Ringtones now Available on iTunes.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

chavezr6

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Just loaded up my iPhone and little message came up asking if I would like to see what songs on my list are available to make into ringtones so i clicked yes and now there is a little bell with the ability, I assume, to do this.

mediarite

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
ColoRADo
27 songs of the 3000 in my library were authorized for ringtones. I created one. It worked well. I now have a Ringtones library at the top left of iTunes. Now I can delete the old ringtones that I created for free and Apple won't let me use. WooHoo. :mad:

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
27 songs of the 3000 in my library were authorized for ringtones. I created one. It worked well. I now have a Ringtones library at the top left of iTunes. Now I can delete the old ringtones that I created for free and Apple won't let me use. WooHoo. :mad:
Did you have to do anything for the songs to show up as ringtones or did the "bell" just appear on your list?

I am still a little unclear how this works. If I have purchased a CD and want a ringtone, will I still have to buy it through iTunes, or will it simply recognize the song? Is there some tab or button to get iTunes to check my library for potential ringtones? I still can't believe that not one of our 4000 songs is available...

Thanks!

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Unless you've previously purchased the song FROM iTunes then you will NOT be able to make a ringtone out of that song. I haven't purchased any of my songs through iTunes so I will not be able to make any (legitimate) ringtones using iTunes.

SpongebObiWan

Bronze
Aug 25, 2007
See mediarite's post above:

"Right-click on the header bar across the top of your music library and select Ringtone"

Once you open up the menu by doing the above and click on "ringtone", a new column will appear on you iTunes with a little bell in the header. Scroll through your music selections to see if you have any with a bell. Those are the songs you can make ringtones from.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
I feel like this is my first REAL gripe with the iPhone. I've been patient about updates, and though ringtones aren't all that important to me, I did buy one and try it out.

First off, it seems a little buggy when you first get it going. It did ask me if I wanted to see what songs were available and I said yes. I can't tell you exact percentages, but of about 2000 songs I've bought through iTunes, VERY few are available as ringtones. Okay, no biggie... that will grow as time goes on.

BUT, I wanted the new Paul McCartney song - you know, "Dance Tonight"... the one in the iPod commercials and the one Steve actually demoed in his keynote. Well guess what... that one isn't available... ARGH!

Okay, no biggie... I'll pick a different song.

So I did. Devils & Angels. I make the ringtone, all is good.
Sync it to my phone. For the most part, all is good in syncing.

But it SOUNDS LIKE CRAP. I'm assuming it has something to do with the way they recompress it to make it a smaller file size, because while regular music through the speakers doesn't sound great, it sounds 100 times better than the ringtone.

None of this is a deal breaker for me when it comes to the iPhone because, like I said, ringtones aren't all that important to me... but come on... Apple has, in part, become known for their music store, so the least that could happen is that the ringtones sound decent. No, I don't expect superb quality, but not really CRAPPY either.

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
Unless you've previously purchased the song FROM iTunes then you will NOT be able to make a ringtone out of that song. I haven't purchased any of my songs through iTunes so I will not be able to make any (legitimate) ringtones using iTunes.
Thanks. This is bad news, but not altogether unexpected.
:(

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
My biggest gripe is that a dollar for a ringtone in addition to a song purchase is too steep. I've never complained about $1 songs or $1.30 DRM free songs, but another $1 for ringtones is too much...

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
Help please :)

K...so i bought 2 ringtones, both had the little bells. I paid for these on the iTunes store. When trying to sync to my phone it tells me that it cannot sync, because they are protected files and i do not have permission to play them on this computer. I bought both the song and then created the ringtone using iTunes and then bought the ringtone! what the heck?

K...so i bought 2 ringtones, both had the little bells. I paid for these on the iTunes store. When trying to sync to my phone it tells me that it cannot sync, because they are protected files and i do not have permission to play them on this computer. I bought both the song and then created the ringtone using iTunes and then bought the ringtone! what the heck?
You have to reauthorize your computer, than they will sync.

mediarite

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
ColoRADo

Make sure you select "Authorize Computer" under "Store" in iTunes.

Austinsdc

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
Thanks guys! I had thought of that, but i always have used this computer and i don't get why it would be unauthorized since they let me BUY them on this computer.........weird :)

AquaHump

Jul 30, 2007
DE
I put 2 tones on today just tp play with it. If you don't know what you are doing it can be a little convoluted. First you have to turn the ring tones on in your view options and then you have to authorize you computer. Then you find a song with a bell you like then you buy it then you right click it and go to create ring tone and select that then you have to chose the bite and the langth of the bite then you buy the ring tone.
What I don't like is if you want to do use the same song for 2 diffrent tones then you will have to pay anthoer buck for the 2nd bite you take from the song.

DanUC6

Bronze
Jun 2, 2007
Thanks guys! I had thought of that, but i always have used this computer and i don't get why it would be unauthorized since they let me BUY them on this computer.........weird :)
I got the same thing...it was like i had to re-authorrize my computer again?!?!?!