Review: Ultimate Buds UB5's

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
I have had these a few weeks now, and I'm still impressed every time I use them.

Shipping was prompt. The package contained a carry pouch, and 3 sets of flanges. I did not find any of the included flanges to be totally comfortable; they seemed a little thinner than others I have had. I put on a set from another pair of headphones I had. They fit me much better now, but the include ones may work fine for you. Everyone's ears are different!

The construction is very solid. The housings, the same as the Vibes from V-moda, are made of aluminum, as are the jack and the splitter. The cord seems of good quality and does not cause any kind of added noise. The length is quite sufficient.

I find the sound quality phenomenal, though I have never actually used a very "high end" set of ear buds. I have a very broad spectrum of music that I listen to, ranging from Hip-Hop to Bluegrass, and these do it all very nicely. They have great range, handling bass well, and bringing out great detail in the mids and highs. They seem to handle most of the EQ setting on the iPhone well also. The sound quality is not even comparable with that of the O.E. Apple set. You should not be disappointed!

The mic/clicker functions exactly as the Apple’s do, but seemed a bit stiffer at first. After some usage it seems to have freed up nicely. I have not been told of a difference in the mic quality from anyone on the other end of the line, which I take as a good thing! I've not been told to "speak up", or "what's that noise?".

As I said, I've never used or owned a very expensive set of ear buds. These are less then $50.00, and I couldn't ask for much more in a set of headphones. I would highly recommend these to anyone who is not looking to spend a fortune, yet want a high end product, which I believe Ultimate Buds have made.

Check them out; http://www.ultimatebuds.com/store/product.php?productid=16145&cat=0&page=1&featured

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
These earbuds rock!

Got mine today. Shipping was prompt, packaging nice. Out of the box: velvety carrying pouch, with earbuds inside. The earbuds are black, very nice-looking. They fit nice, sound really good. I'm not sure about the 'burn-in' process with earbuds, but out-of-the-box they sound good. They cancel out other sounds well. Highs and bass are really nice. The only problem I had, which may not be inherent in the rest, is the area where the cord fit into the connector. It seemed loose, and when I moved the cord, there was some static. I twisted the cord slightly, which seemed to tighten it and the static went away.
These blow away the stock earbuds! The little clicker works as promised, and call quality was great as well. What I also like is the cord is symetrical, not lop-sided like other earbuds. I hate that 5-inches-on-one-side, ten-on-the-other crap!
All in all, these earbuds are great, and a perfect, inexpensive replacement for the stock earbuds.:cool:

Thanks, UltimateBuds!

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
Thanks for this and the link. I was just told I should look into these and then there was this thread! Maybe it's a sign ;)

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Got mine today. Shipping was prompt, packaging nice. Out of the box: velvety carrying pouch, with earbuds inside. The earbuds are black, very nice-looking. They fit nice, sound really good. I'm not sure about the 'burn-in' process with earbuds, but out-of-the-box they sound good. They cancel out other sounds well. Highs and bass are really nice. The only problem I had, which may not be inherent in the rest, is the area where the cord fit into the connector. It seemed loose, and when I moved the cord, there was some static. I twisted the cord slightly, which seemed to tighten it and the static went away.
These blow away the stock earbuds! The little clicker works as promised, and call quality was great as well. What I also like is the cord is symetrical, not lop-sided like other earbuds. I hate that 5-inches-on-one-side, ten-on-the-other crap!
All in all, these earbuds are great, and a perfect, inexpensive replacement for the stock earbuds.:cool:

Thanks, UltimateBuds!
I'm not really sure on the burn-in either, probably my imagination. Couldn't hurt though, I remember Hawk saying something about it for a set of ear-buds he had gotten. They are pretty impressive though, for the price. (Mine were free:cool:)

Leon8808

Aug 11, 2008
You have just convinced me to get a set of these. The earphones that came with my iPhone 3g are pretty decent to me so I can't wait to see (hear I mean :laugh2:) how this would sound.