Restoring notes on 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by PicMeUp, Feb 14, 2013.

1. PicMeUp

PicMeUp Member
    Bronze

I have a non-jb 3GS, warranty expired and version 4.2.1, STILL! Do not have access to a PC/Mac, and notes have not been backed up using iTunes. My notes went from 117 to 107! Did not "accidentally delete them. This "wonderful" 3GS did, after it was power-cycled! :) I need to get those notes back! Some of those notes have over 360 entries! :D Can you all please help me? Explain it to me like i am in the first grade. :cool: I have 60+ issues with this new out-of-the-box, "not-so user friendly", iPhone! If more information is needed, please let me know. :D

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There are multiple ways to back them up. You can use iTunes, iCloud, email or manually backup the Notes.db file. iCloud is the most current and reliable since the backups are done automatically every 24 hours.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get your missing notes back if you didn't use one of the above methods to back them up.

EDIT: forgot to add the word "no" in the last sentence.

3. PicMeUp

PicMeUp Member
    Bronze

Unfortunately, there is way to get your missing notes back if you didn't use one of the above methods to back them up.

How I do that?! :)

4. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I believe it was meant to say there isn't a way to get them back if you did not back them up in some way shape or form.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sorry. I forgot the word "no" in that sentence. Post edited.

6. PicMeUp

PicMeUp Member
    Bronze

Oh! :cry: Thanks for the help anyway! Learned some new stuff(the up-side)...as always! :cool: Yeah! :D

7. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

But, with a 3GS, there is NO iCloud.
    Did you find out if the notes button on one of your email accounts was turned off? I had my notes disappear once and found out I had turned them off in one of my email accounts.

8. EverythingApple

Gold

How do you manually backup the Notes.db file on a non-jailbroken phone?

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

With iFile. Email it to yourself after you create the .zip file.
    image.jpg

image.jpg

10. EverythingApple

Gold

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I was just listing all the methods for backing it up. I stated none of these would help him now since he has no backup. It was meant for future reference to prevent it from happening again. Of course, he'd have to jailbreak to use that one.

12. PicMeUp

PicMeUp Member
    Bronze

From EverythingApple
    Did you find out if the notes button on one of your email accounts was turned off? I had my notes disappear once and found out I had turned them off in one of my email accounts.
    @@@@@@@@@@
    What is the path? (n)

13. jimmerlink

jimmerlink New Member

Suggestion: Make a duplicate copy of your backup file, as it's pretty easy for iTunes to overwrite it. On a mac, it's saved in user/library/application support/mobilesync--windows, I don't know (but I think it's inside a MobileSync folder--google should tell you). Just copy it to a new location.

Then, if by some chance the notes don't restore to the iPhone or you want to set the phone up new, you should be able to use an extractor utility on that old backup file, to recover the text of the notes.

14. PicMeUp

PicMeUp Member
    Bronze