Returning My iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

hunt577

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Well, as sad as I am about doing it, I believe its best. The iPhone is an amazing phone, and revolutionary, although not as revolutionary as the hype has made it out to be. I can't help but feel that this device is, well, incomplete. I feel sort of like a beta tester. I liked the idea at first even when I encountered the bugs, but now, I'd care not to be a beta tester after spending over $600. I do feel like this is the phone of the future with fixes and future enhancements. Why I am returning it? The fear of getting stuck in a 2 year contract with a buggy device. Let's face it, the Apple fix is going to be way past the 14 days we have to switch out the device, and even then, there are no guarantees. There are also no guarantees in life, I know. However, for $600, I do expect some guarantees. The whole Apple warranty is still kind of up in the air at the moment. I just don't want to get sucked in. I'm happy for the folks who are happy with there devices. Maybe I'm just too picky? Maybe I just expect a flawless device? I'm a very picky consumer, and in my opinion, I don't think that the iPhone was ready. For those of you who happened to get devices with no flaws, congrats.

Here are a couple of other things that went into my decision:

1. The iPod is great, but still not better than the 30 and 80 gig iPods. I say this because they hold more space and they are a lot more easily manageable. I can drag and drop songs off of my 30 Gig iPod very easily. I don't have to do the whole sync thing. It's very easy. With the iPhone, you have to resync. I thought this was taking several steps back with the actual iPod functionality of the device. I will say that the actual way the iPod is set up in the iPhone is the best yet. The cover flow is simply amazing, and this was definitely and upgrade from the other iPods.

2. Playing music in your car is simply not convienient. I understand that you can purchase the headphone adapter and that will work with your FM Tuner or Tape Player adapter. However, I find this as just a way to nickel and dime people. I don't blame nor commend Apple for this, I just think it makes it a bit inconvienient and just another attachment to your iPhone that wasn't necessary. If you don't have this headphone adapter, you have to carry around the docking station in the car with you, which is very inconvienient.

3. YouTube. I realize this was a last minute addition, but in my opinion, they should have just left it out until they had a completed version to add in. I was disappointed to type in a music artist who has well over 200 videos on Youtube.com, yet on the iPhone's version it came up with 0 results. It was nice of Apple to include this last minute, but not have the full version is a bummer. I realize the full version is coming, but by the time the iPhone may be down in price. That would suck for people to be paying less than we have paid to get a full version of something we only got limited access to on release now wouldn't it?

Well, there you have it really. I still think the iPhone is revolutionary, but not as revolutionary as I suspected in the beginning. Ultimately, I think the hype made it more revolutionary than it really was. The navigation is the best of any phone. The display is the best of any phone. However, I think if you took away the ease of navigation, everyone would think the 8525 is better. I've said it from the beginning, the iPhone's biggest selling point is its ease of use. I found it to be the easiest navigating device of any I've ever used.

daviddogma

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Well, as sad as I am about doing it, I believe its best. The iPhone is an amazing phone, and revolutionary, although not as revolutionary as the hype has made it out to be. I can't help but feel that this device is, well, incomplete. I feel sort of like a beta tester. I liked the idea at first even when I encountered the bugs, but now, I'd care not to be a beta tester after spending over $600. I do feel like this is the phone of the future with fixes and future enhancements. Why I am returning it? The fear of getting stuck in a 2 year contract with a buggy device. Let's face it, the Apple fix is going to be way past the 14 days we have to switch out the device, and even then, there are no guarantees. There are also no guarantees in life, I know. However, for $600, I do expect some guarantees. The whole Apple warranty is still kind of up in the air at the moment. I just don't want to get sucked in. I'm happy for the folks who are happy with there devices. Maybe I'm just too picky? Maybe I just expect a flawless device? I'm a very picky consumer, and in my opinion, I don't think that the iPhone was ready. For those of you who happened to get devices with no flaws, congrats.

Here are a couple of other things that went into my decision:

1. The iPod is great, but still not better than the 30 and 80 gig iPods. I say this because they hold more space and they are a lot more easily manageable. I can drag and drop songs off of my 30 Gig iPod very easily. I don't have to do the whole sync thing. It's very easy. With the iPhone, you have to resync. I thought this was taking several steps back with the actual iPod functionality of the device. I will say that the actual way the iPod is set up in the iPhone is the best yet. The cover flow is simply amazing, and this was definitely and upgrade from the other iPods.

