Retina 2 Display

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm not buying this, but it's today's rumor du jour. A site in China is claiming that the iPhone 5S will have double the amount of pixels, effectively making it a retina 2 display. Call me crazy, but I have no issue with the current display.

Faster processor, more RAM. Those are always things I can get behind. Needless pixel density or megapixels -- that's not going to improve my iPhone experience.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I'm not buying it either. The existing Retina display already has better resolution than our eyes can perceive so it seems very unlikely Apple would R&D a display with twice the pixels. I say horse feathers.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm not buying it either. The existing Retina display already has better resolution than our eyes can perceive so it seems very unlikely Apple would R&D a display with twice the pixels. I say horse feathers.
Not to mention the added cost for little perceived value from consumers. Apple usually leaves that sort of stuff for the other guys.

Maybe they need more pixels for the 5-inch iPhone that psylichon is holding out for....;)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't think it will be double, but the new iPhone might be higher resolution. The new Androids are. The iPhone's Retina screen isn't the highest resolution screen out there anymore. But then again it has a smaller screen.

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
I would hope that the pixel density does get enhanced, but unfortunately don't think it's gonna happen, at least not with this iteration.

I think they could (and should) switch to IGZO technology, which would bring two huge benefits that are arguably more important: a brighter display and lower power consumption. They really need to innovate to stay ahead, and I don't think they can afford to push out an update with few or unimpressive new features. Unfortunately, I'm not very optimistic about this happening with the 5S.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Not only that, but doubling the pixels would leave a big hit in graphics and battery performance. So what's the point if you can't tell there are more pixels?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I would hope that the pixel density does get enhanced, but unfortunately don't think it's gonna happen, at least not with this iteration.

I think they could (and should) switch to IGZO technology, which would bring two huge benefits that are arguably more important: a brighter display and lower power consumption. They really need to innovate to stay ahead, and I don't think they can afford to push out an update with few or unimpressive new features. Unfortunately, I'm not very optimistic about this happening with the 5S.
Hey Rafagon, I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Apple can and probably come out with a lackluster device this year and that will not really impact their market share. Apple has something that Android does not,it's not better features, it's a cult following.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Hey Rafagon, I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Apple can and probably come out with a lackluster device this year and that will not really impact their market share. Apple has something that Android does not,it's not better features, it's a cult following.
But us consumers are a fickle crowd.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Add great customer service and retail stores to that for Apple.

jmp316

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 10, 2008
Which seems to be a negative in the minds of many users of other brands of phones. Go figure.
The fact is that most smartphone users are not "techie" types (again, like my parents). They want a powerful device, which is easy to use. Apple FTW.

Back to the original topic, IMO this is a silly rumor and I doubt Apple needs to increase pixel density to sell more phones. What they probably will do in the future is explore different types of screens that are more energy efficient and brighter. Pixel density may increase as a result, but this won't be the main selling point.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Which seems to be a negative in the minds of many users of other brands of phones. Go figure.
Some Android users think you have to constantly be fiddling with the phone for it to be a good choice. It's funny because with a couple exceptions we can do pretty much everything that can be done on Android as long as we jailbreak...and then we can fiddle with it all day long just like them if we want. You don't have complete control of Android unless you root. iOS isn't any more "simple" than Android, it just has some restrictions you need to be removed. I prefer the stability and fluidity you get from hardware-software integration. Some of the new Android phones still struggle with choppiness even though they have quad-core processors. And you can't beat the customer service Apple provides or get same-day replacements with Android. Also, Android app quality is lower and they don't have iMessages.

Other than the big screens, which I can't stand because you lose one-handed usage, I can't see any reason to go to Android as long as you can jailbreak. There are a lot more downsides to Android, too. For example, you have to use an app for in-app texting and those apps have bad text messaging side effects. Even on the stock texting app, MMS and texts sent by contacts at the same time is disastrous. If you don't send the text and picture separately, the picture will be so blurry they won't even be able to tell what it is. It sends it as a very low-res slideshow. The stock Android music app doesn't even have gapless playback.

Still, despite all this, some say it's nothing more than a cult following and iOS simple, when really it's just restricted. You can do pretty much anything you want when you jailbreak, so it clearly isn't a simple OS. I choose what's best for me and I'm not part of any cult. I've tested Android and I wasn't impressed. The amount of ignorance on Android Central is appalling. I was there the other day and people were saying Apple phones can't be purchased online...and that Apple does this intentionally so they get long lines to make their phone look more important that it really is.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Some of the new Android phones still struggle with choppiness even though they have quad-core processors.

This is generally true, though my HTC One has exhibited absolutely no lag in the five weeks that I've owned it.

And you can't beat the customer service Apple or get same-day replacements with Android.

This is absolutely true.

Other than the big screens, which I can't stand because you lose one-handed usage, I can't see any reason to go to Android as long as you can jailbreak.

If Apple would introduce an iPhone that was permanently jailbroken with a 4.7" screen, I would buy it in a second. I much prefer a jailbroken iPhone over a rooted Android phone.

There are a lot more downsides to Android, too. For example, you have to use an app for in-app texting and those apps have bad text messaging side effects. MMS and texts can't even be sent at the same time or the picture is so blurry you can't tell what it is.

I can't argue with this. Messaging can be a mess. In fact, the most successful messaging app I've found is an iOS Messages clone:

Screenshot_2013-05-29-00-17-14.png

The stock Android music app doesn't even have gapless playback.
This was an issue for me, as I have some albums that have contiguous tracks that need to be played with no break between. After a lot of research and searching, I finally found an app that did the job.

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
Not only that, but doubling the pixels would leave a big hit in graphics and battery performance. So what's the point if you can't tell there are more pixels?
This.

Only crazy people like me can see the pixels. (I can see pixels even on the HTC One)

If they crank up the resolution, they need an equivalent crank in GPU, otherwise it's the same problem the iPad 3 had. Too many pixels, not enough oomph.

The GPU in the HTC One appears to be slightly more powerful, but the games on iPhone still have a better visual appearance, because at 1136x640 you have more breathing room to add details and such. The extra horsepower is spent filling up the extra pixels.

The other problem is if it's 2272x1280, rendering "classic" retina apps results in more visible pixels because although the individual pixels are indeed smaller, the light is spread out across a wider area

: : vs. •

Similar to how old apps looked a bit worse on the 4 compared to the 3GS until they were made to render natively

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
The other problem is if it's 2272x1280, rendering "classic" retina apps results in more visible pixels because although the individual pixels are indeed smaller, the light is spread out across a wider area.
2272x1280 would be 4x the amount of pixels, not double. But your point stands anyway.