Ringtones - Do you use them?

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I was just wondering if there's something I'm missing about ringtones. I have always preferred the discreet alert of the vibrate mode and find it interesting when people lament the lack of customizable ringtones on the pristine iPhone. Obviously, people who keep their phones in handbags do need audible alerts. So, do you use custom ringtones, and if you do, what do they say about you and your audio preferences?

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Ringtones are the worst thing since New Coke. My only ringtones are of phones....ringing. :)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I use the Crank ringtone, which sounds like an old mobile phone ringer with dying batteries.

I'm not really keen on musical ringtones, I prefer digital ringer sounds like office phones, old mobiles and such. They're loud and more reliable when I'm not using the vibrate feature.

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
I use ringtones. I love music. I love hearing the songs that remind me of my favorite people, knowing who's calling before I reach for the phone. And of course having the option to just ignore!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I've actually only made 2 ringtones. The first was a clip of "Can't Stop" by The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Didn't like it, went back to Marimba. Now I'm using 19 seconds of "Clocks" by Coldplay, just an instrumental part, and I like it.

chris201

Bronze
Oct 1, 2007
I use ring tones as I like knowing who is calling before I look at the phone. On top of I hate the ring tones that come with the phone they are boring and just more annoying to me than the ring tones i can make. I have always made my ring tones for the last couple years as every phone I have had has had crappy ring tones.

powersrus

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Battle Creek, MI.
I use the Crank ringtone, which sounds like an old mobile phone ringer with dying batteries.

I'm not really keen on musical ringtones, I prefer digital ringer sounds like office phones, old mobiles and such. They're loud and more reliable when I'm not using the vibrate feature.

Just wondering where you find some of the ringtones you use..cause thats what I prefer also, but I haven't been able to find many. thanks:laugh2:

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I find that most people who use customized ringtones (rock songs for example) either of their own making or from iTunes, simply want others within earshot to know how cool they are by using a particular song for their ringer.

Here's a bit of advice for those people... Your music sucks. No one cares who or what you listen to. They're not going to suddenly stop and say, "Wow! Your ringtone is the best music I've ever heard. You have enlightened me and made the world a better place to live. Thank you!"

That being said, my music sucks too. Vibrate is the best ringtone I've ever used.

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I find that most people who use customized ringtones (rock songs for example) either of their own making or from iTunes, simply want others within earshot to know how cool they are by using a particular song for their ringer.
I guess that's one big reason for having them - the "I'm so cool" factor. To be sure, I've heard many interesting ones...they can be great conversation starters. However, I think it's a tad annoying and plainly uncouth to let your ringtone play longer than it normally takes to retrieve the phone to answer or decline the call.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
The only real reason I use different ringtones is so that I can differentiate between callers without having to get the phone out of my pocket.

H

Hayesimus

okay i'm sorry but how lame must you BE to be that jealous of someone that uses customize ringtones to condescend them and make it sound like they are just attempting to be "cool"? I use customize ringtones for several reasons. I like music. All kinds from classical and opera to rock, hip-hop, and pop. I will draw the line at country though. Sure there are a very few i enjoy but not as a genre. So one reason i use custom tones is because i enjoy the momentary reprieve from the mundane daily routine while i listen to that tone. Second, as many have stated, its extremely comforting to know who is calling the instant the ringer begins. Its so funny too. because once a ringtone has been set as a personal ID it forever changes the emotional impact of that song. I have a great bond with my best friend, he is like the brother i've never had and our friendship will last forever. That being said, we kind of had a falling out a couple of months ago because of some things and we just stopped talking. Neither of us was mad really, just things had gone awry. ANYWAY, i heard his ringtone on someone else's phone and i instantly got depressed. The only way to stop feeling bad was to quit thinking about all that had happened between us. But as soon as i heard the song it reminded me of what i was sure i had lost. We have since reconciled and are well on our way to an even stronger friendship knowing that no matter how bad things got, we will always be there for each other. STILL, everytime i hear that song i think that i could've lost our friendship forever. I guess what i'm saying is, when that ringtone is going off, i don't give a damn what people think of it. because to me, its is affirmation that i still have my best friend. and for that i am glad. wow, did i ever ramble. golly, look at me talkin about my emotions and what not. anyone have a tissue? lol

oh yeah, and like someone else said, they are a great conversation starter. well they used to be. people would be like hey i love that song, bluetooth it to me! but since i have the iPhone now... yeah, sucks that i can't bluetooth them anymore.

