REVIEW: Ghost Armor for iPhone 5

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Apple iPhone 5 Ghost Armor

First Impressions: I was at the Mall at Bridgewater (NJ) with my wife and saw one of their kiosks and decided to see what it was all about. I decided I was going to try it out, as the case I had on was not up to mu standards. What I liked is that they do the installation right there. I am never good at any of these applications.

Cost: $44.99 + tax for front clear, back matte and installation. Carbon Fiber back is more.

30-Day money back guarantee.

Warranty: Lifetime. If you return in the first 7 days, installation is free by them. Free installation by yourself or $5.00 if they do it, after the first 7 days. You just need to bring back the screen or back to be replaced. If you wanted to change to another finish such as clear back, it's just the $5.00 installation fee.

The Feel: The clear front adds some tactile touch to it. I noticed when placing some games, such as TempleRun or TempleRun2, sometimes my finger or nail gets caught. Than I check for a rip or hole, but there never is one. There are no fingerprints on it.

The Installation: The installation went well without a hitch by the kiosk personnel. They told me they get trained for 2 weeks before they are allowed to do it to customers' phones. Although, the woman doing mine had to remove one of the protectors once to re-align it. You are not allowed to put it in a case or tight jeans for 48 hours. If you buy their $4.95 microfiber bag you can keep it in your jeans. I bought it.

The cut outs: They are spot on. The cutout around the home button is perfect. The cutout around the front facing camera is oblong versus circular like the home button. And, there isn't a separate cutout for the ear speaker and proximity sensor. It is one cutout that is oblong like the front facing camera. Same thing with the back camera and flash, there is one cutout for it. But the camera and flash are circular around each other. Kinda like 0-0 setup.

The Appearance: The front screen does not impede the retina display. The back matte does give the silver part of the iPhone a sparkly appearance. I did notice there were a couple of imperfections on the front and back from installation. There is a tiny bubble off the screen on the front on the while part of the iPhone not noticeable unless you look for it. And another tiny one at the very top of the screen just under the white screen line. again these installation errors did not warrant me to return to the kiosk to have it redone. I did notice it in the first 7 days, so I could've had it done for free. And, there is larger one on the back at the top of the iPhone just where my bumper meets the iPhone.

P1010007.JPG
P1010008.JPG

Conclusions: This is a good screen protector with a great warranty. Wish more malls had these kiosks. Installation by them could have been better. I like it and will keep it. I might change out the back with a clear one.

Recommendation: I recommend this product to anyone who wants to stay naked but have some sort of front and back protection. They do offer side protection as well, but only for scratch resistance, not for impact. I recommend a bumper be used with this, like my Spigen SGP.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10 due to the imperfections with the kiosk installation personnel. I rate it high above any of the ones that come with cases.

UPDATE: I have had these films installed by a Ghost Armor mall kiosk since January 12, 2013. It's been over one month, and I'm having an issue. The front film is fine, but the back film is bubbling up in the upper right corner (other side as the camera).

I'm either going to pull it off and go back to being naked on the back or wait until I'm near the mall that installed it and have them fix it. If I get it fixed, I'm having the shiny not matte back installed instead.

The bumper was installed on January 18, 2013, so you can't say it's the bumper that caused this, unless it takes over 3 weeks to show the effects.

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
I would try Ghost Armour.....they don't have any kiosks in Oklahoma.

We have ZAGG....so I bought the Extreme and had them install it.

Love it with my Black OPs Sector.

Looks good

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I had a Ghost Armor screen protector on my 4 last year and I loved it. We only have a Zag kiosk in the mall that I go to and I haven't searched for other locations yet, but I should because of their high quality products.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
Nice review. I actually have a credit\coupon from my Samsung Galaxy S3 install. I may go to the mall and have mine done. Albeit I need to get a bumper first.

