Ringtone help

pootermoney

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
i am trying to make my own ringtones and i am at the step where i convert it to aac..but i don't know who to change the file extension to mr4..can someone walk me through..thanks
(and does the ringtone have to be cut down to a certain time in order to work)

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
1. Create a ringtone as mp3 (less than 30 seconds long).
2. Import into iTunes.
3. Convert to ACC.
4. Rename extension to m4r.
5. Drag the file into the ringtones folder.

You can then sync your custom ringtone with your iPhone. It works like a charm.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
The ringtone has to be less than 30 seconds for it to work. After you convert it to AAC, go to User>Music>iTunes>iTunes music and find the file in the artist folder. Most people don't put all the artist info on ringtone files so it might be in the unknown artis>unknown album folder. Once you see it in there, right click and rename it with a .m4r file extension instead of whatever it has (i can't remember right off hand). This is easier if you have your files set to show all extensions.

pootermoney

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
how do i get my files to show extensions? idk how to change the file extension to m4r

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
how do i get my files to show extensions? idk how to change the file extension to m4r
There is a thread on the 3G board that contains a link to a you tube video that walks you through the process. I'm ver visual, so it really helped make every step clear to me. I'm on my phone, so no cut & paste.. search for "How to make a ringtone in iTunes 7.7"

uu

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
After u convert your ringtone right click on it and then click on show in windows explored. That's how u change the file extension.