Return to Mysterious Island 300 MB Game

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Impressive... Is there a limit on the size of an app?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This game better freakin' rock.

sdge

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
Looks cool, but doesn't seem like a lot of fun.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Looks cool, but doesn't seem like a lot of fun.
Yeah, it may not be everyone's idea of a great game. Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to gaming whether it be action filled, like sports, car racing, or role playing. Others, prefer board games, and puzzles. For myself, I like variety such as Hero of Sparta, Field Runners, and then Zen Bound. I prefer strategy with different levels, and excellent graphics. I can see buying this providing it isn't too expensive.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I guess this isn't the biggest game at 300 MB. I see where Myst was just released for the iPhone and it is 727 MB in size.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I got Myst and it's okay. Never played Myst before. At least it was only $5.99. I suspect Myst is huge just because it is a huge game. The graphics aren't terribly impressive.

Mysterious Island seems to have a smoother, seamless 3D environment but the graphics aren't terribly impressive either. I'm not sure I'll get this one. If it's more than Myst then it's a no-go.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Myst was pretty awesome when it came out, but that was a LONG time ago. I'll bet it translates well to the iPhone, although I'm not sure why it's over 700MB because even at it's original resolution (which was higher than the iPhone's), it fit on one CD:

patrick_83

Bronze
Oct 11, 2007
Illinois
There was also a game called Myst that was released much later than windowws 3.1.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Remember the "MPC" spec?

Actually, no, I wouldn't imagine most here would.

panzeriti

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
MYST... I remember the first time i played it.

Looked cool and then 5 minutes later I was all... where's my gun and or fireballs! Then I passed out hardcore and drooled all over my 10 pound 1994 keyboard, destroyed it and got an a*s beating!

kwei

May 6, 2009
Well,well,well, I like it very much long long long ago ,haha .

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, it was a specification for minimum PC performance for gaming and other multimedia software. Here's Level 3 of the spec (pretty hardcore stuff):

[from http://support.gateway.com/s/SOUND/U00647/U0064725.shtml

Multimedia PC Level 3 Spec
Part number 6000647
Note: For Level 1 and 2 MPC specifications, see Microsoft Technet, query number Q106055.
(Release 1.3)
The MPC specifications are the result of industry-wide discussion and debate. This consensus makes the
MPC specification valuable in helping create a growing installed base of standardized multimedia computers, and in turn, creates a strong incentive for Multimedia PC software investment and development. The MPC specifications also serve as a guide to consumers purchasing Multimedia PCs, upgrade kits and components. MPC3 does not replace the MPC1 and MPC2 specification; rather, it defines an updated platform suitable for delivering enhanced multimedia functionality.
Processor
The CPU must pass the MPC Test Suite. The MPC Test Suite is benchmarked on a 75 MHz Pentium® processor system with hardware assisted MPEG1capability and only level one cache, as well as on a 100 MHz Pentium[R] processor system with 256KB second level cache and software MPEG. This specification is not intended to exclude other microprocessor brands or architectures from compliance as long as they pass the MPC Test Suite.
RAM
8 MB required
System test criteria
100 MB/sec peak memory read and write bandwidth.
Floppy Drive
3 ½ inch, 1.44 MB floppy disk
Inclusion of floppy disks in laptops is optional.
Hard Drive
540 MB minimum unformatted capacity.
At least 500 MB usable capacity, excluding sections reserved for diagnostics and other overhead.
Hard Drive Performance Test Criteria
No more than 40% CPU utilization for a 1.5 MB/second sustained transfer rate under Windows 3.11 or DOS and no more than 7% CPU utilization for a 1.5 MB/second sustained transfer rate under Windows 95, OS/2, and Windows NT.
Interface transfer rate greater than or equal to 9 MB/sec.
Media data rate greater than or equal to 3 MB/sec.
Mean service time of less than 5 ms for random writes with interarrival delay of 20 ms.
Average access time must be less than or equal to 20.2 ms.
Interface overhead less than or equal to 700 sec.
Average total latency (rotation + servo + retry) ( 7.5 ms which implies > 4000 RPM.)
Average seek less than or equal to 12 ms computed from random I/Os exercising the entire disk.
Less than or equal to 10% of random I/Os will have a service time greater than 25 ms and less than or equal to 1.0% greater than 30 ms.
CD-ROM Drive
Data must be transferred to the host system in block sizes of 2048, 2336 and/or 2352 bytes, as appropriate for each CD format. The data need not include the compact Disc Audio (Red Book) data.
Background CPU utilization: The driver must not use CPU cycles except in response to a host system request. This does not apply to autoplay in Windows 95.
CD Formats
Must be capable of reading Compact Disc Audio (Red Book) discs, as well as Compact Disc Mode 1 and Mode 2 (form 1 and form 2) formatted discs, including mixed mode and multisession media as well as CD-ROM, CD-ROM XA, Photo CD, CD Recordable (part II), Video CD, Enhanced Music CD (CD Extra) and CD-i discs. In addition, the drive and included driver software must be compatible with Microsoft's MSCDEX version 2.2 or later (or equivalent), implement the extended audio APIs and be capable of reading Q channel information.
CD-ROM drive with CD-DA (Red Book) outputs and volume control.
CD-ROM drive must have on-board buffers and implement read-ahead buffering.
CD Performance Test Criteria
Cache service greater than or equal to 1.5 MB per sec.
Less than or equal to 10% of random I/Os have a service time greater than 500 ms and less than or equal to 1.0% greater than 1000 ms.
No more than 40% CPU utilization for a sustained 550 KB/sec transfer rate under Windows 3.11 or DOS and no more than 7% CPU utilization for a sustained 550 KB/sec transfer rate under Windows 95, OS/2, and Windows NT.
The CPU usage requirement should be achieved for read block sizes no less than 16 KB and a lead time of no more than is required to load the CD-ROM buffer with 1 read block of data.
Sequential access time: An application via the standard operating system access methods must have the ability to read sequential, error free, 16K blocks every 33.3 ms with 99.5% of the reads taking no more than 13.3 ms.
Desktop
Sustained sequential transfer rate of 550 KB/sec.
Average service access time of less than or equal to 250 ms (in 4x mode) computed from single sector random reads I/Os exercising the entire 60 minute disc.

[blah blah blah]
The information in this document was provided by the Software & Information Industry Association.