2. Playing music in your car is simply not convienient. I understand that you can purchase the headphone adapter and that will work with your FM Tuner or Tape Player adapter. However, I find this as just a way to nickel and dime people. I don't blame nor commend Apple for this, I just think it makes it a bit inconvienient and just another attachment to your iPhone that wasn't necessary. If you don't have this headphone adapter, you have to carry around the docking station in the car with you, which is very inconvienient.

3. YouTube. I realize this was a last minute addition, but in my opinion, they should have just left it out until they had a completed version to add in. I was disappointed to type in a music artist who has well over 200 videos on Youtube.com, yet on the iPhone's version it came up with 0 results. It was nice of Apple to include this last minute, but not have the full version is a bummer. I realize the full version is coming, but by the time the iPhone may be down in price. That would suck for people to be paying less than we have paid to get a full version of something we only got limited access to on release now wouldn't it?

Well, there you have it really. I still think the iPhone is revolutionary, but not as revolutionary as I suspected in the beginning. Ultimately, I think the hype made it more revolutionary than it really was. The navigation is the best of any phone. The display is the best of any phone. However, I think if you took away the ease of navigation, everyone would think the 8525 is better. I've said it from the beginning, the iPhone's biggest selling point is its ease of use. I found it to be the easiest navigating device of any I've ever used.
revolutionary = markedly new or introducing radical change

I for one will keep the phone. Sure $600 is a bit steep, but I'd just spend it at the at the bar and then wouldn't have a phone to call for a cab. It's really more of a toy for me. If you like gadgets and I do this is the ultimate. Even with the depressing little speaker phone....

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
revolutionary = markedly new or introducing radical change

I for one will keep the phone. Sure $600 is a bit steep, but I'd just spend it at the at the bar and then wouldn't have a phone to call for a cab. It's really more of a toy for me. If you like gadgets and I do this is the ultimate. Even with the depressing little speaker phone....
I agree. I am only 15 and along with any other guy my age I absolutely LOVE technology! And because I am an only child and am very spoiled I got this free for my birthday which was only a week before iday so that was very convenient.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
It's funny how people get offended when someone is returning the iPhone :)

It's not all things to all people. I love the device, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it myself. Some of the shortcomings are, in fact, disappointing given the price. For example, email handling is rather basic compared to today's other smart phones. Another is no task list.

UI, web browser and iPod are phenomenal, though.

Each person will weigh the good and the bad for their particular needs/tastes and decide whether or not the iPhone is for them. No one should get offended that someone does not agree with them about keeping the iPhone.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
nobody is getting offended the phone is revolutionary in many ways , yes it has some shortcomings in some aspects but it is so far ahead in others it balances out price wise..what's real funny is how many people bought it that really couldn't afford it so they ***** about any short comings to justify returning it to get their rent money back..( this is not directed at the original poster) just speaking in general reminds me of people buying a corvette or viper and then complaining about the cup holder and how much better they are in their Evo or camaro

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I didn't see anyone being offended. I think you can drag songs to the iPhone like you do with an iPod. Car problem is because you need a different cable or adapter? I didn't get that one. Youtube is far from a determining factor for me. This is a new product with tremendous upside. With some software and firmware updates it will only get better. I can't wait.

Fred87nc

Bronze
Jun 19, 2007
I never had a smart phone, I never had a mp3 phone, I never used the internet on my rzr. I never got my iPod hooked up to my car for lack of aux input and casette player.and I never owned a bluetooth headset.Don't own a digital camera lol. I really don't have much to compare this phone to. I got it because it is something I will use everyday, and i'm finding soo many uses to it, be it to get directions,(never had a gps), surf the net, check my email.weather, and really intertain my self while i'm at work. I got the dock hooked up to my stereo in my room, so Its great to just get home and dock it and start playing tunes. I love the stereo headset, Listening to music then switching to answering a call. I love my iPhone. Those 600 dollars were gonna go one way or the other, and if I hadn't bought it I would of just wanted one and tortured my self. Now the one thing I do want to be added is Flash. THen it would be complete for me. right now I'm testing out orb, so I can stream media from my computer, and thinking of getting a tv turner for my laptop so I can stream tv. If it works, that would be the first time in my life i ever watch tv on a cell phone. I'm just gettin started with the iPhone and it sucks you gave up on it already. well don't let the door hit you on the way out :cool:

hunt577

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
"Don't let the door hit you on the way out." This is such an overused expression. I haven't fully decided on this yet. I may keep it. It sure is easy to navigate compared to anything else and I am getting so used to this keyboard. I am typing on it now. If updates with fixes are promised I may stay in. And as long as we'll eventually get full youtube I'm in. I am a youtubeholic. I actually watch tv shows on there, and right now a lot of the ones I watch aren't encoded. Oh well, they'll come. So I may have changed my mind. I think my biggest fear was getting stuck in a 2 year with AT&T with a defective Device. As soon as that Apple service plan comes out I'm getting it.

