retrieve WiFi password? delete home network?

Jan 20, 2008
I recently installed a wireless router with my home PC. I immediately went online with my new iPod Touch after typing what I intended to be my password. When I enter my password now, my home wifi network doesn't recognize it. I have tremor in my hands, so probably hit those sensitive keys more than once, or keys that I did not intend.

Can I retrieve the actual password I first entered? Can I delete the data for setting up that wifi network? Can I delete that network entirely?

My iPod Touch wifi otherwise works perfectly in hot spots in my city.

I restored my Touch, and reinstalled my new router. Any suggestions?

dazza

Sep 19, 2007
Just go to settings/wifi/click the blue arrow next to your network then click on 'forget this network'

This should delete any password you previously entered, then just go through the connection process again with the correct password.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I recently installed a wireless router with my home PC. I immediately went online with my new iPod Touch after typing what I intended to be my password. When I enter my password now, my home wifi network doesn't recognize it. I have tremor in my hands, so probably hit those sensitive keys more than once, or keys that I did not intend.

Can I retrieve the actual password I first entered? Can I delete the data for setting up that wifi network? Can I delete that network entirely?

My iPod Touch wifi otherwise works perfectly in hot spots in my city.

I restored my Touch, and reinstalled my new router. Any suggestions?

A friend of mine has tremor also, so I put the info in for him, so have a friend help you.:)

Jan 20, 2008
Can't 'forget this network'

Just go to settings/wifi/click the blue arrow next to your network then click on 'forget this network'

This should delete any password you previously entered, then just go through the connection process again with the correct password.
Thanks, Dazza. However, when I check the blue arrow following the network I want to forget, the choice of 'forget this network does not appear. What I do get is a screen with three headings:

DHCP, BootP, and Static
IP address
Subnet Mask
Router
DNS
Search Domains
Client Domains

Across the bottom of this screen is:
HTTP Proxy
OFF, Manual, Auto

Now what do you suggest?

Thank you!

dazza

Sep 19, 2007
Oops, my mistake, you'll only get the option if you have already connected to that particular network.

What happens if you click on your network (not the blue arrow) but directly on the network name (if you see what i mean)
If your network is secure then you should be asked for a password which is in fact the 'WEP' code that was created/generated when you secured your network.

Let us know how you get on matey.

Jan 20, 2008
retrieve home network password

Oops, my mistake, you'll only get the option if you have already connected to that particular network.

What happens if you click on your network (not the blue arrow) but directly on the network name (if you see what i mean)
If your network is secure then you should be asked for a password which is in fact the 'WEP' code that was created/generated when you secured your network.

Let us know how you get on matey.
Dazza, thanks again. However, I typed in my WEP encription key and the network won't accept that as my password either.
When I click on the name of my home network, a password is requested, and for the life of me I cannot come up with it.

Any other alternatives?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Dazza, thanks again. However, I typed in my WEP encription key and the network won't accept that as my password either.
When I click on the name of my home network, a password is requested, and for the life of me I cannot come up with it.

Any other alternatives?
Try resetting the network password. Means you'll have to enter the new one on your PCs as well, but is often a quick fix when password is not being accepted on the iPhone / Touch - and it's a very quick Yes or No for success ...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch

Any other alternatives?
Forget the WEP stuff, it's not needed since 1.1.1, just use your passPhrase now.
Do you mean you do not recollect your password?

On your computer connect to your router, and change the passPhrase.

Then try setting that passPhrase in the iPhone.

Jan 20, 2008
Forget the WEP stuff, it's not needed since 1.1.1, just use your passPhrase now.
Do you mean you do not recollect your password?

On your computer connect to your router, and change the passPhrase.

Then try setting that passPhrase in the iPhone.
I remember well my password, but when I type it in for login I get the message 'incorrect password.' When I set up my home network I must have mis-typed the password due to my tremor, e.g., nnnt ccyu ii, inadventent spaces and duplicate letters.

dazza

Sep 19, 2007
As Patrick suggested the best way is to start again, reset your router, and reconfigure everything, unless you guess your password you'll be ages..

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I remember well my password, but when I type it in for login I get the message 'incorrect password.' When I set up my home network I must have mis-typed the password due to my tremor, e.g., nnnt ccyu ii, inadventent spaces and duplicate letters.
Thats it, go into the login for the router, and change it, use the hand that does not tremor, then do the same for the iPhone, set the phone on a table and use the non-tremor hand. Make the password simple, few letters as possible.

Jan 20, 2008
Thats it, go into the login for the router, and change it, use the hand that does not tremor, then do the same for the iPhone, set the phone on a table and use the non-tremor hand. Make the password simple, few letters as possible.
I disconnected and removed the new router (Linksys WTR54) from my PC, then reinstalled it. I entered a new, shorter password but the router would not accept it, so I used the same password as originally. When I attempted to go online via Safari, again the single network attached to the router came up with the same name and required a password. Again I entered the password and ...'incorrect password.'

Without removing the router from the PC I ran the installation CD again. In the process it asked for a password, I entered the original with much care so I know it was entered correctly, and ...same response.

I don't know of another way to reinstall the router with a different password to set up a new network.

I've tried to phone Apple for my 'one free call w/i 90 days of purchase', but getting them on the line has not been successful.

I'm about ready to toss this ____ed iPod Touch.

I'm dumbfounded...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Okay we now know it is the Router problem. Get your disk out and setup a new router, don't use the other name or pass, make it something different, it will work now. You don't need to call anyone.

I disconnected and removed the new router (Linksys WTR54) from my PC, then reinstalled it. I entered a new, shorter password but the router would not accept it, so I used the same password as originally. When I attempted to go online via Safari, again the single network attached to the router came up with the same name and required a password. Again I entered the password and ...'incorrect password.'

Without removing the router from the PC I ran the installation CD again. In the process it asked for a password, I entered the original with much care so I know it was entered correctly, and ...same response.

I don't know of another way to reinstall the router with a different password to set up a new network.

I've tried to phone Apple for my 'one free call w/i 90 days of purchase', but getting them on the line has not been successful.

I'm dumbfounded...

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com

I'm dumbfounded...
I might be reading your post wrong, but you may have some confusion over which password is needed. If you set a *login* password for your router when you install it (so you have username admin and then a password to get into the router) that one will NOT ever need to be entered on the Touch. Once you are in your router, go to the Wireless Security (or similar) section, and setup WEP, WPA, whatever your preference is, and set a passphrase there. *That* will be the passphrase that needs to be entered when prompted on the Touch.
If I misunderstood you, apologies ...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
No NO, that is not it. It is the Router, because the router is giving the incorrect password as well, I just told him to setup the router again to fix it.

I might be reading your post wrong, but you may have some confusion over which password is needed. If you set a *login* password for your router when you install it (so you have username admin and then a password to get into the router) that one will NOT ever need to be entered on the Touch. Once you are in your router, go to the Wireless Security (or similar) section, and setup WEP, WPA, whatever your preference is, and set a passphrase there. *That* will be the passphrase that needs to be entered when prompted on the Touch.
If I misunderstood you, apologies ...

Jan 20, 2008
Okay we now know it is the Router problem. Get your disk out and setup a new router, don't use the other name or pass, make it something different, it will work now. You don't need to call anyone.
Thanks much to dazza, patrick and KNK for some GOOD advice. I have now completely cleaned my router of the 'old' network for which I screwed up entering the original password and reset it with a new name and password. Wow, am I delighted to be online again with my new iPod Touch.

You guys are the RIGHT STUFF!

And thanks to others who posted info, that when I read yours, I knew I had found the right path and I was on target.This forum is second to none for me and other iPod products.