returning iPhone to activation status for resale?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

addertay

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
I have one of the 8gb iPhones and im considering selling it.

I never used the phone side of it but used the DVD john method to use it for just audio/video

now im going to go ahead and get the touch but i wanted to be sure if i restore the phone will someone else be able to activate it and use it with AT-T .

I wouldn't want to try and sell it if the phone is going to be useless to someone else.

Many thanks.

Adam

sjwskm

Oct 11, 2007
Yes - all is good

If you do a restore (of 1.0.2 anyway) then the iPhone will need to be activated.
If the person has an AT&T (or ciongular) account and a SIM card from AT&T then all will be good. It will ask SSN Name phone number and determine whether the iPhone is okay to use - WILL extend contract for a 2 Year sign up and add Data Plan as if they were in a store.

I did hear (don't quote me) that if a bad SSN (last 4 digits) is input and input repeatedly then the activation gives up in logging the account but because an AT&T sim card is used it will activate the iPhone (but maybe not extend the account etc...)

St

K

knightwolf

PLR book

This is a wonderful opinion. The things mentioned are unanimous and
needs to be appreciated by everyone.
--------

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
I have one of the 8gb iPhones and im considering selling it.

I never used the phone side of it but used the DVD john method to use it for just audio/video

now im going to go ahead and get the touch but i wanted to be sure if i restore the phone will someone else be able to activate it and use it with AT-T .

I wouldn't want to try and sell it if the phone is going to be useless to someone else.

Many thanks.

Adam
You can go ahead and restore it is cool. If the person has an active AT&T sim and have current service they can just insert their sim card and voilà they'll have service simple as that.

Mthoroughbred

Zealot
Silver
Dec 16, 2008
If you do a restore (of 1.0.2 anyway) then the iPhone will need to be activated.
If the person has an AT&T (or ciongular) account and a SIM card from AT&T then all will be good. It will ask SSN Name phone number and determine whether the iPhone is okay to use - WILL extend contract for a 2 Year sign up and add Data Plan as if they were in a store.

I did hear (don't quote me) that if a bad SSN (last 4 digits) is input and input repeatedly then the activation gives up in logging the account but because an AT&T sim card is used it will activate the iPhone (but maybe not extend the account etc...)

St
If they didn't buy the phone from AT&T they don't have to sign up to a 2 year contract they will continue their contract the way it is the only thing that'll change is the data plan. You only get locked in to a 2 year contract if you buy a subsidize phone from AT&T.