Retailers shutting down NFC terminals to block ApplePay

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by raqball, Oct 25, 2014.

1. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I came across this is my rss feed and found it interesting..

Wonder how many more will follow suit?

Quote from the article:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/25/7069863/retailers-are-disabling-nfc-readers-to-shut-out-apple-pay

2. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

Weather or not your an apple user this hurts the consumer cause if things get ugly then this whole mobile payment system is gonna be nothing but a useless clutter mess for all of us.

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Why would they attempt to have their own mobile pay system? That doesn't make any since to me. It's like Wendy's. You can pay them using their app but Apple Pay compared to opening Wendy's app etc to pay, well you know which one is easier.

4. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

Add CVS and RiteAid to the list.

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Has CVS stopped Apple Pay for sure yet? I used it yesterday there in the front of the store.

6. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Right now they pay the middle man and with Apple Pay they pay the middle man AND Apple..

The system these companies want to use is not tied to a credit card, it's tied to your checking account... No middle man fees which puts more $$$$$$$$$$ in their account with every single purchase made..

7. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

8. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

That makes total sense but is upseting.

9. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

They the stores want to have there own payment system so that they will get to keep the percentage that would normally go to the payment processor i.e. applepay. most of time when you pay for something using a CC the merchant has to give up a percentage of the sale. hence why i love i bitcoin.

10. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Nobody will use the companies system. Wendy's has it and nobody uses it.

11. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Never say never.. It's not out yet in full force.. I assume it will be a single app (like passbook) that stores your info and you still use tap to pay..

There are some large and powerful companies backing it.

12. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I hope so!!!!!

13. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Corporate focus isn't on consumer desires or convenience, simply the bottom line. They could accept both but they won't. They deserve the scorn of their customers.

Rick
    Pardon my driving, I'm not texting, I'm reloading

14. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Did Apple not see this coming? Lol.

15. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

You could be right. but i have no doubt the credit card and bank companies are or atleast should be afraid of bitcoin. cause it's cumming weather or not the banks and credit card companies wanted it. and there's nothing they can do to stop it. slow it down maybe but not stop it.
    and there's nothing safer than bitcoins they are 100% un-hackable

16. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

This isn't about Apple or MCX/CurrentC. It's about offering or denying consumers choices.

Rick
    Pardon my driving, I'm not texting, I'm reloading

17. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

You're right.

18. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

exactly. Target is listed as a partner of both, but aren't being assholes pushing one over the other.

19. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Either way I don't see Apple Pay going away and I don't see this going away.. Tons of cash has been invested by Apple into Apple Pay and tons of cash has been invested into this other system by the companies pushing it.

Worst case is you have Passbook then right next to it you have this payment app.. Depending on what store you are at, you use the appropriate tap to pay..

#19 raqball, Oct 25, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  20. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Being from a company that provides credit card processing I can tell you that each credit card processor is different. Some charge a flat per/swipe fee (that the business pays in addition to their monthly fees for processing). We offer several different processors and I've heard from my customers that at least one of them has so many hidden charges that they'd never use them again.
    I imagine the same is true with using Apple as your "middle-man" They're gonna take a chunk out of you, in the worst case scenario even cut you out entirely from any profit you could make taking charges through their app. Apple behaves similarly to Microsoft in the fact that they sell their products for a fixed price, leaving little wiggle room for profit to the merchandisers. I wouldn't expect their credit card processing to be much different.
    I do think it's sad that in the end it's the consumers who suffer when greed overcomes common sense and the easiest path is made to be the most difficult.