Sent using iCafe app

GolfnCPA

Sep 19, 2012
Medenbilk...there is a Ghost Armor kiosk outside the Apple Store in Penn Square Mall. At least there was the last time I was there during the Christmas season.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

medenblik

Contributor
Silver
Mar 25, 2010
Medenbilk...there is a Ghost Armor kiosk outside the Apple Store in Penn Square Mall. At least there was the last time I was there during the Christmas season.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Oh cool. Next time i am in ok city. I will have to check it out. I am in Tulsa.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Looks like there is some interference from the bumper. I'd bet it's rubbing (shape distorting that you cannot feel/see) when you handle it, plus pressure on a soft spot that is making the backing peel or bubble. Or, maybe a small pin hole there that deforms when handling the phone?

I had back cover on my iPhone 4 with the orginal spigen brand bumper, and did not have that issue - it was a spigen cover though...

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Looks like there is some interference from the bumper. I'd bet it's rubbing (shape distorting that you cannot feel/see) when you handle it, plus pressure on a soft spot that is making the backing peel or bubble. Or, maybe a small pin hole there that deforms when handling the phone?

I had back cover on my iPhone 4 with the orginal spigen brand bumper, and did not have that issue - it was a spigen cover though...
Ghost Armor said it will work with any bumper. So, I'm going back to them to have them fix it. The front, though, has no issues.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I think I know what happened. I use a Clingo and I bet every time I pull it off the stand, the back protector probably comes a little bit off. I think I'll remove it (and save it, if I want it replaced) and just go naked on the back.

jaw2k9

Bronze
Aug 9, 2010
Your last post is what I meant - and maybe did not say clearly. Now I don't know if it's a dock or the case/bumper moving, but what I meant is everytime you take it out of your pocket there is some amount of movement on that corner (maybe) and that was/is interfering with the protector.

I likely am still not clear - but either way - hope you get it resolved.
Good luck

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Your last post is what I meant - and maybe did not say clearly. Now I don't know if it's a dock or the case/bumper moving, but what I meant is everytime you take it out of your pocket there is some amount of movement on that corner (maybe) and that was/is interfering with the protector.

I likely am still not clear - but either way - hope you get it resolved.
Good luck
Understand. Thanks. It's tough to get a point across a computer screen when you know what you mean. Maybe you should've posted a YouTube video. :D lol

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
UPDATE: I removed the back protector, as it was getting worse. I saved it for future re-install of a new one. You need to bring the old to get a new under the lifetime warranty policy.

I'm back to my SwitchEasy Tones case until I can get the back replaced. I hate the back being naked. But, the added weight of the case is bothering me. I hope to get the back replaced soon.

Jan 15, 2014
I would try Ghost Armour.....they don't have any kiosks in Oklahoma.

We have ZAGG....so I bought the Extreme and had them install it.

Love it with my Black OPs Sector.

Looks good
yes they do have ghost armour in okla. that is where I live. I get mine at penn square mall or quail springs mall in okc.

Jan 15, 2014
Ghost Armor said it will work with any bumper. So, I'm going back to them to have them fix it. The front, though, has no issues.
I love my ghost armor. ive had it on my last 3 iPhones, ive had to have a few pieces re-done. I have problem with sides pieces starting to peel, so I fixed that by putting just a dab of finger nail or super glue on the corners/edges and it has helped out tremendously. I just finger nail glue that has a brush on it, so I can put it where I want it, and its not to much. DO NOT just squeeze it out of bottle then you will ruin your phone. that's just my tip for my ghost armor. I love it and everyone always ask where I got my cover. I actually have a new color that is not out yet. I got it in dallas, they only got 2 to see if they would sell. its a metallic purple and I LOVE IT!

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
Do not buy this product. The kiosk gave me wrong info and now I have to pay for shipping x3. The kiosk told me that when I replace a phone, the warranty will cover the new device that I just have to pay for installation. Per ghost armor, the warranty is for the original device only. So now I have to pay for shipping the new protectors back to them, plus the cost that I spent to ship the originals back to them and the cost for them to ship me what I thought were replacements it I'll get charged $19.95 x 2. So my total shipping will be almost equivalent to one protector. BOYCOTT GHOST ARMOR!