Returning my 3GS, can I easily get my jailbroken iPhone back?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Ok, so I have a fair amount of dust under my screen so I want to exchange it for a new one. Problem is I have a ton of mods on here. I can restore the phone in order to return it, no problem. But is there any way to easily get the new one back to how my current one is now without having to redo all the mods?

Like maybe just copy all the folders to my desktop, get the new one, reJB it, then copy the folders back?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Here's what i would suggest doing. Install Aptbackup from Cydia. Hit back up in the app. It will back up everything you downloaded. But i would copy the themes you modified to a safe place. Sync your phone so that list will be stored in the sync (Make sure that you do this once).

Restore your phone. Set it up as a new phone so when you exchange it there's no traces of it being jailbroken.

When you get your new phone, restore your backup and jailbreak it again. Go back into Cydia and install Aptbackup again. This time run restore and it will put everything you downloaded back onto your phone. (It'll take a few mins to do it) Once it's done it will reboot itself and you're good to go.

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL
Sync your phone so that list will be stored in the sync (Make sure that you do this once).
Thanks cliffeman, I knew you would come through. One question about your comment above... I installed Aptbackup and clicked Backup and it literally took 2 seconds. I then ran a backup in iTunes and done...

So to your comment above, how do I know the list was included in my iTunes backup? I didn't see any options for including the list or the info in the list.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Thanks cliffeman, I knew you would come through. One question about your comment above... I installed Aptbackup and clicked Backup and it literally took 2 seconds. I then ran a backup in iTunes and done...

So to your comment above, how do I know the list was included in my iTunes backup? I didn't see any options for including the list or the info in the list.
It generates a list of the apps and stores it with your back up when you sync your phone. You won't, but trust me it's there. I've used this since i found out about. It's worked everytime.