Rhapsody v2.0 in app store!

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I know many here aren't fans of the Rhapsody/Subscription concept, but for those who are:

v2.0 of the app is out, and appears to have some offline listening capability in it. I'll be playing with it this week and will post some sort of a review here later.

yes!

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
Wokrs great, don't need a connection to listen to your music anymore after you download a playlist.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
I've been playing with this app for a few weeks so I figure it's time to share my thoughts. I'll start with the basics:

Why I love Rhapsody: Saturday was laundry day. Decided I wanted something new to listen to while folding clothes. Went to staff picks and saw "Anat Cohen/Notes from the Village" and thought that sounded interesting. Wow. What a lovely set of sounds to start the day. How much in addition to the monthly subscription price did it cost me to listen to this CD? Zip. No commercials. No other music if I wasn't in the mood. No lost investment if I didn't like it. And I can listen to the CD as many time as I like. It's a model that encourages exploring new music. In addition, this is a multiple platform solution: I can listen to Anat on my PC, my Sansa, my iPhone, an Android phone, or a windows phone (I think no Mac).

Why I love the iPhone app: I got on an airplane a few days ago. While I was waiting for the airplane to finish boarding I checked facebook. Saw a post from an old friend. She'd just gone to see "Los Fabulosos Cadillacs" in concert and said they were great. Who are "Los Fabulosos Cadillacs" I thought. I launched the rhapsody app, searched for the band, made a playlist of their 'top tracks', and downloaded all 20 of the tracks before boarding finished. I was then able to listen to them on the flight.

So I love the service and love the app. That said, the app isn't perfect. Stuff I hope they fix:

- no background playing. I assume this will be fixed after OS v4. It works OK with backgrounder but you need to restart the app after a phone call.

- can only download playlists, not single tracks or CDs. They say they'll fix this.

- sound quality is good. Better Than it was in earlier versions but not great.

- the app's a little slow. Scrolling is pretty laggy.

Perfect? No. Highly recommended? Yes.

Jul 5, 2010
Thank you for your rhapsody post and iPhone - folks thank you for rhapsody app

yes!
I am so glad you posted your information. I just got my iPhone and read a post that said rhapsody was not compatible. I would have been upset for no reason. And i don't get upset easily, but like you, i have found rhapsody to be a terrific tool

i am one of those "old people" kids talk about not knowing anything about apps... And i can't believe it ...but i actually got a knot in my stomach when i thought i wouldn't have access to my rhapsody!

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
Glad I could help. An iOS4 compatible version has been submitted to Apple, so in a couple of weeks we should be able to listen to Rhapsody in the background. The app won't have to be on the screen.

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
v2.0.2 has been released. Background play is now supported. It seems to work great. The play/pause/skip buttons on the multi task bar work with rhapsody when it's running so it now works as an effective replacement for the iPod app. I now have full online/offline access to their whole catalog.

I don't know if anyone else cares, but I'm a very happy camper.

Jul 12, 2010
Yup....love this app.... It is the sole reason I got rid of my blackberry and picked up my 3GS

Jul 1, 2010
Chatham NY
Best App in store for tunes.
I can't believe this is legal.
I run this all day through the stereo at work. Love it !

Santa

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 2, 2009
Colorado, USA
For those of you who are considering a subscription service: Rhapsody just released v2.1 which includes the biggest missing feature. You can now download songs to your iPhone without creating a playlist first. See an album you want to listen to? Just press download. See a song you want to listen to? Just press download.

I'm a happy camper.

R

Read-Learn-Know

Great application!
thanks for this early present Santa:d