Restoring iPhone after jailbraking with ZiPhone!

Sebanator

Mar 26, 2008
Hello, everyone.

I have a question about ZiPhone. Two days ago I jailbroke my iPhone using ZiPhone and then decided to restore it just to test it out.

When I restored the iPhone, it gave me the option on iTunes to either restore as "new iPhone" or restore according to my existing iPhone with my cell phone number and everything. I chose the second option that had my cell phone number on it.

It restored everything back to the way it was, much to my relief. I just want to know if my iPhone is COMPLETELY in the clear now. If I were to install the upcoming update in June, would my iPhone be alright, or should I go back to iTunes and restore it completely as a new iPhone?

Sorry for the long paragraph.

Sebanator

Mar 26, 2008
PERFECT! Thanks, ColsTiger. Just want to make sure I restored it correctly. What do you think about ZiPhone's reliability? Do you think it works alright?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
PERFECT! Thanks, ColsTiger. Just want to make sure I restored it correctly. What do you think about ZiPhone's reliability? Do you think it works alright?
It seems to be the overwhelming favorite among jailbreakers. As long as you research the apps you install, you should be fine.

I would suggest you post any questions about the jailbreaking process on the iPhone Modifications forum. That's where the true jailbreaking experts hang out.

Enjoy! :D

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I don't mean to confuse the issue... but now I have a question:

I thought it was always best to choose "new iPhone" when restoring to truly get it back to factory condition? Am I mistaken?

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I don't mean to confuse the issue... but now I have a question:

I thought it was always best to choose "new iPhone" when restoring to truly get it back to factory condition? Am I mistaken?
Psylichon & OP,
I love you both. I tried restoring as a new phone. My email is now working, but yes the whole phone gets erased. I guess a restore and back up, only erases certain things. The New Phone option takes it back to factory state...Thanks guys, you saved me a trip to The Apple Store...:laugh2:Mark

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Psylichon & OP,
I love you both. I tried restoring as a new phone. My email is now working, but yes the whole phone gets erased. I guess a restore and back up, only erases certain things. The New Phone option takes it back to factory state...Thanks guys, you saved me a trip to The Apple Store...:laugh2:Mark
Sweet! I guess that answers our question then, huh?

Really glad things worked out for you... cya round...

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Based on what psylichon posted, I would suggest reading a little more about ZiPhone before you upgrade your phone in the future.

This seems to be the most definitive thread on ZiPhone.

ZiPhone Questions? Look Here

The good thing is that it seems you have the option to restore multiple times with ZiPhone. IF your phone is unlocked or jailbroken, it's always best to wait before upgrading to a newly released firmware. As long as your phone is restored "correctly", then it should be in a virgin state and you shouldn't have any problem with a firmware update.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Based on what psylichon posted, I would suggest reading a little more about ZiPhone before you upgrade your phone in the future.
I'm confused as to who you're addressing and also your opinion on the question at hand...?

Everything I've read about ZiPhone always says to restore as a new user and not restore from backup. You disagree?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm confused as to who you're addressing and also your opinion on the question at hand...?

Everything I've read about ZiPhone always says to restore as a new user and not restore from backup. You disagree?
No I don't disagree. I was just telling the OP to read more about it before upgrading to a new firmware. He said his phone was working fine. I said that people use ZiPhone without any issues. After you pointed out that there are two different options to choose, I posted a link so he could read the different options in the thread by manofthedark.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I posed the question to Sam... let's see what he says.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Based on his thread, he should say restore it as a New Phone and not from the backup. The OP said everything was working fine on his phone though.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm sure it's fine for now. The question mark is when he goes to upgrade to 2.0

Personally i'd go with what Sam says.

Sebanator

Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I restored it as an old phone because I don't want to lose all of the pictures I so PAINSTAKINGLY took the time to assign to my contacts. The phone works just fine now. Of course, this is no guarantee that it will work fine once the June update comes.

I guess I wanted to hear the good news that if I restored the phone as a new iPhone, that I wouldn't end up losing all of the pictures taken with tbd iPhone camera, you know?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Yeah, I restored it as an old phone because I don't want to lose all of the pictures I so PAINSTAKINGLY took the time to assign to my contacts. The phone works just fine now. Of course, this is no guarantee that it will work fine once the June update comes.

I guess I wanted to hear the good news that if I restored the phone as a new iPhone, that I wouldn't end up losing all of the pictures taken with tbd iPhone camera, you know?
Yeah it would suck to have to add all those things back manually. Make sure to follow that link I provided to manofthedark's ziPhone thread, and it might not hurt to read ziPhone's blog too.

This seems to be the most important piece from manofthedark's post:

Note: if you ever restore after using ZiPhone, or you ever want to return your phone to a truly stock state and avoid all problems that may arise in the future, select "Set up as NEW phone in iTunes when it asks you for instructions following a restore. This is called a "new partnership"

Tha
t would go right along with what psylichon posted.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly

There are steps you can take to avoid losing your data.

1. synchronize your iPhone with your Address Book/Outlook/iCal/Internet Explorer/Whatever you use... just use something. That way your contacts, calendar, and bookmarks get saved to something OTHER than the backup iTunes does when it syncs your phone. That way, you can start anew, sync with your partner programs, and get everything back.

Ya gotta understand, when you sync after jailbreaking, certain files pertaining to the JB are saved in your backup. That's why you can't restore to a previous save state... there will be remnants that could cause issues.

2. You can get your pictures off the phone easily to back them up. I try to do this regularly. In XP, when docking the iPhone, it shows up as Apple Device, which I can then browse to see my pics, and copy them to my computer. I'm sure there are similar provisions in Mac land.

In fact, it's not too late now. If you set up these sync partnerships and get all your data off, you can safely restore as a new partnership and resync it and you will be absolutely clean.

Sebanator

Mar 26, 2008
Thanks so much, Psylichon. I'm about to do the New restore from scratch, of course after backing everything up. Glad I found this forum to help me out! Thanks to you and ColsTiger for the help!

Sebastian

Sebanator

Mar 26, 2008
Thanks to all of you guys, I was able to restore everything as a new iPhone and I was able to back up my pictures through the Windows XP I have on my Mac with Parallels.

:)