Restoring iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by bballrob, Oct 5, 2013.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

So this afternoon, I returned my 32 GB Space Gray iPhone 5S to my local AT&T Store where I picked it up using my daughter's upgrade 14 days ago. Amazingly, they even waived my $35 restock fee, I think partly because the line was so damn long(50 minute wait) before anyone was available to help me, not to mention the various issues the employee who was taking the return had getting my 4S hooked back up properly. It probably didn't help much that I only volunteered the information about the fact that the 5S I was returning was done on a "cross upgrade" until she started asking if that one was a mail order(no, the GOlden Phone that is sitting in Korea to be delivered on Tuesday is the one I ordered online), and then if the line that upgrade came from currently had another smart phone on it(no, my daughter hasn't seen or touched the 5S that was picked up on her upgrade since she's gone away at college).

So anyhow, now I'm trying to restore everything to my iPhone 4S to use for the next 3 days until my Golden Phone arrives. I backed up the 5S this morning before I left for work, but didn't wipe it at home via iTunes because I knew that I wouldn't be returning it until lunch time and didn't want to be phoneless in the interim period. When I got to AT&T, while I was waiting, I tried wiping the 5S while I was waiting, however, I have already forgotten the restrictions pass code I had put on it, so I couldn't do that. I deleted critical things like email accounts, logged out of iCloud, signed out of the App Store, and deleted most apps that would have had any "sensitive" information in them. But, and I know some of you will think I'm nuts, I went ahead and handed it over to AT&T unwiped, and of course they tried wiping it too but couldn't due to the unknown restrictions password that was still in effect. I even asked the lady if I took it back to wipe it via iTunes if I could do it that way, and she said no, with the new iOS, if there is a restrictions password, it must be entered to wipe the phone clean no matter the method. She did still take the return.

Back to the restore issue now. I did the last sync and backup of the 5S this morning around 5:30 AM. When I Finished, it even said, "Last back up: 10/4/13 5:30 AM to this computer". Now, when I plug in this 4S to try and restore from my last 5S backup, it says "Last backup, 9/20/13 7:20 PM to this computer". There doesn't seem to be any sign of the 530 AM backup I did today.

Can anyone tell me how I can restore from the backup I did this morning? Or if that's even possible? I'd like to keep the settings on the 4S as close to what I had on the 5S, if that's possible.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's prompting you to use the latest 4S backup you made. Is there any way you can just use that one for the weekend? You shouldn't lose too much other than texts and voicemails over the past couple weeks. A lot of data is synced over iCloud. It should ask you to restore from the 5s backup when you get your gold iPhone on Tuesday. There might be a limitation on restoring an old phone (4S) from a new phone's (5s) backup. There a drop down list of backups if they are available to be used. Either way, I recommend just leaving that space grey 5s backup for your new gold 5s to minimize the chance of problems.

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I have to admit I figured if anyone would know the answer, you would. I'm taking your answer and running with it. After all, it's only 3 days.

Sent using iCafe app

4. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

Why buy a 5S with the intent to return it just cause you couldn't wait for you're gold to come?

I think that phone could have went to someone who would be grateful and not return it intentionally

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

5. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Because I can. And besides, it helped to get the supply of refurbished iPhone 5Ss started.

Sent using iCafe app

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Did you mean: China

7. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

No. It left China on Wednesday. It has been sitting in Korea since Thursday.

Sent using iCafe app

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Oh wow... last I ordered online I don't recall it making a stop in Korea... (But I might be wrong...) I guess yours is taking the scenic route!