Restoring New iPhone from back up of a Jailbroken one

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by Pieman, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Pieman

Pieman New Member

I was wondering if anybody can advise me on a predicament that I have...

A while back I bought a 3GS for my wife on ebay. It was listed as being on the o2 network. So the phone arrives and it turns out to be a jailbroken one. Obviously the seller had it jailbroken to unlock it to any network. It wasn't on the o2 network at all. A bit naughty by the seller.

So now I have bought an iPhone 4 for my wife. I want to know if its safe to restore that from the back up of the jailbroken one. My wife has never used the jailbreak features. It has been a pain because she has never been able to upgrade the software on it. She has got hundreds of photos on the jailbroken phone that she does not want to lose. Maybe it would be better to save the photos to a PC. And transfer them to the new phone. And not go for the restore from back up option.
    Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's fine to use the backup. I prefer to start fresh once a year with each new iPhone I get, but I use my jailbroken backups throughout the year. If you experience any problems, you can always restore to factory settings at that time. I still recommend syncing the photos to a computer and backing them up.

3. Pieman

Pieman New Member

Thanks for the reply Europa. A jailbroken phone is of no interest to my wife. I just wanted to make sure that the new phone wouldn't be affected by the back up and restore from the old one. Yes we will have to save the photos. They are quite precious, mostly ones of our young son since birth.