Retina mini - First Impressions

Discussion in 'iPad mini with retina display' started by |3are, Nov 16, 2013.

1. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

I just checked the Retina mini out at the Apple Store. Having looked at an iPad 3 and now my Air for a few years, I think the Retina mini screen still looks much worse than the full sized iPad.

I know it doesn't make sense. I know that the mini now has more ppi - the same resolution on a smaller screen - but it looks worse. I can see so many pixels when looking at text, even on the names of apps on the home screen. It's glaringly obvious when I pull up a news website with lots of text. It was so bad that I had to flip the mini over to see the space grey back because I thought I had picked up an original mini.

Just wondering if anyone else has been able to compare these, or if reviews on the internet have mentioned this. Maybe it's something that will improve down the line as Apple has now reached out to other screen suppliers.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I don't notice pixels, at all. Then again, I'm getting old, so there's that. :D

Here's a photo of retina vs non-retina iPad mini.

retina-vs-non-retina.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I've been nothing but pleased with my rMini's display. I can't see any pixels at all.

Sent from my iPad using

#3 iErik, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I just upgraded from a 1st generation iPad mini to the rMini and the screen looks great to me! It looks just as clear as the iPad 3 I used to have.

5. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

Thanks for the reassurance everyone LOL. My iPad Mini Retina is on the FedEx truck and I should have it today.

6. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

My iPad rMini just arrived. I'm setting it up now. The screen looks gorgeous. This is my very first tablet of any kind. After waiting over 3 years I finally have an iPad. :)

7. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

Congrats on your first iPad! I think you're really going to like the size and portability of this thing. And the screen is gorgeous! I have no regrets on my purchase whatsoever. Enjoy!

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Cool! I'm really liking mine as well. Which one did you get?

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

And to your credit, I haven't become an "iPad widower."

10. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

I got the white/silver (I always go with black color but this time I wanted to try something different), 32 GB Cellular model. I love Sky Guide on this. Beautiful! For me this is the perfect size, and no problems typing on it. I don't see any 'gamut color' problems people mention. And yes, my goldfish are iPad widowers LOL.I just hope I don't forget to feed them. :eek:

11. scoughlin11

scoughlin11 New Member

The iPad Mini 1st gen now $299.00 comes in space gray as well so it sounds like you were looking at one of those and not a retina one. I have the retina mini and the display is just like the iPhone retina. No pixels unless you bring it an inch from your eye.

Sent using iCafe app

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Is anything even in focus an inch from your eye?

13. JWiPhone

JWiPhone Genius
    Gold

All set up and my free T-Mobile 200 MB works great with the SIM. I know I'm kinda late to the party, but I did notice I can't charge with the USB cable via computer like I can with the iPhone.. Not enough power to charge the larger device. Reading books on this thing is fantastic after coming from the small screen of an iPhone. So far no issues at all.

CORRECTION: Actually it does charge with the USB connected to the computer, although very slowly. However, the battery icon at the top says 'Not Charging'.

#13 JWiPhone, Nov 18, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  14. scoughlin11

scoughlin11 New Member

My bad, I just measured 3 inches. It was hard to judge "by eye" with it that close.

Sent using iCafe app

15. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

I am finding the text size in portrait mode to be very small on many website with safari. I tried to use larger text in setting but safari does not seem to support dynamic text size

Any tricks to get the text to change size in settings

16. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I'm surprised Safari doesn't have the option to enlarge text. It would be a nice option to have. The good new is other browsers, like Mercury, that are available for free from the App Store do. Hope that helps.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Double tapping on the screen will increase the font size. Double tapping again reduces it back to standard size. There is also the zoom feature in accessibility, but the first method is better since it doesn't increase the size of everything on the phone, it just increase the text.

18. nealh

nealh Contributor
    Silver

Thanks iErik. I have mercury browser and will try

Europa, I had no idea double tap did that. Thanks

19. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

When I double tap the screen it does a quick zoom and centered at the tsp point so the size of everything increase not just text.

Sent from my iPhone using

#19 Docd, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's how it's supposed to work. Now turn zoom on in accessibility and compare it to what you just did and you'll understand what I mean. Even the icon size is increased with zoom to the point that you can't see your entire springboard page.