Restoring the 3G

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
If we have to have ATT activate the new phone, will we be able to restore with iTunes? It sounds like a simple question, but if we can't restore ourselves, then it makes jailbreaking almost impossible.

Or am I missing something?

RichR

Bronze
Sep 30, 2007
Well, if you think about it.... If you restore the phone on iTunes, that would be the same as having the phone fresh out of the box and as it stands the phone will not activate without AT&T or Apple doing something no...? Unless they burn something into the sim at the store but then why would they go through the fuss to get you to activate at the store only if not to crush the jailbroken & hacked iPhones once and for all.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
Well, if you think about it.... If you restore the phone on iTunes, that would be the same as having the phone fresh out of the box and as it stands the phone will not activate without AT&T or Apple doing something no...? Unless they burn something into the sim at the store but then why would they go through the fuss to get you to activate at the store only if not to crush the jailbroken & hacked iPhones once and for all.
I agree, and I think that's where were heading. I don't understand why more people are not talking about this?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I'm sure Apple and AT&T have a plan for this. If they're making you activate in store then I'm sure they won't make it impossible for you to restore at home.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Wow I didn't even think about this. You are absolutely right. How are we going to be able to restore? Maybe the new firmware will recognize your account no matter how many times you restore? I guess the sim card or some partition on the iPhone are the only things I can think of that may work.

chrissurra

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
I was thinking about this too, they might have something server side that when you restore the phone pings and sees if the IMEI matches.

It may be another way to thwart unlockers as well.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm sure they can make a distinction between initial activation and subsequent ones. They just want to get in on the initial one so they can make you sign the dotted line, innit.

I'm confident that @home restores will be possible. Especially considering it's the top troubleshooting step for most iPhone problems.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I'm sure they can make a distinction between initial activation and subsequent ones. They just want to get in on the initial one so they can make you sign the dotted line, innit.

I'm confident that @home restores will be possible. Especially considering it's the top troubleshooting step for most iPhone problems.
I hope you are right.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
With the new iPhone comes a new version of iTunes (v7.7). I wouldn't be surprised to see the activation step from iTunes removed now that the iPhone has to be activated in the physical store. No longer any need for the iPhone 3G.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
It would be like any other phone you buy at AT&T. They open the Box, insert the new SIM, activate it, and have you agree to a 2year contract before you walk out of the door.

Once you get home you would reactivate like you always have.

They are locking you into not being able to upgrade your phone for 17months and a Service Contract of 24months. The Service Contract everbody had to agree to last year, but you where still able to upgrade if you previous upgrade was completed.

I just like to know how long it will take to get through the line.

Last year, some people got back in line and got another phone

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
It would be like any other phone you buy at AT&T. They open the Box, insert the new SIM, activate it, and have you agree to a 2year contract before you walk out of the door.

They are locking you into not being able to upgrade your phone for 17months and a Service Contract of 24months. The Service Contract everbody had to agree to last year, but you where still able to upgrade if you previous upgrade was completed.

I didn't do any of that. I got the phone at the ATT store, took the phone home hooked it up to my Mac and activated it. That simple, no opening the box at the store. And that's all I want to do with this one.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I am assuming that the iPhone will be no different to the Windows Mobile phones that you can buy through AT&T (Tilt etc). You just hard reset the phone and it will take the phone back to out of the box status. I'm sure they will burn a copy of the operating system into the ROM. No need to mess about with iTunes, except for software updates.

That is how AT&T do it now, and I'm sure they will remain to keep it as such.

If we have to have ATT activate the new phone, will we be able to restore with iTunes? It sounds like a simple question, but if we can't restore ourselves, then it makes jailbreaking almost impossible.

Or am I missing something?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD

What about the curtailment in AT&T summer leave? Is it possible that to AT&T could pre-activate the phones, keep them on the shelves until purchased by customers?

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I am assuming that the iPhone will be no different to the Windows Mobile phones that you can buy through AT&T (Tilt etc). You just hard reset the phone and it will take the phone back to out of the box status. I'm sure they will burn a copy of the operating system into the ROM. No need to mess about with iTunes, except for software updates.

That is how AT&T do it now, and I'm sure they will remain to keep it as such.
But that does little for us jailbreakers/unlockers. There are many of us out here that do not want to give up the ability to restore.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
But that does little for us jailbreakers/unlockers. There are many of us out here that do not want to give up the ability to restore.
This move by Apple and AT&T is intended to eliminate jailbreaking/unlockers. As long as you don't upgrade to the new iPhone, restoring shouldn't be an issue.

mlass

Silver
Jun 19, 2007
I didn't do any of that. I got the phone at the ATT store, took the phone home hooked it up to my Mac and activated it. That simple, no opening the box at the store. And that's all I want to do with this one.
I'm talking about any other phone in the store. They installed the SIM and locked it to AT&T. They have you do the initial activation at the store. Keep Resellers from stocking up without having to pay cancellation fees.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
So if all this is true, does that mean that the iPhone could only be used for AT&T? Like, does that mean that it would be impossible to unlock?

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
If you buy any phone from AT&T, you can have it unlocked for any SIM. Every AT&T phone I have owned (including the PDA phones), I have asked for an unlock code from AT&T. I just tell them I travel overseas a lot and don't want to rack up huge roaming charges. They hand the unlock number over quite quickly. Even when I hard reset the phone (like a restore) the unlock still remains.

Maybe the iPhone (the phone part) will be programmed the same way?

But I am sure there will be a sleuth of unlocked 3G iPhones for sale on eBay, craigslist etc (for a huge premium). I'm sure the ZiPhone guy will also develop the same methods that he is using today, for the new 3Gs.

There are loads of unlocked AT&T branded Tilts out there. Someone must have purchased them as legit phones originally.

Don't forget, in some countries (Germany), Apple have to sell unlocked iPhones, it's the law.

So if all this is true, does that mean that the iPhone could only be used for AT&T? Like, does that mean that it would be impossible to unlock?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
If you buy any phone from AT&T, you can have it unlocked for any SIM. Every AT&T phone I have owned (including the PDA phones), I have asked for an unlock code from AT&T. I just tell them I travel overseas a lot and don't want to rack up huge roaming charges. They hand the unlock number over quite quickly. Even when I hard reset the phone (like a restore) the unlock still remains.

Maybe the iPhone (the phone part) will be programmed the same way?

But I am sure there will be a sleuth of unlocked 3G iPhones for sale on eBay, craigslist etc (for a huge premium). I'm sure the ZiPhone guy will also develop the same methods that he is using today, for the new 3Gs.

There are loads of unlocked AT&T branded Tilts out there. Someone must have purchased them as legit phones originally.

Don't forget, in some countries (Germany), Apple have to sell unlocked iPhones, it's the law.
Ohh. I see. Thanks for clarifying.