Restoring iPhone 4S after jailbreak...

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by ammoh, Jun 2, 2012.

1. ammoh

ammoh New Member

Hi all,

I'm very pleased to be a part of this forum to meet likeminded people and I hope you are all cool!;)

Anyway, my question is probably one which you have heard many times before. Unfortunately thats where I get more confused and I hope I can I put my mind at ease.

I've jailbroken my iPhone 4S, running iOS 5.1.1, with absinthe but found that my phone is booting really slow and the battery drains really fast than normal. While I know that jailbreak does not cause this problem, it's the apps and tweaks. Lucky I didn't download any because I wanted to see what the jailbreaking scene is about. I decided that jailbreaking is not for me so I decided to restore to factory settings in order to get rid of all traces of jailbreak if I take it back to Apple store.

The steps I did was:
    1. Restore my phone via iTunes to remove jailbreak.
    2. Went to 'Erase all Content and Settings' in Settings>General>Reset.
    3. While my phone was getting erased, I deleted all backups from iTunes.
    4. When the iPhone was done erasing, I plugged it in to iTunes and set the phone as new.

After a while, I realised that I forgot to save my photos on my computer before I jailbroke my iPhone. I remembered that I saved and created a backup of my photos on iCloud before I jailbroke my phone. I did not save or backup my phone when it was jailbroken. I restored my iPhone via iCloud backup.

What I want to to know that did I do the right thing and will Apple found out if I jailbroke my iPhone thus invalidating the warranty? Tell me what to do or if I did the right thing. I don't mind doing it again but I want to know how to save my photos, videos and contacts before I set up as new.

Thanks and sorry about the long post! :)

2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

As long as your photos are saved on iCloud, you should be ok. As far as any traces of Jailbreaking, restoring your iPhone via iTunes puts it back to factory. iTunes does not save any Jailbreak data. This help link will give you information on backing your device up and restoring it to factory state. Other than that, it seems like you're on the right track. May I ask for what reason you wanted to Jailbreak? There are plenty of apps and tweaks for all. :)

Are you having any battery issues and slowness after restoring?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

3. ammoh

ammoh New Member

Thanks for the reply Moneymaker!

I just to jailbreak my iPhone 4S to see what the fuss was about.
    While I was impressed with the tweaks and apps in cydia (BiteSMS, Springtomize, iFile and My3G), it didn't really appeal to me. My main aim was to get apps and games. But I already knew how before I jailbroke it ;).

My main reason is that when I jailbroke it, the music player was a bit off the screen and kept on randomly playing songs when I pressed the music player icon. Also when it loaded, I noticed that on top of the screen, it used to show coloured lines for a few seconds before the screen went back to normal. I know I did not mess around with iFile or any tweaks.

Even when I restored via iTunes to get rid off jailbreak, it still showed the same thing but for a much shorter time. It disappeared when I went to 'Erase all Contents and Settings' and restored as new phone. I just wanted to know that I got rid of any jailbreak files and commands so that if I take it back to Apple shop so that if the same thing happens again, they will not know that I jailbroke my phone.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You should be good to go after erasing all content and settings and restoring as a new phone. :)

5. ammoh

ammoh New Member

So even when I restored from iCloud? You got to remember that I set up as new phone first, got rid of my previous backups and restored again from iCloud.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I just read online that, 'iTunes (iCloud) does not backup jailbreak stuff, so no. You will not restore any jailbreak stuff'.

7. ammoh

ammoh New Member

Whew! Thanks for that! :D(y)

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

No problem. Hope you're iPhone starts having better battery and startup is quicker.

9. XweAponX

XweAponX New Member

Hi guys - I'm Jailbroken on an iPhone 4 32g - at 5.1.1 using Absinthe, and not JB yet on a new 4S 64g with 5.0.1 - Although some of the things in 6.0.1 appeal to me, I don't want to up just yet, I will when they get some JB's for the 4S/A5 happening.

Regarding the power drain - This is not a JB problem, it depends on your Apps - If you have any apps that use Bluetooth, Location services or have a built in FTP server, it will drain you. If you set up iTunes sharing, it will drain you. Certain apps tht remote control apps on your PC will drain you. For example - the remote app for CyberDVD/PowerDVD - It is a great program no doubt, but the iPhone apps, there are two free PowerDVD apps, one a remote controller which is excellent, and another which just manages videos - That one, it has a server that runs all the time even when in sleep mode it sucks power at abut 2 points per half hour or more, so the next morning your iPhone will be drained.

Most apps can be controlled and you have to check the settings folder for hidden features, the PowerDVD app you have to shut off the server fucntion inside the app itself, actually what it does, it allows you t grab and play all kinds of movies and DVD from your computers, but to work right it runs a server which sucks power.

Each app that has some kind of server fucntion, has settings which you have to look all through your phone to find, I know most of the apps I own (well over 500 but not all installed)- If your battery is draining there are apps, free apps that tell you what processes are running, from there you can look up the processes and see what the culprit may be.

A fully charged iPhone should give you, with moderate use, up to 2 and a half days of use. If you use Facebook or other apps like that, it gobbles up your power rapidly. Movie players eat the power too, I use Hobbyist Software VLC Streamer, which uses the least power. But i general all Video apps use a lot of battery.
    If you use an HDMI adapter, yo get about 2 hours of viewing time, it uses up quite a bit of power to send the HDMI out - At least on my phone.

I just backed up my 4S and I am abtu to JB 5.0.1 - I am expecting, if I restore the backup I just made, it will attach 6.0.1 to it, unless they come up with another iOS update. Too many updates, too quickly, not enough timefor Dev-Team to crack each change. I intend to stay at iOS 6.0.1 for a while- So I'll monitor the Apple releases to make sure I can get 6.0.1, sometimes they put out an update wih little notice. Is there an Apple blog that has iOS release dates?

Ayway I was reading this just to make sure I got the backup restore right, this is all I need to do, is restore the backup to rid the JB? If there is any other step I need to know of, please let me know.

10. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You will probably be better creating a new thread within the iPhone Jailbreak section of the forum.