RIM testing 3.5g? Would iPhone possibly follow suit?

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
Short article: http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/03/21/rim.chief.on.3g.bla

Listening to "thecellphonejunkie" podcast last night and they mentioned someone field testing a 3.5g blackberry. So I googled "3.5g blackberry" and found a few articles. ^there's one.

Wonder if Apple would skip straight to a 3.5g over 3g? Hmmmmmmm...

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Short article: http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/03/21/rim.chief.on.3g.bla

Listening to "thecellphonejunkie" podcast last night and they mentioned someone field testing a 3.5g blackberry. So I googled "3.5g blackberry" and found a few articles. ^there's one.

Wonder if Apple would skip straight to a 3.5g over 3g? Hmmmmmmm...
don't hold your breath on Apple doing that. I'll be happy just to get 3g, although I admit I'm fairly happy with EDGE. I thought I'd really miss having 3g (3.5g) when I sold my Nokia N95, but I haven't missed it much at all. The battery life on the N95 with 3g and all the simultaneous apps I ran was horrible. If 3g is the only added feature on the version 2 iPhone I might just pass if it cuts the battery life significantly.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
don't hold your breath on Apple doing that
I'd have been dead a long time ago if I held my breath for a specific Apple anouncement. =P

They're full of surprises!

Inverted

Bronze
Feb 17, 2008
the iPhone has a long way to go to rank up with the likes of rim. so i doubt the iPhone will be HSDPA.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
hey, i'd even be happy with a πG iPhone.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
don't hold your breath on Apple doing that. I'll be happy just to get 3g, although I admit I'm fairly happy with EDGE. I thought I'd really miss having 3g (3.5g) when I sold my Nokia N95, but I haven't missed it much at all. The battery life on the N95 with 3g and all the simultaneous apps I ran was horrible. If 3g is the only added feature on the version 2 iPhone I might just pass if it cuts the battery life significantly.
the way i understand it, short battery life was the one of the main things holding Apple back from implementing 3G on iPhone 1. I'd imagine they won't make an iPhone with it until they can ensure good battery life.

Dec 29, 2007
New jersey USA
i don't mind

the way i understand it, short battery life was the one of the main things holding Apple back from implementing 3G on iPhone 1. I'd imagine they won't make an iPhone with it until they can ensure good battery life.
i don't really mind if it cuts the battery life i don't do a lot of talking on the phone i do a lot of texting and web uses and my phone don't even last that long! so add 3g and ill will just get a car charger

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
yup, that was the main reason, at least that's what they said. But, I think there should be a 3g iPhone if there is a market for it, and there definitely is. There is no reason Apple couldn't offer the 3g version and keep the 1st gen EDGE only phone on the market for people who don't need 3g. I mean there is no reason that Apple has to limit themselves to only have one handset. RIM, MOTO, LG, Samsung, Nokia all have several handsets on most carriers available. Those who want 3g will almost certainly know of the negative effects it will have on the battery. For those with no need for 3g they could opt for the non 3g device. I'll be honest I want 3g or HSDPA, but not if the battery is as horrible as it was on my N95-3. That is the main reason I switched back to the iPhone.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
yup, that was the main reason, at least that's what they said. But, I think there should be a 3g iPhone if there is a market for it, and there definitely is. There is no reason Apple couldn't offer the 3g version and keep the 1st gen EDGE only phone on the market for people who don't need 3g. I mean there is no reason that Apple has to limit themselves to only have one handset. RIM, MOTO, LG, Samsung, Nokia all have several handsets on most carriers available. Those who want 3g will almost certainly know of the negative effects it will have on the battery. For those with no need for 3g they could opt for the non 3g device. I'll be honest I want 3g or HSDPA, but not if the battery is as horrible as it was on my N95-3. That is the main reason I switched back to the iPhone.
Lovin' the new avatar! LoL:p

Mar 11, 2008
Ok, let's get something straight- "3G" is a term for a data network generation that encompases everything from UMTS to HSUPA. Basically, everything up to LTE. The next iPhone will certainly be HSDPA. Why wouldn't it be? HSDPA is just an upgrade of UMTS, not a separate technology.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
technically HSDPA is 3.5g and there are still quite a few phones that come out that are only capable of 3g and not 3.5g speeds

Mar 11, 2008
Perhaps I should clarify my statement. The term "3g" can be used to describe any technology based on, or an upgrade to UMTS. This includes HSDPA, HSUPA, and anything else based on W-CDMA.
Unlike "3G", the term "3.5G" has a much narrower definition- HSDPA or HSUPA.
So when Steve Jobs says there will be a "3G" iPhone, he is saying that the phone will use some sort of 3G standard, ranging from UMTS to HSUPA.