REVIEW: SPIGEN SGP SGP10033 Neo Hybrid EX Slim Metal Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by EverythingApple, Jan 24, 2013.

1. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

SPIGEN SGP SGP10033 Neo Hybrid EX Slim Metal Case

First impressions: The packaging is very good and strong. There is no way the bumper could get damaged unless it was run over by a vehicle. Inside the packaging are the silicone and plastic bumpers pieces, Steinheil Ultra Crystal Screen Protector, Back Protection Film, and Jelly Bean Home Button stickers. There were two clear dot stickers holding the packaging together. Once removed, it was hard to open the case.

Packaging Pics: photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

The installation: The one downside, right out of the box, was there were no installation instructions. I installed it on my iPhone 5 remembering what I read on the web. The silicone bumper was installed first without a hitch. The plastic bumper piece had to be installed with the buttons side first and than pulled over the rest. It was a little bit of a task, but it went well. Than I made sure that it was centered on the silicone piece. I do recall one location that it was not and I just popped it into place. I did not install the screen or back films, as I already have the Ghost Armor on the front and back, which I will also review in another thread.

The Use of the buttons: There are zero issues pressing the volume or sleep/power buttons unlike some bumpers. I've been using the bumper for 7 days now. The indent for the vibrate switch is a little tough to get to if you have big fingers and no mails, but it's acceptable to me. But, this is something to expect with a two piece bumper.

P1010002.JPG P1010005.JPG

The Appearance: The white and silver blends in with the white iPhone 5 I have. It actually looks like it's part of the phone. I am glad I chose this color combo.

P1010007.JPG P1010008.JPG

The port holes: The charging hole will only accept the OEM Apple charging cable. It will not accept the 30-pin to Lightning cable. The headphone will also accept the OEM Apple headphones. I have not tried out any other headphones. My Bose Ear buds barely fit. If you hit the plug, the sound cuts out and the music stops.. I purchased one of those Bluetooth adapters to send music to my Bose Sounddock Portable, so I don't need the Lightning adapter. I will review the Bluetooth adapter, when I get it and try it out.

P1010006.JPG

The fit: The fit is snug. I've only had it on for 7 days, but it's been in and out of my pocket at least 10x/day and the fit is the same as the day I put it on.

Protection: I have not had the opportunity or instance to drop my iPhone and don't plan on doing so, but with the silicone and outer plastic piece construction, I'm sure that any drops on any of the edges, the iPhone will be fine.

Conclusion: I think this is a very good minimal protection case. I have only tried out two other cases. The SwitchEasy Tones Hybrid Case and the Ballistic Every1 case. The former one I still have and it gets high review marks from the site admin chris.

Rating: 8 out of 10. Due to the charge port size and the vibrate switch that is a little hard to reach with big fingers.

Recommendation: I highly recommend this bumper to anyone who wants to show off their iPhone 5 without adding extra weight. Or, for someone that doesn't want a case, but wants some protection. I do recommend that if you use this bumper, that you do use some sort of front and back film. This is the closest thing you get to going naked and keeping the original appearance of the white iPhone 5, in my case.

Note: This review will be added to or edited as new items arise.

#1 EverythingApple, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2014
  2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Looks good. Thanks for sharing the review!

Does the GhostArmor add a 'sparkle' to the aluminum?

3. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I have a red one.
    I thought same thing. Packaging was tough and I didn't like the no institutions part. I do find mine comes off now and then depends on what jeans I am wearing.
    Glad you like it

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Wow, the Slim Metal has a smaller Lightning port opening, but aside from that it looks exactly like my SGP Neo Hybrid EX Slim Snow. It looks like all they changed on the "Metal" version was the port opening to make it incompatible with the 0.2 m Apple adapter.

3.png

1.jpg

5. EverythingApple

Gold

The ghost armor I chose for the back was the matte finish. You can choose the shiny finish. I think I should've chosen the shiny, as you're right it looks sparkly.

6. EverythingApple

Gold

I don't wear tight jeans and never try to remove it while I'm driving. Before I get in the car, I usually take it out of my pants pocket and put it in a jacket pocket.

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I'm same way. Notice the other day though leaving the movies that on the back the neoprene had moved a little by one of the edges near the corner. No biggie. I do wish the back protector was all one piece not three.

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This case is incredibly tight and fairly difficult to get on the phone the first and second time and then loosens up and becomes too easy and a little loose thereafter. I never had that problem with regular bumper cases.

9. EverythingApple

Gold

What do you mean by three pieces?

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He was referring to these:

image.jpg

11. EverythingApple

Gold

Thanks, I missed him saying it was the back protector. I didn't use the front or back the came with the bumper.

12. EverythingApple

Gold

I tried these last night when I wanted to put my bumper back on, as the back ghost armor is temporarily removed until I can get to a kiosk to have a new one installed. These, in the attachment, interfered with the bumper and I had to remove them. So right now, I'm going naked on the back.

Although, now I see what everyone is saying, the bumper isn't as tight a fir as I would like it to be. It is getting loose. Any recommendations for an always tight fitting, not too expensive, bumper?

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't think think there is anything you can do about that. It will stay tight if you never remove the case, but it's going to get loose after taking it off and putting it on a few times, unfortunately. This is a drawback to the two-piece design. You could try emailing Speigen and seeing if they'll give you a replacement.

The Monoprice bumpers are only $5 and they don't loosen up.

14. EverythingApple

Gold

But, there are issues with the buttons. I like the buttons on the Spigen. I'll email Spigen.

15. EverythingApple

Gold

I emailed them and they want me to send them a picture, so they can have the warehouse send me a new one. How do I take a picture that show's it's loose? The only way I could do that was if it was literally falling off the phone.

16. jaw2k9

jaw2k9 Member
    Bronze

can you hold the bumper in such a way that it creates a gap? Or have someone else do that?

Good luck they were tough to deal with, I gave up (again that was an iPhone 4 case) - the only one I ever liked. I just removed my current case and am no longer using one (for now).

Ridiculous to put a big bulky case on an item that is getting designed as smaller more light weight and thinner etc.

But, that's me, others disagree - that's what makes the internet great!

17. EverythingApple

Gold

Today the bumper broke in half at the cut out for the lightning cable. I've only had it six months. I sent Spigen an email through Amazon.

I think I'm gonna get a waterproof case. I need one.

Sent using iCafe app

18. EverythingApple

Gold

This case/bumper is a piece if ca-ca. It broke and Spigen only has a 90-day warranty, so they won't replaced it. ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1371506821.034431.jpg

I now have the Spigen Linear case installed. This one has the clear back and is a two piece silver bumper. Hope this lasts longer than 90 days.

Sent using iCafe app

19. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

That sucks. I've been a big fan of Spigen cases in the past few years. I had quite a few Spigen cases for my 4 and I am currently using a Spigen Slim Armor with the replaceable back color panels. I used a pretty similar bumper like the one you were using on my 4 and always felt like they could snap in the same area, but they never did.