Ringback tones For iPhone?

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Ringback tones or whatever att calls them are not dependent upon the phone but upon the carrier and the tone is stored there. I believe the last post gave some good instruction on how to do it .

DarkyDark

Sep 23, 2007
Yeah i figured it out, but for some reason AT&T has to be gay and it says that authorization failed when i tryed to buy and it says something about my account being suspended and calling customer care or something lol when i can log into att.com and look at my account overview and everything..haha weird and gay at the same time.

esco803

Nov 18, 2007
Does anyone know if there is a way to download ringback tones to the iPhone? You know the kind where you call someone and music plays while it rings on the other end. My wife sent me on a mission to find a ringback tone for her iPhone. I searched the web and even AT&T but I can't find anything. By the way my phone is not hacked.

colombianito

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
ring back tones are not phone specific...it is a network provided service...

with att you have to subscribe to ringback tones and pay the 1.99$ a month and then buy the ringback tones you want to use and set them up for the specific callers you want it for or make it your default ringback tone... the tones you buy are urs for a year or till u delete them...

Dec 18, 2010
Clarksville, TN
I've been trying to get ring-backs for weeks now. I'm so frustrated with this! Can anyone tell me how to get real ring-backs on the iPhone 4? Please give me something that REALLY works or something that's ACTUALLY been done, not a theory. Thanks :)

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I've been trying to get ring-backs for weeks now. I'm so frustrated with this! Can anyone tell me how to get real ring-backs on the iPhone 4? Please give me something that REALLY works or something that's ACTUALLY been done, not a theory. Thanks :)
Just so you understand, ringbacks are a service offered by cellular providers, they are not a feature of mobile phones and as such are tied to your service and not your particular handset. With that being clarified, here is a definition as well as instructions for activating them on AT&T for those who are interested...

How to Get Ringback Tones With AT&T

Ringback Tones, which AT&T Wireless refers to as "Answer Tones," play music to your callers when they are waiting for you to pick up. Instead of hearing the standard ringing sound, callers can hear Lionelle Richie's "Hello" or the Beastie Boys' "So Watcha Want." With AT&T's answer tone assignment capabilities, you can choose ringtones for each caller. Your mom can hear "Teach Your Children" by Crosby, Stills and Nash, your ex-boyfriend can hear "Don't Bother" by Shakira, and your current flame can hear "Give Me All Your Lovin" by ZZ Top. AT&T makes it easy to download and manage your ringback tones.

1. Visit AT&T Wireless's website and click "myWireless Account" in the upper right-hand corner.
2. Click "Get started" under "Not yet registered." Enter your wireless number and enter a password and the information to verify your account.
3. Visit AT&T Wireless' Answer Tones website once you are registered. Find answer tones by searching the name of the song or artist name, or browse by the genres listed on the left-hand side of the website.
4. Listen to the answer tones before your purchase them by clicking the blue button with a picture of a microphone.
5. Click "Buy" next to the ringtone you want to buy.
6. Log in by entering your wireless number and password, accept the license terms, and confirm that you would like to purchase the ringtone. Once you confirm the purchase, this song automatically becomes the song that callers hear when they call.
7. Manage answer tones so that different callers hear different answer tones. To do this, visit the AT&T Answer Tones website and click "Manage My Answer Tones."
8. Click on the "Callers and Groups" tab.
9. Click "Add New Caller."
10. Enter the caller's name and phone number.
11. Select a tone to play for the new caller.
12. Click "Save Changes."

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 18, 2010
Clarksville, TN
I understand that service providers provide ringbacks and I've been to the AT&T website. I've tried this (even with AT&T's assistance) without success. Have you tried it or know someone who has tried it successfuly?

When I attempted to buy ringbacks, the system asked me to select my phone. There is no iPhone but there is a paragraph that gives you instructions to go to iTunes. Did you see that?

Dec 18, 2010
Clarksville, TN
...more

I've talked to numerous AT&T customer service reps and even with the office of the president executive. He even told me to iTunes because AT&T couldn't provide ring backs for the iPhone. I KNOW they advertised that they could provide them for iPhone 4s and I'm irritated that they're reneging now.

I hope you can help and appreciate anything you can do. If we need to communicate off-line to get it done, I'm game.

Be well!

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
...more

I've talked to numerous AT&T customer service reps and even with the office of the president executive. He even told me to iTunes because AT&T couldn't provide ring backs for the iPhone. I KNOW they advertised that they could provide them for iPhone 4s and I'm irritated that they're reneging now.

I hope you can help and appreciate anything you can do. If we need to communicate off-line to get it done, I'm game.

Be well!
Interesting... must be something that Apple has thought twice about because I know some people with older iPhones that still have it active.

I would suggest calling customer service directly and seeing if they can do it for you. I haven't done this personally because I'm too old to have anyone calling me hearing music. ;)

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I'm old myself; just thought it was a nice feature; this 'evolved' into a quest. I'll probably stumble on the answer, but no one at AT&T has been able to help. Thanks for trying! ;-)
Oh, it wasn't a criticism. My cousins have that feature on their phones; they're just not iPhones. Good luck in your quest!

Dec 18, 2010
Clarksville, TN
No worries; I didn't take it that way. It's really hard for me to believe that I'm the only person who heard this feature advertised or who wants this feature. Crazy! Thanks for the luck and it you hear anything about this, please let me know. I'll keep the thread posted if I get this resolved.

Omen311

Bronze
Jul 21, 2010
TEXAS
I have ring back tones and I have an iPhone 4. In fact I purchased it when i had my blackberry. When I bought the iPhone 4 my ringback was still there. Everyone that calls me til this day still hear it. So idk What your problem could be?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I have ring back tones and I have an iPhone 4. In fact I purchased it when i had my blackberry. When I bought the iPhone 4 my ringback was still there. Everyone that calls me til this day still hear it. So idk What your problem could be?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app
That's actually because it's tied to your account, not your phone. Think of the ringtone that people hear when they call you. How can that tone be on your phone? It can't be. It's impossible because they haven't connected to your phone yet! Again, these Ringtones or Answer Tones are linked to your account as they are a service of your provider, not something that can be downloaded to the phone. One thing I would try, if you really want to get this on your iPhone 4, is to go to the website and choose a Blackberry or some other device as your phone and then I'm pretty sure it would work. However, before you do this, make sure you call and inform a customer service rep of your intentions in case it doesn't work so they can refund your money if need be.

btitus

Contributor
Silver
Apr 7, 2009
North Carolina
That's actually because it's tied to your account, not your phone. Think of the ringtone that people hear when they call you. How can that tone be on your phone? It can't be. It's impossible because they haven't connected to your phone yet! Again, these Ringtones or Answer Tones are linked to your account as they are a service of your provider, not something that can be downloaded to the phone. One thing I would try, if you really want to get this on your iPhone 4, is to go to the website and choose a Blackberry or some other device as your phone and then I'm pretty sure it would work. However, before you do this, make sure you call and inform a customer service rep of your intentions in case it doesn't work so they can refund your money if need be.
www.appcenter.wireless.att.com for Ringback tones

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

Omen311

Bronze
Jul 21, 2010
TEXAS
yes I know it's not the phone. Ringbacks are on your account. So he shouldn't have no problem gettin em

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe