Restoring from iTunes cloud

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
I think I messed up. I backed my iPhone 5 up to the cloud before activatin the iPhone 6. I assumed the back up was complete and turned the phone off. Now half my pics and stuff are stuck downloading. Should I restore to factory settings and try again?

Last edited:

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
How much extra iCloud do you pay for?

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
I have enough gigs. I pay for 20 and only use 5.2

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
I always backup right to my PC. With the encrypted backup, passwords and stuff are saved too.

OP, hope you get it sorted out.

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
Can anyone help me sort out how to scrap this restore and start another?

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
You should just be able to "erase all content and settings" in the settings app and then start all over.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Does your old iPhone have all of your data? If you're concerned about not having a complete iCloud backup, I would delete the content on your new iPhone and backup your old iPhone to iCloud. Once that's completed, do a restore on your new iPhone 6 using the completed iCloud backup from your old phone.

To speed things up, you could also backup on your Mac/PC and restore via a tethered connection.

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
Does your old iPhone have all of your data? If you're concerned about not having a complete iCloud backup, I would delete the content on your new iPhone and backup your old iPhone to iCloud. Once that's completed, do a restore on your new iPhone 6 using the completed iCloud backup from your old phone.

To speed things up, you could also backup on your Mac/PC and restore via a tethered connection.
Thanks guys! I decided to do it the old fashioned way to save time. I tried doing something differently by restoring via iCloud but I think it's best just to use the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Thanks guys! I decided to do it the old fashioned way to save time. I tried doing something differently by restoring via iCloud but I think it's best just to use the computer b
Nothing like old school connections. Good luck and hope it turns out ok for you.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I tried to restore my iPhone 5 backup up from iTunes and I got a message when it was almost finished that it was corrupt and incompatible with the new phone.

Oh well, was going to set up as new this coming week but I guess I'm doing it tonight.

VOLS34

Zealot
Gold
Jun 25, 2010
I tried to restore my iPhone 5 backup up from iTunes and I got a message when it was almost finished that it was corrupt and incompatible with the new phone.

Oh well, was going to set up as new this coming week but I guess I'm doing it tonight.
It's not that bad. The important stuff like contacts sync anyway. You can go to your purchased history in iTunes & the App Store & download all the apps you want to keep.

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah, it's just a PITA I didn't want to deal with tonight. No biggie.

J-94

Zealot
Bronze
Mar 7, 2011
Nothing like old school connections. Good luck and hope it turns out ok for you.
Thanks! I decided to let the iCloud restore run its course while I updated my iTunes on my old computer. If it's not finished by the time I head off to work, will the restore pause itself until I can get back to wifi?