Restoring iPhone from both iCloud and PC

Discussion in 'iCloud' started by enjoylife1788, Jan 4, 2013.

1. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

Hey guys,

Up till now I have always used pc for backing and restoring process.

Of late I have started using iCloud for backing up. Although I take periodic backups on my PC too..

Now I know how the iCloud restore works. It restores and setting and then it it downloads all the apps and content.

Now I want to just download the settings, messages etc and the download apps from my PC. I do this because I don't have such a fast Internet connection and also all the apps are already on my PC. So I find it waste of bandwidth.

So is there anyway? I also like this approach because I can do selective backup with iCloud. As in I can only backup data from the apps I want. iTunes backup backs up everything without any options.

This way I can only backup messages and a few apps and have a feel of restore as new phone without losing the messages.

Can this be done?

Thanks guys.. :)

Sent using iCafe app

2. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Just go into your settings for iCloud on your phone and turn off anything you don't want to backup to the cloud. This does not affect how what your pc backs up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

Thanks for your reply. :)

But I am aware the backing up options.

If you read my post u will find that I don't know how to restore from iCloud and PC together. Is that possible?

Sent using iCafe app

4. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Simple answer is no. A restore is just that a restore. It over writes the whole system. Now you could restore from iCloud then drag and drop from the computer everything else you want. Just like I said before turn off what you don't want to back up in iCloud.

5. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

So basically are u saying that which ever app I turn off in iCloud settings won't be downloaded too when I restore.. If that's the case then that's what I want. I will disable all apps and that way I get only messages plus contacts and all minus the apps downloading.

Am I getting it right here?

Sent using iCafe app

6. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Ok let's start over. iCloud does not back up your apps only the data for them if you choose. When you do a restore it restores settings for the most part which is also a list of apps you have on your phone and where they are located. The restore then reinstalls the apps from App Store not from iCloud.
    You should be able to start the restore from iCloud then when it starts downloading apps hook it to the computer and it should install them from iTunes on the computer.

Not sure you would save much bandwidth for like I said the apps are not backed up only the data and if you turn that off the data would be lost anyway. Not sure if what you save is worth all the trouble. But it's you time and bandwidth.

7. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

I guess we both are on the same page.

I would definitely save bandwidth by not downloading the apps all over again. Right?

You mentioned the point about connecting to the computer after the iCloud restore and installing apps from the computer. That's exactly what I want. Are u sure this works?

I mean after the restore how does the computer know to download apps from PC and not over the Internet?

Sent using iCafe app

8. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Im about 90% sure have never has a reason to really test. Once your phone has connected to iTunes on your computer it has been my experience that it copies the apps from the computer if they are up to date. With this method you will most likely lose some if not all your data on the apps.

If bandwidth is such a concern why use iCloud at all and just back it up to the computer. Seems to me you are going to use a lot more bandwidth backing up with iCloud everyday than you would use the rarely used restore. You can still do this on your home wifi and have very little if any bandwidth of the Internet.

9. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

I agree with you on saving bandwidth part by not using iCloud at all.

But the issue is iTunes backs up everything and I am actually looking for selective backup.. Also I backup only a few apps data and my backup size is only couple of hundred MBs.

So that's why m looking for a hybrid solution.

Sent using iCafe app

10. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Well you would most likely lose all app data doing a hybrid way. But the point I'm asking is how often do you need to restore from backup. Seems like a waste of time unless your restoring every day or week. I maybe restored my iPhone except for upgrading phones maybe 3 times since I got my iPhone 3G. Like I said your time to waste.

11. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

I want to just do it once as I have a very big other section. But I have apps worth 10 gigs and I don't wanna re download all the apps with iCloud.. :)

Sent using iCafe app

12. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Then just do a back up to the computer and be done with it if its just once. Will take you a fraction of the time.

13. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

As I mentioned the "other"section is too big. And I am afraid it's because it's one of the old backups and has a lot of clutter.

So ideally I would do a fresh restore but I can't afford to lose the messages.

And the only way I guess I would do it delete all apps and just do a minimal backup and the restore from iCloud.

That would be a bit of a hassle but would solve the purpose.

Sent using iCafe app

14. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

You can't do a fresh restore and pick and choose what you what to restore back. You'll have to use a third party program to save messages or you loose them.

15. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

10 gig is not really that big and would not take that long on the pc. If you reinstall the apps anyway your not saving a thing.

16. enjoylife1788

enjoylife1788 Member
    Bronze

I guess you are right there.. Will think on it.. Thanks :)

Sent using iCafe app