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I meant the comment "good luck finding a flawless phone" and now "don't let the door hit you on your way out". I think some people have a tendency not to like others to reject their "club"

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
I meant the comment "good luck finding a flawless phone" and now "don't let the door hit you on your way out". I think some people have a tendency not to like others to reject their "club"
We are not a "club" we are a fraternity Apple phi Apple... and here hazing is still legal:) Just kidding

Jan 11, 2007
Cary, NC
I have to say your three reasons are not the three I would have thought you would have given. I would have thought it would have been related to Edge slowness or something more important than having to have a headphone adapter to use it in your car. I'm sorry but to me that's insignificant. As far as not being able to manually manage the music, that's just something to get used to and might would be changed in future firmware releases. As far as YouTube, that's a work in progress as far as I can see. That wasn't even a feature when the iPhone was first announced.

D1CK1E

Jul 1, 2007
It's funny how people get offended when someone is returning the iPhone :)

It's not all things to all people. I love the device, but I'm not sure I'll stick with it myself. Some of the shortcomings are, in fact, disappointing given the price. For example, email handling is rather basic compared to today's other smart phones. Another is no task list.

UI, web browser and iPod are phenomenal, though.

Each person will weigh the good and the bad for their particular needs/tastes and decide whether or not the iPhone is for them. No one should get offended that someone does not agree with them about keeping the iPhone.
What's funny to me is that people feel the need to explain why they are returning the iPhone to a forum such as this. Why not just delete the bookmark from your browser, and go return the phone? Explain it to the AT&T or Apple guys maybe.

guest 5

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Just wanted to chime in here about YouTube. The version that is on iPhone is FINISHED and COMPLETE, but YouTube is in the process of encoding MOST or ALL of their library of videos to a format for iPhone. This means that there will always be more videos that iPhone's YouTube browser will find when searching, as YouTube fills up their iPhone encoding library.

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
To each their own...

Don't let the door hit you on the way out is NOT over used. The phone is far from perfect, well... I don't have a problem with speaker volume, so I guess my iPhone is ok. It's not a Treo, those have loud speakers.

Another poster wrote correctly, those that have a genuine gripe can return it, but as a tech I am hearing allot of whining from "previous" Blackberry or Treo owners who thought this was going to leave their beloved smart phones in the dust and now they are looking for every little excuse to talk themselves into returning their iPhone.

Ca'mon people... it's a new device, it's not going to walk on water, cure cancer, or bring about world peace, it seems to be a love hate relationship here.

Most of what I hear is because it's 600 bucks and they should not have used the rent money or money the was not disposable income to purchase it and now they have an excuse, I have personally assisted over a dozen people that have the iPhone and 2 out of that are returning it because they want to get their Blackberry Curve or something similar for HALF the cost.

Go ahead return it, leave us alone to enjoy our iPhones and good luck finding something better

Mactech

Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Amen...

They neel the need to justify, delete the bookmark and leave and never return.

What's funny to me is that people feel the need to explain why they are returning the iPhone to a forum such as this. Why not just delete the bookmark from your browser, and go return the phone? Explain it to the AT&T or Apple guys maybe.

macinnw

Jun 2, 2007
Geeks.

Blah blah blah.
Hunt, nice rational explanition for your decision.

I love the iPhone and its future capabilities, but I agree, it is not ready for my use, and especially at $600. I've already had two high end phones that i had kept for two years waiting for a fix.

I have been sitting on the fence and almost bought one, luckily all the Apple and AT&T stores were sold out by that time. Then I spoke to another user geek like myself. We have both bleed blue while standing on the bleeding edge of technology before. The promise is there, but can it deliver?

I have a list of minimum requirements and some possible work arounds, but until those are all solved, i will stay a wannabe iPhone owner.

Yes, i am a Mac enthusiast, and i can function almost as well on the other side. But for my needs, the iPhone is not ready. Each of us has to decide that for ourselves. And i do appreciate those that have made the plunge and are giving us real feedback, and not just hot air.

macinnw

Jun 2, 2007
I think the iPhone _will be_ great.

Feedback like Hunt's is good for other potential users, especially the fence sitters. it is also useful feedback to Apple, when rationally explained, to make it better.

Rants and raves without rational explanations are worthless.