ringtone/txt...update future reference.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
u guys, is hte iPhone coming out with a new update netime soon and if so, do we need to wait for another jailbreak to occur so we can have 3rd party apps on the iPhone? because if i recall the 1.1.1 took about a month or so until someone found a way to hack into it.

PS: any updates on having ringtones and txt message ringtones on the 1.1.1 like we were able to do so with the 1.0.2 because im stil having trouble finding a way to get this done on my jailbroken 1.1.1 thanks guys :)

Boddiz

Oct 11, 2007
hi,

No-one knows when there is going to be another irmware update. Odds on it will be soon though, and we probably will have to wait again if its a major update.

I found a way to put ringtones onto my iPhone.

I installed the sendsong application through apptap, and when you open it, you can browse through your music, and when you find the song you cant as a ringtone, you tap it, and then tap, "send to ringtones".

Not sure if it works with txt message ringtones, and it only works with .m4a files.

(props to Erica Sadun for this great app)

Hope this helps,

Beau

Hope this helps,
Beau

dito

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
not working for me. i have it installed and it used to work on 1.0.2. it gives a confirmation tone that it sent to "ringtones" and i even see it, but when i go to "play" it there's no sound...?

hi,

No-one knows when there is going to be another irmware update. Odds on it will be soon though, and we probably will have to wait again if its a major update.

I installed the sendsong application through apptap, and when you open it, you can browse through your music, and when you find the song you cant as a ringtone, you tap it, and then tap, "send to ringtones".

Not sure if it works with txt message ringtones, and it only works with .m4a files.

(props to Erica Sadun for this great app)

Hope this helps,

Beau

Hope this helps,
Beau

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
the beta version of iPhoneringtonemaker works with 1.1.1 (for me). ymmv
i also hear that ifuntastic was updated to work with 1.1.1 (i don't have a mac, so i can't confirm)

however, AFAIK still no way to add SMS tones to 1.1.1 (although iBrickr works for all the other tones like voicemail, etc)

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
the beta version of iPhoneringtonemaker works with 1.1.1 (for me). ymmv
i also hear that ifuntastic was updated to work with 1.1.1 (i don't have a mac, so i can't confirm)

however, AFAIK still no way to add SMS tones to 1.1.1 (although iBrickr works for all the other tones like voicemail, etc)
whats AFAIK?

does iBrickr work with the Ringtones now? or not yet?

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
whats AFAIK?

does iBrickr work with the Ringtones now? or not yet?

I believe AFAIK is supposed to mean "as far as I know". Someone likes TEXT lagauge too much I guess. I'm pretty sure iBrickr isn't doin' ringtones yet. I know sendsong works but all of my music is mostly mp3 and I haven't found a good converter yet to convert them to m4a format, (at least for free or cheap). Was thinking about shelling out for iPhoneringtonemaker but not sure yet. I'm hatin' my stock tones though.:(

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
im hatin em too dude and i want my ringtones back for the text message but no one has a program for it yet like ibrickr worked before.

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
ok i did all that for the ringtone but the issue is i dono how to change from m4a or w/e to m4r. Ibrickr doesn't let u change that and iPhone browser doenst work says missing so so file iTunes.

how can i do this now?

jaepoori

Oct 16, 2007
well actually some people are expecting an update very soon, as soon as friday due to the launch of the iPhone europe. I believe the 1.1.2 update will have the new langauge update where you can type and see foreign characters. This is all from this and other forums as well as engadget and shits. good day

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
so noce this update comes about everythign on the iPhone will be lost until the next jailbreak for it if we update?

iMerlin

Silver
Sep 20, 2007
Algonquin, IL

Hell yeah Boddiz, this worked for me too.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
ok i did all that for the ringtone but the issue is i dono how to change from m4a or w/e to m4r. Ibrickr doesn't let u change that and iPhone browser doenst work says missing so so file iTunes.

how can i do this now?
I'm not sure which ringtone method you are trying. If you're attempting the method I linked, all you have to do is simply rename the m4a files to m4r. If you're using iBrickr, you'll have to save the m4a's to your computer, rename them, then upload them back. Be sure to leave a space between the names like the instruction says.

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
I'm not sure which ringtone method you are trying. If you're attempting the method I linked, all you have to do is simply rename the m4a files to m4r. If you're using iBrickr, you'll have to save the m4a's to your computer, rename them, then upload them back. Be sure to leave a space between the names like the instruction says.
im stuck on renaming from m4a to m4r. what program do u use to rename it? because when i change the "name" of it to " .m4r" and upload on my iPhone ibrickr says "Tones .m4r m4a" it includes both. how do i take it out?

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
im stuck on renaming from m4a to m4r. what program do u use to rename it? because when i change the "name" of it to " .m4r" and upload on my iPhone ibrickr says "Tones .m4r m4a" it includes both. how do i take it out?
Since iBrickr doesn't let you rename files, the best way is to download the .m4a files to your desktop and rename them on your computer. (If you're on Windows, make sure that "Hide extensions for known file types" is NOT checked....it's listed Folder Options--View). After you've renamed the .m4a files to m4r, upload them back to using iBrickr. BUT don't use the "Ringtones" option on iBrickr...instead, choose "Files". Navigate to /Library/Ringtones and drop the .m4r files in here.

Jul 18, 2007
Renaming Tones

Go to Start open My Computers. On top go to Tools, Folder Options, View. Scroll down and look for "Hide extensions for known file types." Make sure you uncheck it.

Go back to your converted Mp3. You should now see "---.m4a," Delete the "a" and change it to an "r." That should do it. Gl.

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
HELL YA IT WORKED! Thanks Azn and along with the rest that helped! :) now gotta work on the text mess ringtone one.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweepeR

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
is there ne way to get the original ringtone you replace with the custom text one back?

Last edited by a moderator: