ringtones poll

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

What is your opinion on ringtones?

• Total voters

SkyyBoy

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
Hawaii
restrictions on having my own custom ringtones is the main reason that I have yet to install the 1.1.1 upgrade.
if I lawfuly own the CD, I fail to see why I should be forced to pay $2 to be able to use a 30sec snippet of a song for a ringtone...
when they get a final version of iPhoneringtonemaker that works with 1.1.1 then I may finally upgrade. :rolleyes:

H

Hayesimus

i concur. ESPECIALLY since i have several albums i downloaded on iTunes. so why would i pay for the song, and then pay AGAIN to make it into a ringtone. Pay to the same person twice? no. not gonna happen. Apple is a Nazi

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
i concur. ESPECIALLY since i have several albums i downloaded on iTunes. so why would i pay for the song, and then pay AGAIN to make it into a ringtone. Pay to the same person twice? no. not gonna happen. Apple is a Nazi
I paid twice for a couple:( Apple has me by the wallet. (I did not mod my phone and I have 1.1.1.)

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I love my ringtones....got about 10 or 12 that I have tied to certain people so I know whom's ringing..

No way I would EVER pay Apple...they are already my cds I purchased...I just edited some of those songs into ringers....:laugh2:

H

Hayesimus

same here. i have... almost 60 ringtones lol. i know a lot of peeps what can i say. lol

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
that was the one thing I didn't like about 1.1.1 but I have custmring tones with the new version of send song I just convert to acc add the song to the phone and send song converts it to ringtone for free

H

Hayesimus

brianhyp does everyone know of this method for ringtones? cause i've heard many people looking for ways to get ringtones with 1.1.1 and none of them have had any luck. lol

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
that was the one thing I didn't like about 1.1.1 but I have custmring tones with the new version of send song I just convert to acc add the song to the phone and send song converts it to ringtone for free
Do you have to mod your phone to do this? I am not versed in this, so do not make fun of my ignorance please.

brianhyp

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
yeah I used jailbreak for 1.1.1. On the iPhone dev team webpage (just do a search for the URL and follow instructions then I got this new version of send song its kinds buggy though. I don't mind paying for the ringtone cause for two dollars you get the full version of the song and you can edit the ringtone exactly how you want. The thing I don't like is the shitty selection of songs that you can chose from

beej

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
I've not spent much time on technology forums before EIP, so I was really surprised how worked up people got over (the lack of) ringtones. My phone stays on vibrate half the time anyway, so when it is on I don't care too much what it sounds like, as long as I can hear it ringing. The screen will tell me who's calling. Definitely don't want to be subjecting everyone around me to my musical tastes.

More power to ya if you need the latest 50cent track to let you know your mom is calling, but I'll stick with Old Phone.

plasmo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007
I've not spent much time on technology forums before EIP, so I was really surprised how worked up people got over (the lack of) ringtones. My phone stays on vibrate half the time anyway, so when it is on I don't care too much what it sounds like, as long as I can hear it ringing. The screen will tell me who's calling. Definitely don't want to be subjecting everyone around me to my musical tastes.

More power to ya if you need the latest 50cent track to let you know your mom is calling, but I'll stick with Old Phone.

I agree with you 100%.
I actually wished they had more "normal/traditional" and discrete ringtones on the phone. I'm in a professional work environment, and really can't have my iPhone blaring T.I. or 50cent when the wife calls. Ducks or a barking dog really doesn't work either :p.

I also am also surprised no one is making a big fuss (or petition to Apple for that matter) about charging people $ for putting music we already own on our phones as ringtones (without the need to mod it, of course).

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I agree with you 100%.
I actually wished they had more "normal/traditional" and discrete ringtones on the phone. I'm in a professional work environment, and really can't have my iPhone blaring T.I. or 50cent when the wife calls. Ducks or a barking dog really doesn't work either :p.

I also am also surprised no one is making a big fuss (or petition to Apple for that matter) about charging people $ for putting music we already own on our phones as ringtones (without the need to mod it, of course).
This is my situation too. I have tones that I created from songs I have the CDs for that are more professional in nature. A good example is the first 20 seconds or so of the song "Name" by the goo goo dolls. It gradually increases in volume and is a nice guitar based tone. If it goes off in a meeting it is nothing I want to palm my head over. The stock tones, for the most part, suck donkey balls. Most I cannot hear when in a place other then a silent room, and the other half I can't use in the office (such as the bark, quack, etc). Custom tones is the way to go! Wish Apple would see this and stop the strict use of iTunes tones only. It is sooo very limited and the songs I use are not available as tones through them....

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
While it was fun for a while, I'm pretty tired of custom ring tones. Ever since they started making fun of Michael Scott's custom ring tones on The Office, I've tried to avoid them. Evidently, many people consider them to be obnoxious.

H

Hayesimus

i think the people that make fun of them are jealous on some level. cause they frown upon it because they think it is cool and they pretend its their own choice to not use ringtones so that they won't look cool. like they have control of it. haha

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
My requirement for a ring tone is that I hear it when someone calls. My phone comes with many such ring tones, so I never have a reason to install custom ones.

How do you peeps live with your home and office phones for which you usually can't get custom ring tones? :p