak intact, and was wanting to check the validity of that. However, I've also read that it can cause issues with the phone to do so, and if that's the case, I'd rather just start anew and save myself a problem down the road.
    As a final note, if I restore from the back-up before my phone was updated, will that also restore all of the cydia stuff I had? Or will I still have to go back through and recover all of my sources and downloads manually from cydia?
    Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Restoring will force you to upgrade to 5.1. Also, it will remove your Jailbreak and everything included with it. Basically, it'll be a brand new restore. You will then have to re-jailbreak and reinstall everything unless you saved your Cydia packages through PKG Backup. Make sure they are all compatible with iOS 5.1.

3. Valkyrith

Valkyrith New Member

Well, I understand that a "regular" restore would force me to upgrade and wipe everything. What I'm asking is when I connect my phone to my computer, iTunes gives me two options. The first being to set the phone up as a new phone, the second being to restore the phone with the backup from the day before I had the update applied. When I had it jailbroken the first time, I'm fairly certain I was told it'd be fine to restore it from the backup and I believe that got all of my content back. I just wasn't sure if something had changed with this update since I had seen people advising against it.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Restoring from backup will be fine but you will still be forced to upgrade to 5.1 and re jailbreak.

5. Valkyrith

Valkyrith New Member

Well...guess I'd be best off just trying to sync my contacts to iCloud and start over. Don't feel like paying to have the jailbreak redone. Thanks for the help :)

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

What do you mean by paying to have the jailbreak redone? It's free and anybody can do it. It takes 5 minutes to do. And also usually iTunes saves your contacts automatically. But I use a program called contactsync for even more surety.

7. Valkyrith

Valkyrith New Member

I don't know how to do a jailbreak, so I just paid someone to jailbreak and unlock my phone for me. I'm afraid I'll screw it up.

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Most of anything you do will not mess up your phone, and can usually be fixed easily. You shouldn't ever pay someone to jailbreak. There are tutorials of how to do it. It's common sense. And you can ask here for help!

9. Valkyrith

Valkyrith New Member

Is unlocking as simple as jailbreaking? lol
    And given that my phone is (and preferably stays) at 5.0.1, from my understanding, I need to save and keep certain files so I can get the software back to that version for the jailbreak.

10. greasemuntney

greasemuntney Member
    Bronze

You are kinda screwed. Now that Apple has stopped signing iOS 5.0.1 then you will not be able to restore to iOS 5.0.1 it will make you update and with you having someone else JB your phone means you do not have SHSH Blobs or anything like that saved so you are going to lose you JB and Unlock. If you have not started trying yet I would NOT do it. You will lose everything and not ba able to JB un-tethered right now on 5.1 and will update base band meaning NO UNLOCK for you.