Righty or lefty? And how do you hold/use your phone?

kerriberri

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I'm curious to see how left/right handed users use their phone. I ask because even though I am right handed I use my left hand to hold and use my phone when I do use it one handed, it feels awkward to hold it in my right hand. The majority of he time I do use both hands, mostly to text.

How do you hold/use your phone?

Sent using iCafe app

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I hold my phone in the right hand. However, when I'm texting, I use both hands. It's just not the same as holding a 5S.

Zzz

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 13, 2014
I use it pretty evenly in both right and left hand, pinky supporting the bottom. When I do 1 handed texting that is mostly with my right hand.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using iCafe App.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I'm right handed and hold the phone in my left hand, little finger supporting the phone at the bottom and the remaining fingers in back of it in either landscape or portrait position. Use both thumbs for text entry.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 5

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I held my 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 and 5s in my right hand and would proficiently type, navigate and scroll with my right thumb. I would use both thumbs to type when I was writing more than a sentence or two to increase my speed, but probably 80%+ of my usage was strictly with my right hand. I loved the 3.5 and 4" screens.

I look like a gimp who can't figure out how to use a smartphone when I pickup the iPhone 6. I alternate between an awkward, unsteady, one-handed grip and cupping the phone with both hands like it's a hot cup of tea. The one-handed grip never lasts long because my pinky and palm get sore. I feel like a little kid trying to play basketball with a full-size ball.

missygal

Zealot
Silver
Jul 2, 2010
I held my 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5 and 5s in my right hand and would proficiently type, navigate and scroll with my right thumb. I would use both thumbs to type when I was writing more than a sentence or two to increase my speed, but probably 80%+ of my usage was strictly with my right hand. I loved the 3.5 and 4" screens.

I look like a gimp who can't figure out how to use a smartphone when I pickup the iPhone 6. I alternate between an awkward, unsteady, one-handed grip and cupping the phone with both hands like it's a hot cup of tea. The one-handed grip never lasts long because my pinky and palm get sore. I feel like a little kid trying to play basketball with a full-size ball.
Pretty much the same!

kerriberri

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I'm right handed and hold the phone in my left hand, little finger supporting the phone at the bottom and the remaining fingers in back of it in either landscape or portrait position. Use both thumbs for text entry.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone

I think the bigger size makes 2 thumbed texting much easier..

Sent using iCafe app

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
903062.png

billnye97

Contributor
Silver
Jun 21, 2007
Cleveland
Maybe this case for your new phone?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Maybe this case for your new phone?
Hehe! Naw. I've found that I just need to use this phone caseless. Cases just make it thicker and harder to use one-handed. Unfortunaly, I bought about six of them before I realized this.

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
Right handed, hold top with left hand, and type with my right thumb. So far , the drop down feature is my favorite feature.

Sent using iCafe app

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
And I forgot to add, a couple of times I found myself just holding and using the phone with one hand. I think the Spigen case I have on it adds to me being less worried about the phone slipping from my hand.

Sent using iCafe app

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Throughout all my iPhones from the 3G to present, I always hold my iPhone with my left hand and type with my right. IDK why, but I started doing that right off. I was in the Apple store buying my very first iPhone 3G and as soon as I got my hands on it that is how I held it and did things on it. It was natural for me and I never changed it. I'd see people texting with two thumbs and I tried that but it never felt right to me and I'd go back to my way.

Left hand hold, right hand operate.

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
Right hand, pinky on bottom. I usually double thumb it for texting though.

ricks2gtouch

Zealot
Silver
Feb 20, 2009
Florida
Me, too. And my pinky has been pissed off at me since I upgraded to the 6.
I was just saying this to my wife. The Spigen Tough Armor case has the cutouts on the bottom that are kinda sharp. She didn't seem to care much that my sensitive pinky is getting sore.