Retrieving Office Voice Mail Messages

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Can someone explain to me why when I call my office phone to retrieve my voice mail messages, the ID and password works fine when using the iPhone earpiece, but will not work when using my Apple Bluetooth device nor does it go through when listening through the iPhone speaker phone. I’m aware that pauses need to be inserted before the ID and Password and they have been, thereforee allowing it to work through the regular earpiece, but not the Bluetooth nor the speaker phone. Please help because I can’t figure this out. Thanks in advance. Cheers !

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
There should not be any difference between the 4 different ways of hearing a call (Ear piece, BT headset, stereo Apple headset, and speaker phone.)
The only difference that could be even slightly change anything is the delay caused by using the ear piece, due to you listening, then looking at the phone and hitting the appropriate keys, then listening again and then looking and hitting the appropriate keys.
With Speaker phone or a headset, there would be almost no delay since you don't have to wait to use the keypad.
Is it possible that you are jumping the gun a little when trying any other method other than "standard"?

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
There should not be any difference between the 4 different ways of hearing a call (Ear piece, BT headset, stereo Apple headset, and speaker phone.)
The only difference that could be even slightly change anything is the delay caused by using the ear piece, due to you listening, then looking at the phone and hitting the appropriate keys, then listening again and then looking and hitting the appropriate keys.
With Speaker phone or a headset, there would be almost no delay since you don't have to wait to use the keypad.
Is it possible that you are jumping the gun a little when trying any other method other than "standard"?
Actually, I'm not even using the keypad. Once I call the number for my messages, it automatically starts the string of pauses and numbers to retrieve the messages. That's why I don't understand why the sequence is not identical whether it's the earpiece, speaker phone, or Apple Bluetooth device. In other words, when I call my voice mail, the automated voice asks for my extension, which after the pause it enters the 4 digit number, then the automated voice asks for the password, it's entered and I receive my messages when using the earpiece. With the Bluetooth and speaker phone after the extension is entered, it says the extension is invalid or something like that. I don't understand what could be wrong. Thanks for the help.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Out of morbid curiosity, try with the BT headset, but place the phone on Mute as soon as it connects. see if it goes through, if it does, then there must be some sort of mic boost that is picking up ambient noise around you enough to interrupt your auto sequence

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Out of morbid curiosity, try with the BT headset, but place the phone on Mute as soon as it connects. see if it goes through, if it does, then there must be some sort of mic boost that is picking up ambient noise around you enough to interrupt your auto sequence

Thanks. I'll try that.

skyote

Oct 6, 2007
I've had this problem also. I believe that when using speaker phone (I don't have Bluetooth) the tones are picked up by the mic, which causes an echo effect that the voicemail doesn't recognize.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Glad to Hear it! That was the only other thing I could think of that could possibly interfer with the tones..