ringtone work around help

Jan 27, 2008
Please help me, I had iPhoneringtonemaker, & I had not updated since 1.1.1 & they claimed the 2.0.1 beta worked with the new upgrade, I will never know because for whatever reason my ringtonemaker stopped working so that was money down the drain. Well I have read & tried the ringtone workaround. & I am doing all the steps correctly the ringtones show up in my ringtone folder, & they are 30 seconds. But when I go to sync my phone they are not there at all. Please can anyone help me..... is it because I went from 1.1.1 to 1.1.3? I am going nuts listning to the marimba ringtone, I miss all of my custom ringtones...... PLEASE HELP!

Also sorry if I am repeating a post, I just registered today, & just wanted to say hello to everyone also

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Welcome

Here is the How To that everyone here uses:

1. Find a song you want to use as a ringtone.
2. Use whatever program you use to "clip" a section under 30 seconds long.(Audacity is a Freeware Program)
3. Import into iTunes or Double click the shortened file and it will go into the "Music" section of iTunes and it will start to play.
4. Right click on the file and choose the "Convert to AAC" from the drop down menu.
5. You will now have two of the same files in the iTunes Music Playlist.
6. Right click on one of the two and choose "show in (to locate the file) explorer."
7. Right click on the song with the m4a to m4r extension. You can delete the other one from that folder. If you don't see the file extension then you need to open your Explorer (myComputer) go to tools/folder options/view then go and make sure you have un-checked next to "Hide extensions for known file types".
8. Change the extension from m4a to m4r.
9 Go to iTunes and delete BOTH of the files from the playlist. Just make sure you click on "keep files."
10. Now go back to the folder you have the m4r file and double click it. It should go into the "ringtone folder" of iTunes.
11. Connect your iPhone, click on the "ringtone" tab and the song you need will be on the list. Check the check box and press the apply button lower right

Jan 27, 2008
I have done all this the ringtones show up in the folder, & they are all checked to be added to my phone when I sync it but they do not show up when I sync my phone....... When I go to setting & then go to sounds they are not under the custom ringtones.....

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Then you are missing something in the tut, try doing just 1 ringtone first and start over, because there is only one way and that is above.

Jan 27, 2008
I have done this, I have been reading some of the other threads & I see some other people are having this 2. But could it be because I am not using audacity to cut the programs I am using the method were it shows you how to cut the songs using iTunes. & everything goes smoothly until I sync it. This is my first time updating my phone ever because I use to use iPhoneringtonemaker, & now since I updated I am back to square 1..... Do you think I should try & restore my phone & then try the ringtone method again? this is just getting to be so frustrating $14 down the drain, & now I can't get the free method to work.......

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Go to your mymusic, find iTunes folder in the folder find iTunes music folder. In this folder create a folder called ringtones. Move your m4r file into this folder, start iTunes. With iTunes program running, double left click the m4r file to make sure it plays (and it will also added) in the ringtone tab (could be the problem if it does not play there). Connect your iPhone to your computer, go to the iPhone ringtones tab and check sync ringtones and all ringtones. You should also see in that tab the ringtones (m4r files) that you added to iTunes. Click on sync on the bottom left of iTunes. During the sync process you should the ringtones being added. It is important to know that the ringtones you make or import from others should be around 30 seconds though I do have one at 37 seconds. I do not know how many you can add so far I am up to 19 ringtones.

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I have done this, I have been reading some of the other threads & I see some other people are having this 2. But could it be because I am not using audacity to cut the programs I am using the method were it shows you how to cut the songs using iTunes. & everything goes smoothly until I sync it. This is my first time updating my phone ever because I use to use iPhoneringtonemaker, & now since I updated I am back to square 1..... Do you think I should try & restore my phone & then try the ringtone method again? this is just getting to be so frustrating $14 down the drain, & now I can't get the free method to work.......

You can make them for free...

Now you are using the Apple ringtones.

It is still the same thing, does the extension still have the same .m4r ?

Also close iTunes and reboot the computer.

Open iTunes, dock the phone.

Find the ringtones in iTunes, copy them, open a new explorer folder, paste them in folder.

Now click on the ringtone tab in iTunes.

Now in the folder that you pasted into grab the ringtones and DRAG them and DROP then in the opened iTunes ringtone.

Go in the summary panel click the ringtone tab, make sure you have the ringtones checked and sync.

If it does not work...........then

Mustangous

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I have tried the above steps on my friends phone first at his house and everything worked great. Then i tried mine and it didn't work. I didn't have the custom ringtone section on my sounds settings page. So i did a search and i found some where a little tip. I noticed that during the end of the sync that my phone will stop syncing and start again for a couple of secs and stop again. I have read that as soon as your phone stops syncing the first time to pull it out. Well i tried this and it worked. Its works but it is really annoying to do.

Anyone have any reasons for this? I tried reboots and ect.....

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
I have tried the above steps on my friends phone first at his house and everything worked great. Then i tried mine and it didn't work. I didn't have the custom ringtone section on my sounds settings page. So i did a search and i found some where a little tip. I noticed that during the end of the sync that my phone will stop syncing and start again for a couple of secs and stop again. I have read that as soon as your phone stops syncing the first time to pull it out. Well i tried this and it worked. Its works but it is really annoying to do.

Anyone have any reasons for this? I tried reboots and ect.....
The second sync maybe the iPhoneringtonemaker (if you are using that) if so go in your windows task manager (if you are using a pc) and under process tab end the iPhoneringtonemaker process.

Mustangous

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
The second sync maybe the iPhoneringtonemaker (if you are using that) if so go in your windows task manager (if you are using a pc) and under process tab end the iPhoneringtonemaker process.
Originally I had the iPhoneringtone make and I had never updated my phone since I bought it in June, but this time I decided to use the work around. It work perfectly for my buddies phone. My iPhone it did not work. So I read somewhere to try unpluging the iPhone as soon as it shuts off and before it starts to sync again. It had worked for me. I don't know if it is because I had originally used the iPhoneringtone maker in the beginning and my buddy just bought the iPhone and never used the program, I don't know? But it is a llittle annoying to try and time it and pull it out of the dock when syncing, but it is working this way....

Oh and since my iPhone update I had not use or downloaded the newiPhoneringronemaker update as of yet. I I had not used it.

Jan 27, 2008
kimo thankyou for the suggestion about the creating a ringtone folder in my iTunes that was what I was missing all along, as soon as I did that everything worked perfect. :laugh2:

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
kimo thankyou for the suggestion about the creating a ringtone folder in my iTunes that was what I was missing all along, as soon as I did that everything worked perfect. :laugh2:
Your welcome! That is one of the things I saw on EIC some while back when I started making ringtones before I had my iPhone (I was waiting for my B-day to happen for the iPhone was going to be a present).

Enjoy!

Aug 15, 2007
a little off topic guys but does anyone know which folder the custom ringtones are held in the iPhone?

i want to SSH into there. Is it "/var/mobile/Library/Media/Ringtones"?

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
a little off topic guys but does anyone know which folder the custom ringtones are held in the iPhone?

i want to SSH into there. Is it "/var/mobile/Library/Media/Ringtones"?
User/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album