Retro Gaming on Mac OS X via software emulation of old gaming platforms

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Since yesterday, I was in the mood to play a game which is an old favorite of mine, namely, Alternate Reality. Alternate Reality was released in 1985. It was released for several platforms: Atari 8-bit family, Commodore 64, Apple II, Mac OS, Atari ST, Amiga, MS-DOS, and--I have just now learned--on iOS(!). Alternate Reality pushed the envelope of what could be accomplished on Atari 8-bit machines. In fact, Alternate Reality loaded a custom OS onto the Atari, bypassing the standard Atari DOS altogether, and squeezing some of the most impressive graphics out of the Atari 8-bit machines.

(1)

150225-alternate-reality-the-city-atari-8-bit-screenshot-determining.png

(2)

I had previously gotten this game to work via software emulation on older versions of OS X, but, to the best of my recollection, never on OS X 10.8. After a bit of effort, I got Alternate Reality to run (with some guidance from a guy in Germany who helped me out on an Atari forum), so I got inspired to play some older retro games. By the way, watching these older games play on OS X and having them look and sound exactly as they did way back in the day is simply awe-inspiring. For anyone who was a fan of these games back in the day, I guarantee that playing these games on modern-day hardware will transport you back to those good-old days instantly!

Soon thereafter, I got Galaxian to run. I posted a screenshot on the "Let's Post Some Fun Stuff Here" forum.

It's amazing how much programmars could accomplish with only 8 KB of code back in the day--this is the size of the Galaxian executable file. As you can easily deduce from this 8 KB figure, this is not a modern-day version of Galaxian with modern-day graphics running natively on OS X. This is OS X emulating the old hardware to a T and thereforee running the original, unmodified game code from the games of yesteryear.

Galaga was my next project, as was suggsted by @Kadelic, and I eventually got it to run perfectly. It is running on an NES emulator. I could not get the Atari 7800 port of the game to run due to significant issues getting the 7800 emulator to work on OS X.

My next project will be getting Bubble Bobble to work, a game that was brought to my attention by @Napoleon PhoneApart earlier today.

If there are any other games you guys are interested in playing on your OS X-running machine, let me know, and I will dig up the steps to get them working. Once these initial steps are figured out, it is super easy to duplicate, and I will happy to provide step-by-step directions.

I've already got the emulation of the Atari 8-bit, NES, and SNES platforms figured out, so retro games available for those platforms will be a piece of cake to get running. I did also research the legality of downloading and running these retro games from the 'net. I learned that it is not legal to download a game that you did not own at least once in your life. If you owned it previously, then you are entitled to download it again.

I realize that OS X can emulate a modern-day operating system in full, like Windows, and even run it side-by-side with OS X, but I'm so much more impressed by the fact that some talented programmars can make OS X emulate entire hardware platforms from the 80s (including the hardware's sound chips, graphics chips, and even peripherals like disk drives and tape drives) in software alone. Kudos to these programmars!

#1 Rafagon, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  2. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Unfortunately for this application, I use a PC.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It is just as easy to do on the PC, from what I gathered as I secured the OS X instructions. In fact, in some cases, it may be easier.

In fact, in almost all the cases, they listed the steps for Windows first, and for OS X later, for obvious reasons.

I will be happy to get the steps for getting "Bubble Bobble" to work on the PC and do a write-up for you with step-by-step instructions. Incidentally, may I assume you're on Windows 7?

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Retro Gaming via Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator app demonstrated on Fourth-Generation Apple TV

This isn't likely to be something Apple would approve of, so don't expect to find it in the App Store. It's nice knowing it's possible, though. (A jailbreak could allow this?)

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You'd be surprised at what a jailbroken iPhone can do.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Perhaps even… animate the fish properly? :D

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Oh yeah. I had live wallpapers (that actually worked when I pressed the home button) on my lock screen on my iPhone 3GS back in 2009.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List