Ringtone Hack Works With 7.4.1 !

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Just do this...

http://joemaller.com/2007/09/08/make-custom-iphone-ringtones-work-with-itunes-741/

Jobs already "jobbed" us this week. He ain't doing it twice!
HAHA, I love the hacking community. Even though it's not really a hack, more like a trick. Anyways. I haven't verified that yet. I haven't even downloaded the latest iTunes version (what is it now? 7.4.2? 7.4.3? It seems they come up with new iTunes version faster than it takes to say it!)
Please anyone confirm the good functionality on both MacOs and windows.
Thaaaaaaaanks

seb481

Silver
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
An interesting comment found on this blog:

This assumes you are starting with an AAC file that your renamed from M4a to M4r
There is a ringtone type assigned to iTunes “.M4r,” executing this ringtone type does a few things. The first time you ever execute one, it adds a Ringtone directory to your iTunes Music directory structure IF you have iTunes managing your music.
It also adds the ringtone to the Ringtone tab within the iPhone section of iTunes.
In 7.4.0, that’s all that was needed. The M4r files synced back and forth to your iPhone.
In 7.4.1 iTunes made the .M4r extension useful for “registering” a file as a ringtone, but also made it “incompatible” with syncing.
What file extension can ALWAYS be synced to any iPod like device? .M4a
Thus renaming the .M4r files that are now REGISTERED and LOCATED IN RINGTONES DIRECTORY to a .M4a extension bypasses the incompatibilty error trap that was added in 7.4.1
Someone please verify these steps and correct them if wrong…since I think folks will benefit from a stepwise procedure. Lettered steps are ones i’ve used for cleanliness an may not be required
1. Confirm iTunes is set to import to AAC 128
2. If the “to-be” rington is not currently AAC, convert it by right clicking
3. Delete the new aac file from the library ONLY
4. Locate the file and Move it to your desktop
5. Rename the file from xxxx.m4a to xxxx.m4r
6. Double Click on the file
7. Return to iTunes and confirm it is now in the iPhone ringtones tab, but no not Sync
8. Locate the file in your iTunes Music/Ringtones Directory
9. Rename file from xxxx.m4r to xxxx.m4a
10. Sync! All should be well.
One specific confirmation request for the community. Pleae confirm that there is NO NEED to double click on the newly renamed M4a file located in the Ringtone directory. It seems this messes things up, but I’ve seen it listed several times before.

arothman

Bronze
Jul 28, 2007
I had it working for a minute and added two custom tones, but now when I double-click any .M4R file, iTunes simply deletes the entire Ringtones folder. Doesn't move to the trash or anything... it's simply gone.

So now I have two ringtones that appear on the phone, but there's no Ringtones folder. I don't know how to even get rid of them let alone add other ones.

I'm confused!

And what happens if there's a band called Ringtones someday? :)

ben1380

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I did those steps, and I can sync my iPhone, but I don't see my song anywhere under ringtones on the iPhone? What gives?

MrSoprano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
confirmed NOT working for me either :( windows xp pc user. my question if anyone can help is how do i get rid of those items in the ringtone tab now?

MrSoprano

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I can't even find a ringtones folder. I'm also a pc user -- anyone have any advice?
yes, you must have iTunes set up to manage your music.

in iTunes
edit
preferences
advanced tab
general tab
make sure "Keep iTunes music folder organized"
and "copy files to iTunes music folder when adding to library"
are checked

zlively

May 3, 2007
Here is what I did, went to iTunes choose a song right clicked it get info and change it too AAC, this will make it m4a. Drag that to the desktop and delete the original song from iTunes. change the file extension of the file you drag to the desktop to m4r. put that file back into iTunes and you are all set.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Worked for me on a newly restored phone.

Never added a ringtone other then jailbreak before so this might not work same for everyone but here is what i did (for the most part from memory right now). This was done on a MacBook Pro.

I didn't have a ringtone folder in my iTunes/music folder when I started this. Not sure if that makes a diff or not and didn't have that error message because I never tried to sync ringtones before.

I took the ringtone (lets call it TONE.MP3) I wanted and converted it to an AAC. "Advanced>Convert Selection to AAC" This created a double of TONE. The original TONE.MP3 and the new one TONE.M4A
Moved the TONE.MP3 and TONE.M4A to the desktop.
Deleted the TONE.MP3 and TONE.M4A from my iTunes library (i also clicked yes to move to the trash)
Renamed the desktop file TONE.M4A to TONE.M4R
Double clicked TONE.M4R on my desktop which added it to the ringtone sync box and also created the ringtone directory.
Before syncing I renamed the TONE.M4R in the iTunes/music/ringtone director back to TONE.M4A
Sync

I did this for 2 separate ringtones and it worked both times.

I didn't want to lose the original TONE.MP3 so once everything was said and done I put that back into my iTunes music folder and all is good. So I also have the original tone in case they somehow delete the newly made TONE. M4A file

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Worked for me on a newly restored phone.

Never added a ringtone other then jailbreak before so this might not work same for everyone but here is what i did (for the most part from memory right now). This was done on a MacBook Pro.

I didn't have a ringtone folder in my iTunes/music folder when I started this. Not sure if that makes a diff or not and didn't have that error message because I never tried to sync ringtones before.

I took the ringtone (lets call it TONE.MP3) I wanted and converted it to an AAC. "Advanced>Convert Selection to AAC" This created a double of TONE. The original TONE.MP3 and the new one TONE.M4A
Moved the TONE.MP3 and TONE.M4A to the desktop.
Deleted the TONE.MP3 and TONE.M4A from my iTunes library (i also clicked yes to move to the trash)
Renamed the desktop file TONE.M4A to TONE.M4R
Double clicked TONE.M4R on my desktop which added it to the ringtone sync box and also created the ringtone directory.
Before syncing I renamed the TONE.M4R in the iTunes/music/ringtone director back to TONE.M4A
Sync

I did this for 2 separate ringtones and it worked both times.

I didn't want to lose the original TONE.MP3 so once everything was said and done I put that back into my iTunes music folder and all is good. So I also have the original tone in case they somehow delete the newly made TONE. M4A file
I've done this exact thing over and over, plus another suggestion or 2, and nothing (after the latest iTunes update). It's very frustrating! Why would Apple care if a small handful of people were making ringtones? Think about all the ppl who now have iPhones. Only a small percentage peruse this forum, and only a small percentage of that will hack the phone, or make ringtones using these methods. So why should Apple give a sh*t?

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I've done this exact thing over and over, plus another suggestion or 2, and nothing (after the latest iTunes update). It's very frustrating! Why would Apple care if a small handful of people were making ringtones? Think about all the ppl who now have iPhones. Only a small percentage peruse this forum, and only a small percentage of that will hack the phone, or make ringtones using these methods. So why should Apple give a sh*t?
$
$$
$$$$
$$$$$