Hecubus

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
okay i'm sorry but how lame must you BE to be that jealous of someone that uses customize ringtones to condescend them and make it sound like they are just attempting to be "cool"?
Yeah. Great. Assuming you're addressing me since you didn't quote my post, I guess you completely missed the sarcastic, self-deprecating, and negating segment of my post that stated my music sucks too. I so "lame" to "BE" that "jealous" of such obtuseness.

Cool avatar, btw.

H

Hayesimus

i'm just saying that i nearly took offense to it being that i and many many others use custom ringtones. my question isn't invalid. for someone to comment on someone else's attempts at being cool? seems like either you think that you are just WAY cooler than they are or that you wish you were as cool as them. either way it doesn't matter. i believe i adequately explained myself in the post. my main point was that i do it not because i want to be cool, but because it connects me to the people i care about in a personal way. and i think that most people can relate. anyway, i'm not usually confrontational, but you seem to be.

H

Hayesimus

and thanks, about the avatar that is. made it myself. :D

Kipper

Bronze
I responded in a thread similar to this. I need my ringers loud. I have the "annoying" ringtone. I drive a UPS truck all day and my truck is a turbo diesel. For those that know, diesels are loud as hell and I need something loud enough so I can hear over the engine. Custom ringtones have always been a part of modding for me since I had Nextel back in the days.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I couldn't disagree more! Personally I could care less about what a person thinks about a ring tone. I need one that is audible, professional, and distinct to the caller. Most often when I get a call I want the ability to respond to the call if it is needed and the only way to do that consistently, for me, is to not have to look at the screen each time a call comes in.

Here is an example. I am riding my bike (I commute by bike when the weather is fair or better). The phone is either in my backpack or buried under layers. I will have my earphones in, I hear the ring. It is not my wife or boss, I ignore it for safety reasons, if it is either of them I answer it. Sadly I get a fair number of calls from work and family/friends that someone calls when I am riding. Either way I could care less what a person thinks of the ringtone, actually I would criticize them and tell them to mind their own businesss. At work cell phones are how we communicate, we are frequently away from our desks and we don't use a PA or paging system....

FASN8N

Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I was just wondering if there's something I'm missing about ringtones. I have always preferred the discreet alert of the vibrate mode and find it interesting when people lament the lack of customizable ringtones on the pristine iPhone. Obviously, people who keep their phones in handbags do need audible alerts. So, do you use custom ringtones, and if you do, what do they say about you and your audio preferences?

Just my opinion, but I think the ringtones are discourteous and just another way for the "look at me" crowd to try and feel important.

If the phone is on vibrate, you always know when someone is calling and you don't have to be that offensive person that annoys everyone around you.

H

Hayesimus

just because you get annoyed doesn't mean anyone else is. i've had more people be like,"hey cool, can you bluetooth that to me?" actually i've never even gotten a bad look. Maybe people where i'm from are less judgmental

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I have a different ring tone for virtually everyone in my phone book.

I have one for every woman in my life. That way I don't get confused who is calling me. When I am with one woman, I don't want to get confused if another one calls me.

Then I have ring tones for people at work. I am sometimes on-call at work, so if the phone rings at 1am, I'd like to know if it is work related, before I answer it.

I use a tool called Nero Wave Editor. It allows me to take a regular MP3 file, slice out a piece of the song I like and then I use iBrickr to upload the ring tone to my iPhone.

Many an hour at work has been spent making new ring tones :) I think they rock!

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
i've seen this thread bumped a few times on the forum so i figured i'd go ahead and read the lengthy posts and contribute :p

i love ringtones, end of story. back when i had my Samsung D900 i could easily create ringtones with the software that came with the phone or i could take any song from my memory card and make it a ringtone. music is a huge part of my life and every day i listen to whatever depending on my mood, and with this changed my ringtone. i even made different profiles for different days depending on which band my ringtone was. rongtones to me brighten my day because no matter what im doing, i'm usually happy when i hear one of my favorite songs. that sounds kinda dumb, but it's the truth. and as for different songs for different people, i used to do that but sometimes it put a negative connotation to that song if something happened with that friend(dammit).

even with that, i don't find them obnoxious at all. it's quite hilarious when someones cellphone goes off during a lecture, and even funnier when it's "byebyebye" or something along those lines. but since i adopted my iPhone(i saved it from that terrible AT&T store :p) i have only made one legit ringtone, and that is My Sharona redone by The Number Twelve Looks Like You.

and as for a conversation starter, they are pretty great. i have a very selective taste in music, even though it branches from hip-hop, to rap, to screamo, and when i hear someone with a band i like, i'll most likely make a comment to them, thus making a new friend(that sounds lame and almost stalkerish o.o; )

with all that said, i am not the person who lets it ring and ring just to hear it, and to be honest, my phone is usually on vibrate due to school or work.