Restoring Nightmare!

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
I've had my iPhone for a couple days and I was still over the moon BUT today I was innocently checking my sms inbox when suddenly my phone went blank. In a state of panic, I scoured the internet and found the methods of restoring. According to a website, I'm on 1.1.2 because I've got the Itune logo with the plug displayed (is this correct?). I'm assuming it's unlocked. I've tried the restoring using the shift click to choose the firmware. I tried it with 1.1.1. For some reason, it was gets stuck at the 'preparing iPhone for restore'. There's nothing going on the phone screen. It stays like this for at least 3 minutes until it pops out an error box saying 'The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604).' Ladies and gentlemen. I hate seeing grown men cry and I hate it even more that it's me. Please help. Please. I grovel at your feet.

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
1.1.1 and 1.1.2 uses different basebands. Just restore to 1.1.2 and you'll be ok. HTH
I'm kinda skeptical that I'm on 1.1.2 but I've been trying it as well. I've tried Ibrick and the green screen thing I read about. I've uninstalled iTunes, I've pressed the power + home buttons and I've lost all my hair from my constant pulls. I'm starting to regret not buying the HTC Dual Touch instead.

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
So I've somehow been able to get it restored with iTunes telling me that my phone will restart and bla bla bla. But the thing is, it never does restart. It gets stuck with the gray Apple logo. Now what?

thepunisher1991

Bronze
Jul 30, 2007
So I've somehow been able to get it restored with iTunes telling me that my phone will restart and bla bla bla. But the thing is, it never does restart. It gets stuck with the gray Apple logo. Now what?
i don't you put it in restore mod and use ibricker to boost it to your home screen

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
i don't you put it in restore mod and use ibricker to boost it to your home screen
Tried that and all I get is a green screen and the loop continues. Does it matter if I try using a different computer or iTunes version? because when I was using 7.5, I couldn't get iTunes to even begin restoring but with 7.3.2, it restores but the phone doesn't restart.

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
OK, new dilemma.

I can restore with 1.0.2 firmware. I can get to the 'slide for emergency' thing BUT i can't follow the unlocking instructions because iPhone needs to be in 1.1.1. So I try iBrick but it can't fully get my phone to unlock because at the end, it still goes back to the yellow triangle thing.

So, with iTUnes, i try restoring with 1.1.1 straight but I keep getting errors and it never works. So what do I do?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I'd take the phone to someone else who has a computer that doesn't have every possible version of iTunes installed, and who has a brand new USB cable and an up-to-date iTunes, and can start afresh. You could have that phone back to normal in a matter of minutes.

You've just got yourself screwed up trying to knit fog.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I'd take the phone to someone else who has a computer that doesn't have every possible version of iTunes installed, and who has a brand new USB cable and an up-to-date iTunes, and can start afresh. You could have that phone back to normal in a matter of minutes.

You've just got yourself screwed up trying to knit fog.
I agree. Find someone that knows what they're doing...

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
update

So, I am able to restore 1.1.1. BUT the phone doesn't restart meaning it just gets stuck with the Apple logo. It isn't being detected by iTunes or iBrick. I think I'll just try again in a couple hours. I'm thinking a good battery drain will teach this iPhone who' the boss around here.

On another note, with my Nokia N80 being checked for repairs, I'm currently using a 6500 classic. All I can say is that this phone is more than just good looks. It's actually quite competent and with 3G even has an edge over the iPhone but having said that.. I WANT MY iPhone BACK! SOMEONE, HELP!

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
I agree. Find someone that knows what they're doing...

I'd love to do that but with where I am at, I'm quite alone. The thought of bringing it into a Mac shop for help has crossed my mind but how exactly am I going to do that with an iPhone under AT&T while I'm all the way in Malaysia and not even using AT&T? Plus, to ask them to help me unlock it... I don't think so.

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
When lots of things have been changed it's a bit difficult to know what's what. If you have the latest iTunes you should be able to do a simple restore to 1.1.2 and be working again. The phone hasn't been unlocked has it?
The phone was unlocked for me since iPhone is yet to be released in Asia. It's really not looking good at the moment.

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
update

I've somehow gotten the 1.1.1 version up and working but everytime I do the jailbreak.com thingy, it just doesn't want to work. Is it normal for the screen to go blank even though the auto-lock is set to never?

seanrubis

Dec 12, 2007
I feel like crying now. I have finally been able to bring my iPhone back to life. The lords must love me. Anyways, I'm happily loading my songs back into it eventhough my sister promised to given me her iPod for christmas (because she wants to get the new small iPod with video).

Just a little background on how I did it; patience. A lot of patience. I figured I was just being too hasty in restoring because it took awhile for the phone to restart after the restore so I thought it didn't work.

But thanks for giving me an outlet to vent my frustrations.

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
I'm kinda skeptical that I'm on 1.1.2 but I've been trying it as well. I've tried Ibrick and the green screen thing I read about. I've uninstalled iTunes, I've pressed the power + home buttons and I've lost all my hair from my constant pulls. I'm starting to regret not buying the HTC Dual Touch instead.
don't regret it; it's nothing compared to the iPhone.